What you've all been waiting for: UbuntuBSD

How many of you will be deleting FreeBSD and installing this?

• Total voters
I do not like this kind of infringing marketing approach. I'm not "all" and I do not wait for anything like Ubuntu.

How many of you will be deleting FreeBSD and installing this?
I'm not that insane jumping on everything in front of me. :)

The FreeBSD kernel we are proud of. But the kernel is only a part of FreeBSD. FreeBSD is more than the sum of its parts.

But there might be a reason deleting FreeBSD: If once upon a time FreeBSD gets a systemd, which I do not hope that this will happen.

See also this, when an OS becomes an adversary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_(operating_system)#Amazon_controversy No one is waiting for such.

It's running XFCE if you follow the link a bit
I don't think the OP thinks anyone will be deleting FreeBSD, but it looks a bit interesting. I doubt it will have any more success than the other ones mentioned.

I do not like this kind of infringing marketing approach. I'm not "all" and I do not wait for anything like Ubuntu.

+1

Is the BSD part trademarked by itself? Or not? I dunno. But "Ubuntu" is the whole word (or acronym). I don't know how a certain university in South Cali or Ubuntu might view that sort of thing. Can parts of other's TM be combined with other stuff and then it doesn't matter? Again - I've no clue. Maybe the TM holders don't care if it's completely non-commercial.

I almost thought it was trolling or a flamewar, until I noticed it was a BSD. This is good, actually. GNU programs need it's own BSD to focus on, because it has different goals from FreeBSD. However, I don't like the implication that we would rush out of here, from one of the BSD's that started the basis for a type of good Operating System.

Do you honestly think the OP really thought that was a serious option--that someone will see this, say woo-hoo in a Homer Simpson tone, then delete their current BSD installs to install this? I really feel they were phrasingg it that way to be a bit tongue-in-cheek. (If there are any non-native English speakers missing any of these references, my point is just that I don't think the original poster really thinks that people will abandon FreeBSD for this.)

I wish them luck. I don't know if Ubuntu will ask them to call it something else, but it might. I think there are restrictions on the use of the name, which is reasonable, IMHO.
(The joke for those who haven't heard it, is that Ubuntu is an African word--I forget which language--that translates as, "I can't configure Debian." )

Which is an unfair joke, especially considering that its accessibility has helped, IMHO, hardware and software vendors start paying more attention to open source, which should, generally, help the BSDs as well.

Do you honestly think the OP really thought that was a serious option--that someone will see this, say woo-hoo in a Homer Simpson tone, then delete their current BSD installs to install this?

There are eccentric users from the GNU or Linux community who do act like that, and there are many in the forums recently, who behave like that. No serious FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, Minix user would do that, and of course I know this. Your tone is condescending and an insult that doesn't have relevance. Furthermore, you've already admitted you're unsure of the person's reason for posting it, possibly unless you search their user history, which I look at the posts' content. So if that's the case, it's still a troll or a flamewar.

I'll wait a bit and see if this is some serious project. Or maybe it's an Aprils Fools Prank, launched a bit early? Time will tell. And if it is an earnest project, it may well absorb the Linux-systemd-expats. Who knows?

sidetone, if you thought I was attempting to flame, I most sincerely apologize. I thought that putting in a smiling emoticon type thing would have been patronizing. If you thought that my comments to non-native speakers were nasty or sarcastic, I am married to a non-native speaker who will sometimes misunderstand things, just as I do in her language. Therefore, I added that part.

So, if I did anger you, in this case, I most sincerely apologize, it was not meant to be anything but lighthearted, and quite honestly, it never occurred to me that the OP meant the whole get rid of FreeBSD and jump on the band wagon aspect thing could be considered as a serious possibility.
That apology goes to anyone else who felt that I was writing to insult anyone.

I thought the top thread was a flame war, trolling, or Ubuntu fanaticism. I also thought you were insulting me, for taking the post and poll seriously.

It's an interesting experiment, but as the article states it has been done before and has slowly been left to die before…

I wish them luck, perhaps the Ubuntu brand will sway a few Linux kernel users to switch to the FreeBSD kernel.
If that entices people to write more BSD friendly drivers, etc, that might be beneficial to existing FreeBSD users too!
That said, I shan't be switching

And if it is an earnest project, it may well absorb the Linux-systemd-expats. Who knows?

Exactly what I was thinking and hope it is. A veritable pleasure island(see Pinocchio) of sorts for them.

I'll wait a bit and see if this is some serious project. Or maybe it's an Aprils Fools Prank, launched a bit early? Time will tell. And if it is an earnest project, it may well absorb the Linux-systemd-expats. Who knows?
That was my thought too - early April Fools prank. We'll just have to wait and see.

The first and compelling question is if this OS has systemd (seemingly no)

The second compelling question is why they have ditched the Linux kernel notwithstanding some phobia of systemd or Linus Torvalds.

The third compelling question is why Ubuntu has taken Debian further in that direction notwithstanding some phobia of systemd or Linus Torvalds.

The fourth compelling question is what´s next. Ubuntu/Debian based on FreeBSD kernel plus FreeBSD userland less FreeBSD doc?

Blasphemy... Pure blasphemy. o_O
I switched to FreeBSD because I didn't want to use such bloated monsters! :eek:

I'll wait a bit and see if this is some serious project. Or maybe it's an Aprils Fools Prank, launched a bit early? Time will tell.
Indeed. It's plausible.

And if it is an earnest project, it may well absorb the Linux-systemd-expats. Who knows?
I would have some reserves about this. Usually people that cares about the Init system used are experts that prefer more "advanced" OSes.

EDIT: And let's consider that the average user don't care too much about OS internals, and the lack of drivers for new devices not yet supported by the FreeBSD kernel could slow down the adoption of this OS . Or, and I want to be optimistic, more people will care about porting/writing drivers for FreeBSD.

According to the project page on SourceForge:
Features
  • Versatile text based installer
  • Xfce desktop included
  • Ubuntu based
  • Debian based
  • FreeBSD based
  • Suitable for desktops and server alike
  • ZFS support completely integrated
So, Unity should not be included at the moment. Seems just a porting of Ubuntu userland on FreeBSD kernel, just like Debian/kFreeBSD. Notihing more, nothing less.

I suppose that question could be asked of a bunch of open source projects. They're describing it as escape from systemd, so perhaps that's their motive.

It's just interesting that this one is getting a lot of press for some reason, I've seen mention on Distrowatch, Slashdot, and I think the OP linked to Phoronix. I don't recollect any of the other ones generating a lot of attention.

I suppose that question could be asked of a bunch of open source projects. They're describing it as escape from systemd, so perhaps that's their motive.

It's just interesting that this one is getting a lot of press for some reason, I've seen mention on Distrowatch, Slashdot, and I think the OP linked to Phoronix. I don't recollect any of the other ones generating a lot of attention.
IMHO it's because, instead of being the usual Linux-based fork, it is based on a BSD kernel. A lot of people seem to consider BSDs as strange exotic stuff. And, being Ubuntu involved, this attracts even the attention of a lot of Linux newbies/zealots (always IMHO).

Back