What you've all been waiting for: UbuntuBSD

How many of you will be deleting FreeBSD and installing this?

• Total voters
Maybe, just maybe there could be a benefit here.

Perhaps some pretty standard software but with a very badly written (ubuntu only) build system could be built on UbuntuBSD but then the binaries copied to a FreeBSD host?

... Nah ;)

We would handle this the same was as with other FreeBSD-derived systems. Even better, "no, we can't help with questions about the package management on UbuntuBSD, but have you considered the many advantages of running native FreeBSD?"

Last edited:
I suppose that question could be asked of a bunch of open source projects. They're describing it as escape from systemd, so perhaps that's their motive.
That's understandable, but I'd expect these projects to look at something like Slackware first. Switching to a BSD seems a lot harder to me.

Maybe, just maybe there could be a benefit here.

Perhaps some pretty standard software but with a very badly written (ubuntu only) build system could be built on UbuntuBSD but then the binaries copied to a FreeBSD host?

... Nah ;)

It briefly crossed my mind (and I was just waking up) but could Canonical have the name recognition or power to get vendor to create FreeBSD specific drivers?

It briefly crossed my mind (and I was just waking up) but could Canonical have the name recognition or power to get vendor to create FreeBSD specific drivers?
Possibly, but since this isn't a Canonical project I can't see that happening here. :)

If Canonical were to become interested in this though for whatever reason, that could be a possibility I would think.

If Canonical becomes interested enough into *BSD (as "any" BSD) to supply it with manpower to have the latest gimmicks ported, provide steering personel and enrich the user experience then the day will come closer where we need to decide if we want this to happen or if we need flaming torches and pitchforks.

If Canonical becomes interested enough into *BSD (as "any" BSD) to supply it with manpower to have the latest gimmicks ported, provide steering personel and enrich the user experience then the day will come closer where we need to decide if we want this to happen or if we need flaming torches and pitchforks.

We will have to revolt for sure. There's plenty of projects out there that already do those things. This doesn't need to be another one.

I have updated the information in Thread 7290.

Basically, "UbuntuBSD" is not allowed in the house, leave it outside! Fine by me.

• Thanks
Reactions: da1
We would handle this the same was as with other FreeBSD-derived systems. Even better, "no, we can't help with questions about the package management on UbuntuBSD, but have you considered the many advantages of running native FreeBSD?"

Exactly. When the questions and asks for help land on this forum I would say "you're on the bridge and have come half way, why not complete the journey and come all the way over". :)

Seriously, I think this can be a great opportunity for FreeBSD and its community, if the community handles and 'markets' it the right way.

Basically, "UbuntuBSD" is not allowed in the house, leave it outside! Fine by me.
Exactly. This is FreeBSD, not UbuntuBSD (or any other FreeBSD derivative). I think (or, at least, hope) Ubuntu Linux folks don't ask for support on Debian forums, so why they should ask here for UbuntuBSD?
Even wanting to help, if someone can't solve his problems due to the different implementations, could even blame and criticize us to not being helpful. No, thanks; this is a reason to address problems to the right support channels.

Agree. Leave them that note but it's considered off topic here and should be closed.
If an ubuntuBSD user posts technical questions about how to solve problems with their operating system then it should indeed be closed. However, a general discussion about a BSD should be permitted in the off topic section in my opinion.

I think (or, at least, hope) Ubuntu Linux folks don't ask for support on Debian forums, so why they should ask here for UbuntuBSD?
Because we've already had quite a few people asking for help on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD. So it's not unthinkable it's going to happen.

If an ubuntuBSD user posts technical questions about how to solve problems with their operating system then it should indeed be closed. However, a general discussion about a BSD should be permitted in the off topic section in my opinion.

That is not a problem, of course.

Hi all,

I didn't mean to post this as either flamebait or trolling. Obviously I was being sarcastic when I suggested in the poll that anyone would simply "delete" FreeBSD :)

I love FreeBSD, but I also like Linux Mint a lot, which is based, as you all know, on Ubuntu. I installed Mint a few days ago on a 2nd hand MacBook Air and the process was flawless. Everything. Just. Worked.

What might UbuntuFreeBSD have to offer that the main Ubuntu distro doesn't? That's what I haven't quite figured out yet. Your thoughts?

Well, it should offer everything that FreeBSD can. The first that come in mind is ZFS... I don't know about jails and bhyve, hovewer.
EDIT. Apart being a rock solid unix system, you know. ;)

Well, it should offer everything that FreeBSD can.

How can it do that if they're only swapping out the stuff necessary to get the kernel working? It's still the GNU userland, with the system constructed in the GNU way. And since we're talking about Ubuntu here, how long will anyone stick with it after realizing they can't get complete EXT4 or LVM or dmcrypt support? Ubuntu is designed to be the Linux distro for the non-technical to moderately technical user. It's users aren't liable to learn a whole bunch of new stuff just to get away from systemd. I'd bet the majority of them don't really care about systemd.

What's more, it seems to me that it's a disservice to basically market *BSD as "Linux with a different kernel and no systemd." It's free code---you can do whatever you want with it. I encourage people to do cool stuff with it. But a project like UbuntuBSD can't give anyone an accurate impression of what *BSD actually is.

How can it do that if they're only swapping out the stuff necessary to get the kernel working?
According to the project page there is "ZFS support completely integrated", I hope that is not a ZFS-on-Linux implementation. However, I don't know how many things they could have removed.

And since we're talking about Ubuntu here, how long will anyone stick with it after realizing they can't get complete EXT4 or LVM or dmcrypt support?
Personally I would not care of EXT4 with ZFS (I don't know dmcrypt, but if GELI has not been removed could replace it?). Moreover, I would consider this: how long will anyone stick with it after realizing they can't get all the drivers for the latest hardware they had with Linux?

Ubuntu is designed to be the Linux distro for the non-technical to moderately technical user.
Moderately technical? The last time I looked at Ubuntu, it seemed all but targeted to more experienced users.

I'd bet the majority of them don't really care about systemd.
IMHO you'd win. The majority of them probably not even know what generally an Init system is.

What's more, it seems to me that it's a disservice to basically market *BSD as "Linux with a different kernel and no systemd."
These would just be marketing BSs, in case. I would not pay too much attention to them. Serious and competent people (or serious newcomers) know (or will learn) what really *BSD OSes are.

But a project like UbuntuBSD can't give anyone an accurate impression of what *BSD actually is.
This is few but sure! Such an "hybrid" OS, can't give the idea of what a real, pure Unix system is.

According to the project page there is "ZFS support completely integrated", I hope that is not a ZFS-on-Linux implementation.

Unlikely as ZoL is for Linux (= the linux kernel).

Such an "hybrid" OS, can't give the idea of what a real, pure Unix system is.

What's a "real, pure Unix system", nowadays?

I think the project could lead to an interesting alternative OS/distribution. Not to start any flame wars, but it kind of evokes the Mac OS X background for me, esp. supposing it's straightforward to install a full-fledged KDE desktop environment on UbuntuBSD.

I presume that having a GNU userland should make it easier to install applications that exist for Linux but not *BSD (Google Chrome ... ;) ) while possibly still reaping the benefits of better performance and memory management that you're supposed to get with FreeBSD (no overcommit/OOK killers)?

I've been wondering myself how feasible it would be to install Debian's kFreeBSD kernel as an alternative boot option on a Kubuntu system for which I have quite a few PPAs of my own by now (and which runs off a ZFS pool).

Back