Solved What's gone wrong with 11.0R packages

Keve

Hello Forum!
Today I installed a new PC, FreeBSD 11.0R/amd64 from the official memstick.img installer. I booted the new system and did the below.
Code:
  freebsd-update fetch install
  reboot
  pkg bootstrap
  pkg install xorg
Everything went well. But Xorg -configure crashes and core-dumps. I tried the same without running freebsd-update, same result. The package for my CLI developer tool, motor, also installs fine but crashes when run. I have installed FreeBSD 11.0R and Xorg this very same way multiple times in the past months, always worked fine.
What happened to the 11.0R packages?
I speculate that the packages changed in preparation for a new FreeBSD release. But I am uncertain if this is supposed to behave this way now, or if somebody in the release engineering team made a mistake.
Did I miss something, or should I report this as a problem?
I really don't want to build all my 11.0R packages from ports, because they take multiple days to compile.

Regards,
Keve

drhowarddrfine

Son of Beastie

Someone will come in here to tell you not run xorg -configure anymore. I've not had to reinstall our OSes in a couple of years so I don't know what the Handbook says about that either. I just know I don't have a xorg.conf either.

EDIT:
https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html
Video cards, monitors, and input devices are automatically detected and do not require any manual configuration. Do not create xorg.conf or run a -configure step unless automatic configuration fails.

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

I recently moved a hard disk from one machine to another and I had to delete my /etc/xorg.conf for it to work.
Have you tried to delete xorg.conf.
I also have to pkg install xf86-video-intel for my video card.

Phishfry

Son of Beastie

You might have other issues if your seeing crashes with a fresh install.
I dunno what 'motor' is but I do your same setup routine alot and it works fine.
Install base, patch, install xorg and xfce.

I don't use pkg bootstrap just do pkg install xorg xfce xf86-video-intel. pkg bootstraps itself just fine.

OP
Keve

Keve

I was aware that an xorg.conf file was no longer required. But I am an old style person and I like having such configuration files around. Especially because there are options which I like configured, but can never be autodetected. For example, a dual keyboard layout and the possibility to switch between them.

I usually started with Xorg -configure, and then fine tuned the generated basics with my additional lines. This has always worked fine on any of my computers, this time however, it core-dumped with this output.
Code:
root@demo:~ # Xorg -configure

X.Org X Server 1.18.4
Release Date: 2016-07-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p10 amd64
Current Operating System: FreeBSD demo 11.0-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p9 #0: Tue Apr 11 08:48:40 UTC 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64
Build Date: 08 July 2017  01:52:24AM
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
   Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
   to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
   (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
   (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon Jul 10 09:18:22 2017
List of video drivers:
   vesa
   modesetting
   scfb
scfb trace: probe start
(++) Using config file: "/root/xorg.conf.new"
(EE)
(EE) Backtrace:
(EE) 0: /usr/local/bin/Xorg (OsInit+0x38a) [0x5abfba]
(EE) 1: /lib/libthr.so.3 (_pthread_sigmask+0x50d) [0x8025cebbd]
(EE) 2: /lib/libthr.so.3 (_pthread_getspecific+0xe9f) [0x8025ceacf]
(EE) 3: ? (?+0xe9f) [0x7ffffffffea2]
(EE) 4: ? (?+0xe9f) [0xe9f]
(EE) 5: /usr/local/bin/Xorg (InitOutput+0x11ea) [0x47faca]
(EE) 6: /usr/local/bin/Xorg (remove_fs_handlers+0x38b) [0x43b48b]
(EE) 7: /usr/local/bin/Xorg (_start+0x17f) [0x42506f]
(EE) 8: ? (?+0x17f) [0x80083217f]
(EE)
(EE) Segmentation fault at address 0x0
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) Caught signal 11 (Segmentation fault). Server aborting
(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
    at http://wiki.x.org
 for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
Abort (core dumped)
root@demo:~ #

Further investigation proved that a usable basic xorg.conf.new is generated. So I can add my extra lines. Also, xorg does start and works fine, contrary to -configure failing. And this happens not only on the Dell Optiplex 780 desktops I encountered the trouble on, but behaves exactly the same on the HP Elite 8000 desktops too.
I have not seen -configure failing before. Hence my initial confusion.
I checked the xorg package on the 11.0-R dvd ISO believing that an earlier xorg version was available, but it seems to include the same 7.7_3 version, both on the DVD and in the ftp repository.

Thank you for the pointers on the intel driver! I was not used to explicitly installing xf86-video-intel. This is new for me. Last time I configured Xorg, the intel driver was automatically included when I did a pkg install xorg.

I still don't know why Xorg -configure fails now, but it does not seem to be relevant for now. Because everything works. So I will just ignore this error and avoid using -configure. At least until I can find out more about the issue.