What is FreeBSD's equivalent for Linux's netconsole ??

Hi,

In Llinux, while trying to debug drivers during kernel crashes, I use netconsole program. With appropriate configuration, netconsole logs all the host kernel messages to a remote machine's console. So, even with a kernel crash, all the kernel prints/warnings/coredump messages are captured on the remote machine.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the same in FreeBSD?

Hi,

In Llinux, while trying to debug drivers during kernel crashes, I use netconsole program. With appropriate configuration, netconsole logs all the host kernel messages to a remote machine's console. So, even with a kernel crash, all the kernel prints/warnings/coredump messages are captured on the remote machine.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the same in FreeBSD?

This may be an old thread but it turned up when I did a web search for 'freebsd netconsole'.

In case anyone does such a search in future I would refer them to net/nc.

This may be an old thread but it turned up when I did a web search for 'freebsd netconsole'.

In case anyone does such a search in future I would refer them to net/nc.
It's better to refer them to nc(1) instead if they need a client for receiving netconsole messages. It's in the base system.

net/nc is the wrong tool for the job in more than one way, but the most important one is that it doesn't even support UDP.

Back