What happened to the "Aspiring Daemon" stuff

So, I seem to recall that folks earned some kindof reputation on the site, over time, based on their activity and responses (like and thank). Did that go missing? I kinda liked it as it gave folks a clue as to whether or not responses were from folks who'd been around longer than last week. Obviously, it's not an imprimatur or anything of serious authority. But, for the last decade or so, it's seemed helpful.

Been gone for at least 6 months. There were more than a few discussions at that time, pros, cons, "we need to add this" "No we don't".

I'm sure someone more involved in the decsions can give you more info if you really want it.

As for knowing whose been around for a while, mouse hover over the username/avatar and the popup shows basic info like join date, number of posts and karma. I think the old labels were tied to number of posts and karma so that should give you the same idea of "can they be trusted".

Only labels now are for people officially tied to the forums or the project, like "developer" I think indicates that user has commit privs to FreeBSD (source or documentation).

OK. I didn't know about the hover trick. Thanks. I'll look around for the discussion. I wonder if it affected anything in terms of participation?

I'm not sure if the conversation was about it.

Reactions: mer

I'm not sure if the conversation was about it.
I believe that was one of them. I remember a couple different ones, one got pretty heated and may have disappeared.
I read just enough of them to see what was being talked about, interjected a little, then basically unwatched because I didn't care. Simply the forum administrators choice/decision.

OH! How exciting. After reading the first few posts about "Staff member", I was all jazzed to jump in and add my 2 cents, but I see the topic's closed... so sad. Sheesh, SirDice is soooo staff member!

I believe that was one of them. I remember a couple different ones, one got pretty heated and may have disappeared.
I read just enough of them to see what was being talked about, interjected a little, then basically unwatched because I didn't care. Simply the forum administrators choice/decision.
It all started because someone wanted their own label to taste, or am I wrong. Yeah, admin choice, no big deal.

Committers have an @ at the end of their name. Not sure what the "developer" tag means.
If you sign up with the forums with a freebsd.org email address you get the @ attached to your 'nom de plume' and get a "Developer" banner. Both are optional but reserved for people with a freebsd.org email address.

It all started because someone wanted their own label to taste, or am I wrong.
It's all my fault. I didn't want to become an Aspiring Daemon because i liked Daemon better and stupidly threatend to keep my post count below that particular number, i.e. deleting old posts of mine.

I believe this is the reason too why deleting posts has been disabled.

Thanks, I thought it was disabled individually for abuse. I removed some post in the past for being impractical.

Aw shucks, turn 'em back on, pretty please. Surely we learned our lesson? I wanna see folks become aspiring daemons and want the chance, too :).

I believe this is the reason too why deleting posts has been disabled.
Oh, so it was you! :) The other day I did "drink and post" stuff and wanted to delete my answer. I'd swear it was possible to remove the post before. I didn't want to edit the post so I let it be. :beer:

It's all my fault.
I doubt that. I was a frequent deleter of my posts. Sometimes I just write things I would never say in person.
So my post count is actually way higher. I used to filter out my non-sense.
Now I try to refrain from posting non-sense.
We get these questions that we have to guess or assume so many things it gets maddening.
Then the inverse is the wall of text. I ignore them alot. I like helping noobs.
Unfortunately they are the least likely to stay an active user.

I still find myself editing my posts. I usually try and put my initial thought on paper and then I enspouse.
Some mental block to use preview. Like its a race to answer first.... Guess I have a sickness?

Back