• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

What is FreeBSD's equivalent for Linux's netconsole ??

kiransaiv

Hi,

In Llinux, while trying to debug drivers during kernel crashes, I use netconsole program. With appropriate configuration, netconsole logs all the host kernel messages to a remote machine's console. So, even with a kernel crash, all the kernel prints/warnings/coredump messages are captured on the remote machine.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the same in FreeBSD?

balanga

Daemon

Hi,

In Llinux, while trying to debug drivers during kernel crashes, I use netconsole program. With appropriate configuration, netconsole logs all the host kernel messages to a remote machine's console. So, even with a kernel crash, all the kernel prints/warnings/coredump messages are captured on the remote machine.

Any suggestions on how to achieve the same in FreeBSD?
This may be an old thread but it turned up when I did a web search for 'freebsd netconsole'.

In case anyone does such a search in future I would refer them to net/nc.

tobik@

Daemon
Developer

This may be an old thread but it turned up when I did a web search for 'freebsd netconsole'.

In case anyone does such a search in future I would refer them to net/nc.
It's better to refer them to nc(1) instead if they need a client for receiving netconsole messages. It's in the base system.

net/nc is the wrong tool for the job in more than one way, but the most important one is that it doesn't even support UDP.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator