What mail client do you use, and why? (not a poll)

dlegrand

Indeed, same here. I am using an email provider at the moment. I would like to operate my own private mail base in the future.
All mail is fetched using the periodic utility, I just have to read and maybe send via mutt.
In my /etc/rc.conf I have the following lines :
Code:
fetchmail_enable="YES"
fetchmail_users="myusername"
fetchmail_myusername_polling_interval="60"
and fetchmail is reading my ~/.fetchmailrc command file to retreive my mails from my providers.

sidetone

Daemon

mail/claws-mail automatically used my old mail/sylpheed configuration, so I didn't have to configure it. Also, to make it play a sound, that can be done under Preferences, by choosing a command to run. That's great.

frank2

At work (tons of mail) I use fetchmail,notmuch and afew in combination with mutt. On my own mail-server i (10-20 mails a day) i use Mailpile which is a client with a webui. I can recommend both solutions.

Sevendogsbsd

mail/sylpheed because it just works. After trying a ton of clients, it's the one I always come back to. I am still interested in mail/mutt and mail/alpine but have never gotten them to work successfully for me. Might play around with one or both of those again.

ronaldlees

Aspiring Daemon

I used to use Mutt with my personal email provider, but discovered that the email provider did not support their POP clients as well as their webmail clients. It seemed the POP system was tier II, so to speak. The Mutt or NeoMutt type of application can have CVE issues just as well as any other software ( CVE-2018-14349, for example). In my case, I decided that my email provider's security updates/patches were untimely and insufficient, and so I just went with webmail.

For an email system set up such that I could support both ends myself, I'd use POP and keep everything patched.

Sevendogsbsd

I use a paid email provider and only IMAP because email is essential to my daily life and I need to be able to get all email on every device I own and use. My main confusion with command line email clients is remembering the keyboard shortcuts and not accidentally deleting a bunch of stuff, or moving it somewhere I didn't intend :p. mail/sylpheed is certainly light enough and I am not hurting for resources. I get these momentary curiosities about cli clients, but then once I try them, I remember why I don't use them...

yuripv

Paid email provider (fastmail), IMAP only; Thunderbird on Windows and FreeBSD, and whatever that default client is called on my iPhone.

Sevendogsbsd

Fastmail rocks. I use their client on my Android phone and their webmail on windows.

ganthore

I'm still stuck on neomutt in combination with isync for syncing and msmtp for sending.

I use this combo because I like how fast and easy it is to read through email, filter out stuff I don't care about and write up replies using my emacs editor.

... Also, I'm lazy and refuse to change.

forest_bear59

mail/sylpheed is my mail client. Some years ago I wanted to tune a 32 bit Linux system and changed to small, speedy applications. Sylpheed was my choice and I did not change this in the meantime. After the migration to 64 bit Linux and now to FreeBSD it's still in my favourite software suite.

Stephan

Vull

mail.yahoo.com. I also have a pay-as-you-go flip phone. :--p

fjdlr

Hi
The work is finished for me, at home:
postfix, procmail, fetchmail and ..... mutt format: mbox.
What esle guys ! ?

shepper

Aspiring Daemon

I used to use Mutt with my personal email provider, but discovered that the email provider did not support their POP clients as well as their webmail clients. It seemed the POP system was tier II, so to speak
POP3 support is a relatively recent addition to mutt. Originally, mutt would use an external MTA like mail/fetchmail or mail/getmail.
I also use mail/nmh in my fetchmail configuration to put my email in mh format. mh format is the default for sylpheed/claws-mail and I have tested that sylpheed/claws-mail can access/search/display my mutt/fetchmail/nmh emails. It is also easy to periodically recursively copy my Mail folder to Mail2018 and make a DVD iso of all my Mail folders. In the US, emails left on Servers for more than 6 months, can be accessed without a warrant by anyone at a security agency - after they get bored with going through their girlfriends' emails :cool: .

IMAP4 support in mutt/neomutt is pretty good and what I use on my portable devices. I leave emails on the server, until I get them to DVD, and the header-cache option speeds synching I find mutt with imap/header-cache to be faster than webmail.

Ogis

I've been using a web based solution for for years. Its possibilities, for my humble needs, are enough.