What’s your favourite new feature from the upcoming 14.0-RELEASE

I don't know if my Corsair K70 keyboard will get properly detected with the new kernel.
I'm using it but in BIOS mode that gets a annoying blinking led all time and no function keys at all.
So I will be pleased with bug and security fix and that's it.
That should be fixed long time ago with the following commit (wonder what release you are running) and I used corsair k65 back in 2020:
Code:
commit d4028678f27c762603661745f86896cb2870109c
Author: Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky@FreeBSD.org>
Date:   Thu Feb 13 16:03:12 2020 +0000

Improve USB gaming keyboard support.

Add support for decoding pressed keys as a bitmap. The keys in the
    bitmap are described in the interface specific HID descriptor. Some
    keyboards even have multiple input interfaces, only using the bitmap
    method when the event array is full. That typically means when more
    than seven keys are pressed simultaneously.

The internals of the USB keyboard driver have been slightly reworked
    to keep track of all keys in a single bitmap having 256 bits. This
    bitmap is then divided into blocks of 64-bits as an optimisation.

Simplify automatic key repeat logic, because only the last key pressed
    can be repeated.

PR:     224592
    PR:     233884
    Tested by:      Alex V. Petrov <alexvpetrov@gmail.com>
    MFC after:      1 week
    Sponsored by:   Mellanox Technologies

I'm really confused with wifi card support being an issue/barrier for people. Anyone with a screwdriver can swap a laptop's wifi card with one supported by FreeBSD. Even laptops with soldered-on RAM almost always have removable standard wifi cards.

$30 or so for a supported card and you're golden. I've done this for countless Windows and Linux laptops.

That should be fixed long time ago with the following commit (wonder what release you are running) and I used corsair k65 back in 2020:
Code:

can be repeated.

It does not seem to work with this keyboard.
It detects, according to logs files, but key pressing does absolutely nothing, the only way is to enable BIOS mode key combination in the keyboard.

I'm really confused with wifi card support being an issue/barrier for people. Anyone with a screwdriver can swap a laptop's wifi card with one supported by FreeBSD. Even laptops with soldered-on RAM almost always have removable standard wifi cards.

$30 or so for a supported card and you're golden. I've done this for countless Windows and Linux laptops.

I have just seen a laptop with glued in Wifi M.2 card.

I'm also reasonably sure some Thinkpad or other has a soldered Wifi chip (X1 Carbon?).

Most issues described here are resolved in a macbook.
Sure it's quite a different when an OS that is developed for a specific hardware.
It's been quite some time I've been daily using FreeBSD as a workstation and here are the issues I still have to deal with.
I would like to have more USB plug'n'play support, bluetooth device management tools and to be able to watch netflix or spotify here, etc.
I developed a BT management tool but it stopped working for some reason while it was still on alpha tests.
It's kind of exhausting to go after this and that change and adjust the code to make it work again.
So I just decided to use USB headsets and that's it.

Most issues described here are resolved in a macbook.
Soldered RAM, soldered SSD, soldered WIFI, glued-in battery. Built-in obsolescence by design. Proprietary screws, and parts/upgrades that cost 5-10 times over commodity pricing.

An over-priced fashion-statement status-symbol more than a practical tool. My existing laptop has a better display than a Macbook has ever had (4K OLED touchscreen). I upgraded the storage already since I originally bought it by adding a second SSD, and I'm about to upgrade the RAM. And I didn't have to buy a whole new laptop to do either.

No thank you. Not if you gave me one for free.

/offtopic

Code:

can be repeated.

Sorry for posting this one here but what driver should it use?
It gets detected but no typing at all, it only works when I press the key combination for Keyboard BIOS mode.

Xorg.0.log

[ 37.934] (II) config/udev: Adding input device Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard (/dev/input/event7)
[ 37.934] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard: Applying InputClass "Evdev keyboard"
[ 37.934] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
[ 37.934] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard: Applying InputClass "KeyboardDefaults"
[ 37.934] (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard'
[ 37.934] (**) Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard: always reports core events
[ 37.934] (**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/event7"
[ 37.934] (II) event7 - Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/3.08, addr 4: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 37.934] (II) event7 - Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/3.08, addr 4: device is a keyboard
[ 37.944] (II) event7 - Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/3.08, addr 4: device removed
[ 37.944] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/dev/input/event7"
[ 37.944] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD, id 12)
[ 37.944] (**) Option "xkb_rules" "evdev"
[ 37.944] (**) Option "xkb_layout" "pt"
[ 37.944] (II) event7 - Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/3.08, addr 4: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
[ 37.944] (II) event7 - Corsair Corsair Gaming K68 Keyboard, class 0/0, rev 2.00/3.08, addr 4: device is a keyboard

What's your favourite new feature?
As I look through the changes/features I have to wonder if this really warranted a .0 release. Perhaps more appropriately 13.3? What do others think? Maybe adjust the question to be "what features/changes do you feel warranted bumping to 14.0?"

