What mail client do you use, and why? (not a poll)

I use Gnus, which is an Emacs mail client. It's probably more accurate to call it a message reader, since it handles all sorts of messages and it began as a newsreader. I like having mailing lists via Gmane [1], RSS feeds via Gwene [1], and mail all in one place. It also integrates well with mail/notmuch and Org mode.

[1] Gmane and Gwene have been somewhat neglected in recent years, so some functionality is now missing.

I'm using mail/sylpheed, but I also use web-based mail. IMHO, nothing beats web-based when I am moving around.
Why Sylpheed? Old habit, I switched to that many years ago when I started using FreeBSD for my workstation. Haven't found a reason to switch yet.

I've been using mail/alpine (and Pine before that) for probably almost 2 decades now. Tried other ones of course but nothing beats Alpine imho. Until some years ago I used it in combination with fetchmail and procmail, but now with IMAP, so all mailstorage is at my ISP.

I use SeaMonkey (what was Mozilla Suite, what was Netscape Communicator). I've been using it since Netscape Communicator was a thing last century (circa late 1990s). Why? Because it did email, newsgroups and and web browsing in a nicely integrated manner and was available on FreeBSD.

claws-mail is working on freebsd 11.2 ?
after pkg install claws-mail
i run the program ,it showing loading then disappear from the taskbar .

I prefer off-shore web based email accounts for personal use and haven't used a resident client in years.

I rarely communicate with anyone on a social basis over email. It's mostly a drop for documents associated with purchases I've made or to sign up for something. I have a throw away yahoo account for junk or to direct unwanted communication so I never see it.

My favorite is one where you can choose your interface, the one I use specifies no scripts or icons. I never can get signed up for ProtonMail, some browser settings preventing it. I do have a Tutanota account, and you get to choose from a list of servers in different countries, but never use it.

Thunderbird for personal use at home/work. I've been using this client for years and got used to it.
At work it's Roundcube to manage corporate emails and MS Outlook 2010 to get messages from colleagues.

I prefer off-shore web based email accounts for personal use
We run our own mail servers so I use those for my personal stuff and I would never use off-shore anything for anything. Except for a very few countries, I've found them all to be unreliable, insecure, and untrustworthy to the point I won't give them a sideways glance. I am positive all of them rifle through your mail for the purpose of stealing your money.

We run our own mail servers so I use those for my personal stuff and I would never use off-shore anything for anything. Except for a very few countries, I've found them all to be unreliable, insecure, and untrustworthy to the point I won't give them a sideways glance. I am positive all of them rifle through your mail for the purpose of stealing your money.

+1 for self-hosting, but in my experience it can turn into a very time/money draining experience unless you can rely on employer/university's business/institutional servers, even providing you already own the hardware. Not to speak about the noise, the electricity consumption, the need of a business contract for as static IP with ISP, which your family, partner, flat lessee or mate, may or may not accept. Not the kind of amateurish thing anyone would easily be eager to do even for the sake of privacy, security and emancipation.

Sensucht94 I haven't had issues with any of that. Learning how to do it was the hardest but, once learned, it's all relatively easy and the only annoyance is monitoring it--checking the logs--and the occasional adjustment. Less than a couple of minutes as I wake up in the morning and drink my coffee. The server I still have at home is silent and only consumes as much as a 40-Watt light bulb. The company servers are a little more involved but they have a lot more traffic, too, and it's all part of the overall maintenance with that.

Except for a very few countries, I've found them all to be unreliable, insecure, and untrustworthy to the point I won't give them a sideways glance. I am positive all of them rifle through your mail for the purpose of stealing your money.

The one I like best is based in Israel. I've thought about it before and don't doubt the Mossad is probably looking through the receipts for yesterdays ebay purchases right now. ;) I wouldn't be the least surprised if have a folder on me, all that goes there are receipts from ebay and paypal, but I could build a database for starts out of that.

I used to use Yahoo accounts and we all know how that turned out. I have one but it's for spam. I have a Google account so I can use their webtools but wouldn't think of using gmail for anything.

I except the possibility the Mossad may have at one time or another taken a peek at my documents and am OK with it. It's what they do, and I would. I do not want somebody stateside who isn't supposed to be snooping through my docs running algorithms on my email to find keywords or something of the sort and act like they're trustworthy while doing it.

I don't use email enough to run a server and don't like POP clients. If I do send something I want to keep track of it's through my Roundmail account and not often.

Sensucht94 I haven't had issues with any of that. Learning how to do it was the hardest but, once learned, it's all relatively easy and the only annoyance is monitoring it--checking the logs--and the occasional adjustment. Less than a couple of minutes as I wake up in the morning and drink my coffee. The server I still have at home is silent and only consumes as much as a 40-Watt light bulb. The company servers are a little more involved but they have a lot more traffic, too, and it's all part of the overall maintenance with that.

I used to have a Rpi3 running my mail server on NetBSD (opensmtpd, dovecot, rspamd, dkimproxy, squirremail, squid, NPF, blacklistd). Myself, I was the only client to rely on it,so could afford having an embedded device taking care of my Inbox: no power consumption, no noise. I maintained it remotely and everything was running fine. Then I made the mistake of switching to Void Linux and it broke 3 times. Once someone modified Postfix template and removed UTF-8 support, had to revert it; then it was the time of libressl update and it broke something else I don't remember; last but not least a kernel
update made system
unbootable.

A couple of months after I got my domain revoked as somehow I had forgot to check automatic contract renewal.

I'm not saying running your own mail server isn't good practice, it's fun, productive, secure, privacy-keeping, cost-effective compared to paid professional providers (e.g. fastmail, which I use now), a good learning experience.

But you need patience, care, attention and knowledge to do that, and I not always have (I assume all the fault for this)

Even I have a folder on you.

I'm honored. I don't have one on you. I know we live in the same general area and that only from what you've said openly. I'm getting ready to post a Frank Zappa video and saw them at Washington U in '76 doing their Zoot Allures tour in a little grassy area where everybody sat on the ground. I've been to Kiel several times to see bands and wrestling.

A "doctor" talked to Demonica not too long ago and I posted that chat transcript on her site, I have 10 posted. I wondered if might have been you since it was mentioned at the very last like a hint of sorts. I don't read most of her transcripts but happened to see it.

It's not a good thing if there has been cause given for me to be sufficiently interested in someone to start a folder.

Trihexagonal Not me. First I've seen that.

Spent a lot of time at Washoo including classes a few years before that. Kiel is now Stifel Theater and completely remodeled. It's attached to the Blues hockey rink where their first game of the season starts in an hour.

I forgot. You're in Springfield? Bloomington?

TrihexagonalI forgot. You're in Springfield? Bloomington?

I never said, but guessing probably100-120 miles from you. I don't know where you live and can't say where I do.

INTERPOL is on my trail with a court order to haul me off in chains to another hemisphere for a severe tongue lashing on the charge of practicing Internet psychology without a license. They'll never take me alive...

When on a command line interface mutt, in graphical environment claws-mail. The big advantage of claws-mail for me is that it does not offer a list of certification authorities or default configurations, the user is responsible for his choices.

Back