What is your favorite text editor?

I use nano a lot. I never really have a need to need anything more advanced for editing files on CLI. Perhaps I'm just missing something here :p I'm bad and love Atom. I wish I could get Atom on FreeBSD. I think I could switch my desktop to FreeBSD at that rate
There is this:

atom.io a.k.a. Atom is the editor I use most of the time these days, but it looks like development has slowed down considerably in recent times after Microsoft took over Github. I wish there was another, more actively developed editor similar to Atom, and which also existed as a package for FreeBSD.
I know the basics of vi/vim, and also used Emacs for several years while in uni. Maybe these editors can be pimped up to do some of the cool things Atom can do? I haven't really looked into it.

Found this on Reddit and thought it would fit here:
94j8yddp7dp71.png

Found this on Reddit and thought it would fit here:
Heh, speaking of the hand written notepad. I recently conducted a technical interview and when it came to the quick programming competency demonstration on the whiteboard (we all love these!), the candidate told me he couldn't be bothered to write it all and so chose a simpler algorithm instead.

Perhaps if we were all forced to write our code on paper first, software would be a lot more succinctly written and more terse. Possibly not as optimal but we can just buy faster processors right? ;)

Perhaps if we were all forced to write our code on paper first, software would be a lot more succinctly written and more terse. Possibly not as optimal but we can just buy faster processors right?
Perhaps more optimal. How cares today on performance instead of relying in fast and faster processors?

Perhaps more optimal. How cares today on performance instead of relying in fast and faster processors?

Don’t you see a hypothetical problem with the fact that 2021 software is even slower on 2021 computers than 80s software was on 80s computers, despite not having much more features?

ee is a mostly unknown editor, better to delete it from base.
I use ee every time I build a desktop to set up pf firewall and edit /etc/rc.conf. It's what I reference in my tutorial so new people learn about the King of Text Editors all the time.

Why would it be better to delete it from the base system? There are only two..

Are you trying to take my freedom to choose what editor I use? To force me to use vi? Or did you have a favorite in mine to take it's place?

I do a lot more text editing and that's a far bigger deal to me. I only use commands with the shell whether I'm root or user and they both work the same for me.

Neither recognize initiate machine war or launch nuclear strike -DC, but I prefer sh.

No, ee not. Either ed or vi. ee is a mostly unknown editor, better to delete it from base.
vi only if there is kept a message on the bottom line, like "if you want to leave vi, don't hard reset your computer, but type in the key sequence ..." Sorry, but I forgot ... once again.

Back