The question was asked by blazingice on page 1, <https://forums.freebsd.org/posts/624287>.

As I look through the changes/features I have to wonder if this really warranted a .0 release.

Release notes e.g. at <https://www.freebsd.org/releases/14.0R/> tend to be relatively dry.

For marketing, I expect The FreeBSD Foundation will publish something to summarise what's most likely to appeal to various audiences.

Perhaps more appropriately 13.3? …

Not suitable for deprecations. mergemaster(8), for example.

Yes, but afaik it's currently fast or stable, pick one.

$ uname -bimoprs
FreeBSD 14.0-RC4 arm64 aarch64 GENERIC bf03a8d54af18e2b9e21ee3d52c4e243e19e965e
$ speedtest-go
✓ Latency: 5.005271ms Jitter: 522.785µs Min: 4.288402ms Max: 5.759092ms
✓ Download: 926.09Mbps (used: 1103.99MB)
✓ Upload: 598.00Mbps (used: 712.88MB)

I was quite surprised to see pi4 do this well!

$ uname -bimoprs
FreeBSD 14.0-RC4 arm64 aarch64 GENERIC bf03a8d54af18e2b9e21ee3d52c4e243e19e965e
$ speedtest-go
✓ Latency: 5.005271ms Jitter: 522.785µs Min: 4.288402ms Max: 5.759092ms
✓ Download: 926.09Mbps (used: 1103.99MB)
✓ Upload: 598.00Mbps (used: 712.88MB)

I was quite surprised to see pi4 do this well!
How about uname -urk ? ;)

I don't know if my Corsair K68 keyboard will get properly detected with the new kernel.
I'm using it but in BIOS mode that gets a annoying blinking led all time and no function keys at all.
So I will be pleased with bug and security fix and that's it.
I have the k68 as well and I have that blinking light too and it's a little annoying but it's not terrible.

I have the k68 as well and I have that blinking light too and it's a little annoying but it's not terrible.
it's not the blinking led what mostly bugs me, I could cover it with a tape if I wanted, the problem is the functions keys, multimedia shortcuts, sound volume/mute etc.

it's not the blinking led what mostly bugs me, I could cover it with a tape if I wanted, the problem is the functions keys, multimedia shortcuts, sound volume/mute etc.
I have learned to not expect THAT stuff to work very well under FreeBSD. Function keys can be reprogrammed under FreeBSD (F5 works to refresh a browser page), but every keyboard maker does multimedia slightly different.

Incidentally, sh(1) is not a default for non-root users.
That is not what I am finding. Maybe something changed.
root is now using sh by default.
Code:
# echo $0
echo $0
sh

Same with users:
Code:
# adduser
adduser
Username: user
Full name: user
Uid (Leave empty for default):
Login group [user]:
Login group is user. Invite user into other groups? []: wheel video
Login class [default]:
Shell (sh csh tcsh nologin) [sh]:

The default shell for the shell script version of adduser(8) is /bin/sh from the beginning.
https://cgit.freebsd.org/src/commit...h?id=7cdfce092a396d008843dce3402951ab466843f4
Code:
 author   Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org>        2002-12-03 05:41:09 +0000
committer Scott Long <scottl@FreeBSD.org>        2002-12-03 05:41:09 +0000

+#### END SUBROUTINE DEFENITION ####
+
+THISCMD=`/usr/bin/basename $0`
+DEFAULTSHELL=/bin/sh
+ADDUSERCONF="${ADDUSERCONF:-/etc/adduser.conf}"
+PWCMD="${PWCMD:-/usr/sbin/pw}"
+MAILCMD="${MAILCMD:-mail}"
+ETCSHELLS="${ETCSHELLS:-/etc/shells}"
The example of adduser.conf(5) is /bin/csh.
Code:
EXAMPLES
           defaultshell=/bin/csh

I have just seen a laptop with glued in Wifi M.2 card.

I'm also reasonably sure some Thinkpad or other has a soldered Wifi chip (X1 Carbon?).
Some laptops even worse.

My wife's laptop has a soldered M.2 SSD. And we cannot access the BIOS. Not even through the manufacturers Windows BIOS utility that only displays the BIOS version.. There is no way to boot anything else except Windows.

Some laptops are locked down. Others not. A person has got to be careful when purchasing a laptop. Even a Windows laptop. Or you'll be at the vendors whims.

Back