What tools do FreeBSD users use to communicate and play?

N

Nicushor

Microsoft has @outlook, skype and xbox, Linuxoids uses irc, xmpp, some popular e-mail services (and has option to mask it under linux) and has got Steam now (xonotic, etc too), Apple has got @me, iChat (although not popular) and also Steam (+iPhone games). And what FreeBSD ppl use? In my mind, BlackBerry for communication and PlayStation falls into FBSD style.

I myself use mail.com and IRC only on FreeBSD, and only open games like Wesnoth and Xonotic. If I like FreeBSD should I use also BBM and PS? How about making a XMPP server like GNU did...

Linuxoids uses irc, xmpp, some popular e-mail services
Those protocols are not depending on the OS. You can use the exact same protocols on Windows, OS-X, Linux, Solaris, AIX and FreeBSD. Although the actual application might be different, the protocols aren't.

• Thanks
Reactions: Oko
Have you ever bother to ask where/what OS the servers for all those "Linuxoids clents" run ;)

I don't understand what you are asking. I didn't write anything about clients.

Those protocols are not depending on the OS. You can use the exact same protocols on Windows, OS-X, Linux, Solaris, AIX and FreeBSD. Although the actual application might be different, the protocols aren't.

Do you use @outlook? If not, then what? Out of curiosity.

Outlook.com works fine using Firefox, regardless of the OS. I mostly use webmail solutions so I don't have to worry about the client OS. If I do need a "real" client I mostly use mail/thunderbird.

What webmail solutions? I just want to know what is the style of FreeBSD users... that's all.

FastMail and GMail

Don't you think it's kinda strange that you use GMail, Google which is backing up Android, a Linux system? I got confronted with such a dilemma, and I feel like I'm betraying BSD, although i know it's stupid. But I don't feel a kind of integrity, when using smth "out of FreeBSD world". FastMail looks better, since it's kinda neutral. :-D Well, that are my sentiments...

Don't you think it's kinda strange that you use GMail
Not at all. If it makes you feel any better Google has also contributed to FreeBSD. Code and money. FreeBSD has also participated in the Google Summer of Code a number of times, Take a look at the SVN log.

Don't you think it's kinda strange that you use GMail, Google which is backing up Android, a Linux system?
No. Why does it matter any way? As long as you can access your mail, who cares what the backend is running? They can use a custom OS running on a fridge (IoT anyone?) for all I care.

Don't you think it's kinda strange that you use GMail, Google which is backing up Android, a Linux system? I got confronted with such a dilemma, and I feel like I'm betraying BSD, although i know it's stupid. But I don't feel a kind of integrity, when using smth "out of FreeBSD world". FastMail looks better, since it's kinda neutral. :-D Well, that are my sentiments...

BSD nationalism right here people.

I've become quite a fan of www/seamonkey. It's basically a Netscape-like clone build on top of the same Mozilla engine as used in Firefox and also provides an EMail and IRC client. Basically an all in one solution. The part which I like best is that I can use all the plugins which I'm accustomed to in Firefox without having to cope with an interface which, in my opinion, changes on the whim of the developers.

Other than that; www/opera.

I have a server through a hosting provider that run FreeBSD and use the mail server it provides for my own domain. Can access it via IMAP or POP, desktop client or web client.

Do you think it's safe to say most important people in FreeBSD community use some kind of own e-mail hosting?

I host my own e-mail on a FreeBSD powered server. Which is probably more trouble than it's worth, but self-hosted e-mail was on my list of things to try.

talk(1) and write(1) aren't encrypted, but for many purposes that's fine. I ended up removing talk, in addition to blocking firewall ports for what I didn't need. I also don't have local computers to communicate with to use it.

for communication and

I have no idea what the OP's post is talking about. However, I do understand the title. My answer to that is IRC and email. I use both of those for communication and play.

Back