What is your favorite text editor?

I use vi/vim, because when I was a baby sysadmin, my mentor said "you can use whatever editor you want, but at the end of the day, when you are trying to recover a machine, and world is on fire, emacs is not going to be available....So at least be familiar with vi."

I tried to use emacs on Debian the other day and discovered how great FreeBSD is. For me, to be able to use emacs, I need to have my own personal keybindings, otherwise I'm completely lost. To my shock I discovered I couldn't use my key bindings on Debian because some of the binding definitions only apply to emacs 29.1 and that version isn't yet available on Debian.
And I was under the impression that Debian was the standard by which other Linux distros were to be judged.

• Thanks
Reactions: dnb
I tried to use emacs on Debian the other day and discovered how great FreeBSD is. For me, to be able to use emacs, I need to have my own personal keybindings, otherwise I'm completely lost. To my shock I discovered I couldn't use my key bindings on Debian because some of the binding definitions only apply to emacs 29.1 and that version isn't yet available on Debian.
It is important to prepare Emacs yourself. You can make it significantly faster by compiling it correctly by hand (even on FreeBSD, not from ports, but using configure and gmake).

I read this book and now I am completely happy with vi(1) from the base system. I use it together with the terminal multiplexer sysutils/tmux. This setup works perfectly for coding and type-setting, which is what I mainly do with my system. My custom “dot-files” are fairly minimal, since I want to be able to be productive also on pristine systems.

It is important to prepare Emacs yourself. You can make it significantly faster by compiling it correctly by hand (even on FreeBSD, not from ports, but using configure and gmake).
I don't know enough about Emacs to know how to do that, and suspect there is a considerable learning curve in become proficient in building it myself. I'm perfectly happy to leave professional programmers to build pkgs for me and am pleased that we have an uptodate version available for us on FreeBSD.

I've become a big fan of emacs over the last few months even though it can be frustrating to use it sometimes because it's so complicated, although love learning new possbilities that it offers. But one thing I would like to change is how to mark, copy, paste, delete.

I'd much rather use shift + cursor keys to mark an area and then C-ins to copy and S-ins to paste.

Anyone know how to bind keys to do that?
Maybe with global-set-key in your ~/.emacs?
Example: pkg-message for japanese/mozc-el.
I've not used Emacs for a looooong time, but if I recall correctly, configurations and macros are written in elisp (Emacs-LISP).

Honestly, I'm a huge fan of editors/micro. It's fast, interactive, supports universal key combinations (i.e. Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+S to save, etc.), has syntax highlighting out-of-the-box, and is extensible.

It's just been my go-to editor since someone told me about it after I posted this meme in 2022.

• Kate or Neovim for common files, dotfiles, small scripts, etc
  • VScodium/OSS VScode, Kate or Helix for programming

I was looking into Pulsar and IntelliJ IDEA, but Pulsar is still too buggy, and IDEA is too much of a fully-featured IDE, when I want something more minimal.

Good news for people who use editors/pluma without MATE: following an upgrade to 1.28.0, it's possible to remove devel/gvfs.
Exactly. But users of Mate like me is still unhappy, as at least x11-fm/caja still depends on devel/gvfs.

Offtopic here:
gvfsd-trash should have way to disable on specified (via configuration file) directory and its subdirectories (of course, specifying / completely disallow it to work), or works only on specified directories and its subdirectories.
At least, temporary mount points like /media and /mnt should be blacklisted by default not to block unmounting/exporting.
Unfortunately, as far as I know, no one implemented it, and it's beyond me (once tried, but gave up).

Back