What mail client do you use, and why? (not a poll)

Indeed, same here. I am using an email provider at the moment. I would like to operate my own private mail base in the future.
All mail is fetched using the periodic utility, I just have to read and maybe send via mutt.
In my /etc/rc.conf I have the following lines :
Code:
fetchmail_enable="YES"
fetchmail_users="myusername"
fetchmail_myusername_polling_interval="60"
and fetchmail is reading my ~/.fetchmailrc command file to retreive my mails from my providers.

At work (tons of mail) I use fetchmail,notmuch and afew in combination with mutt. On my own mail-server i (10-20 mails a day) i use Mailpile which is a client with a webui. I can recommend both solutions.

I used to use Mutt with my personal email provider, but discovered that the email provider did not support their POP clients as well as their webmail clients. It seemed the POP system was tier II, so to speak. The Mutt or NeoMutt type of application can have CVE issues just as well as any other software ( CVE-2018-14349, for example). In my case, I decided that my email provider's security updates/patches were untimely and insufficient, and so I just went with webmail.

For an email system set up such that I could support both ends myself, I'd use POP and keep everything patched.

I use a paid email provider and only IMAP because email is essential to my daily life and I need to be able to get all email on every device I own and use. My main confusion with command line email clients is remembering the keyboard shortcuts and not accidentally deleting a bunch of stuff, or moving it somewhere I didn't intend :p. mail/sylpheed is certainly light enough and I am not hurting for resources. I get these momentary curiosities about cli clients, but then once I try them, I remember why I don't use them...

Paid email provider (fastmail), IMAP only; Thunderbird on Windows and FreeBSD, and whatever that default client is called on my iPhone.

I'm still stuck on neomutt in combination with isync for syncing and msmtp for sending.

I use this combo because I like how fast and easy it is to read through email, filter out stuff I don't care about and write up replies using my emacs editor.

... Also, I'm lazy and refuse to change.

mail/sylpheed is my mail client. Some years ago I wanted to tune a 32 bit Linux system and changed to small, speedy applications. Sylpheed was my choice and I did not change this in the meantime. After the migration to 64 bit Linux and now to FreeBSD it's still in my favourite software suite.

Stephan

Hi
The work is finished for me, at home:
postfix, procmail, fetchmail and ..... mutt format: mbox.
What esle guys ! ?

I used to use Mutt with my personal email provider, but discovered that the email provider did not support their POP clients as well as their webmail clients. It seemed the POP system was tier II, so to speak

POP3 support is a relatively recent addition to mutt. Originally, mutt would use an external MTA like mail/fetchmail or mail/getmail.
I also use mail/nmh in my fetchmail configuration to put my email in mh format. mh format is the default for sylpheed/claws-mail and I have tested that sylpheed/claws-mail can access/search/display my mutt/fetchmail/nmh emails. It is also easy to periodically recursively copy my Mail folder to Mail2018 and make a DVD iso of all my Mail folders. In the US, emails left on Servers for more than 6 months, can be accessed without a warrant by anyone at a security agency - after they get bored with going through their girlfriends' emails :cool: .

IMAP4 support in mutt/neomutt is pretty good and what I use on my portable devices. I leave emails on the server, until I get them to DVD, and the header-cache option speeds synching I find mutt with imap/header-cache to be faster than webmail.

I've been using a web based solution for for years. Its possibilities, for my humble needs, are enough.

At work (tons of mail) I use fetchmail,notmuch and afew in combination with mutt. On my own mail-server i (10-20 mails a day) i use Mailpile which is a client with a webui. I can recommend both solutions.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if there are plans to update mailpile to the latest version (1.0) in ports? It seems as though its still stuck at the beta (0.5) version.

Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know if there are plans to update mailpile to the latest version (1.0) in ports? It seems as though its still stuck at the beta (0.5) version.

Actually, the latest release according to their website is 1.0rc6... The actually haven't released 1.0 yet... You would probably be better off trying to contact the maintainer of the port and ask them what the plan is going forward....

I use mutt (along with davmail to convert between Microsoft Exchange protocol to imap).

So long as you enable header and body caching, the search mechanism is simply the best I have found.

It is also really nice to have all configuration in simple text files. Something that I even find a weakness of claws mail.

I used to pipe mutt mail through lynx to strip the html but these days I simply delete that kind of mail instead haha.

Mutt (by default) uses the EDITOR env for the editor so for me it opens the standard (n)vi. I use '!}fmt' to format paragraphs. It is as close to "joy" as processing emails can get XD

Back