.
Last edited:
Steam's mainly useful to me for PCVR, and I'm thinking that might have more latency doing Proton/Wine -> Linuxlator -> FreeBSD
Otherwise if a game doesn't need Steam DRM or Proton-specific fixes, it's more fun to run SteamCMD and games through FreeBSD Wine![]()
There's no reason not to make a SteamBSD machine. I have a lot of machines that run Steam and even the R1 Alienware Steam Machine. And it can play a large amount of my library. There are some that don't work however.Just post pictures when it's done. In my experience Nvidia and Radeon as well as Intel iGPU work well with Steam on FreeBSD. And both X11 and Wayland work well in Steam gaming on FreeBSD.
I would agree, other than the lack of some kernel modules for digital rights management things work very well in gaming. And for multimedia it's great as well. I think Valve should just find a way to work some FreeBSD into their software.Come on. Why Linux always comes first and FreeBSD should be the second choice when we talk about multimedia / video games ? Our is a nice OS,it should not be second to anyone in / for something.
Steam's mainly useful to me for PCVR, and I'm thinking that might have more latency doing Proton/Wine -> Linuxlator -> FreeBSD
Otherwise if a game doesn't need Steam DRM or Proton-specific fixes, it's more fun to run SteamCMD and games through FreeBSD Wine![]()
Before translating the Linux ABI, ask whether that process has to cross it at all.
Install wine-proton on FreeBSD with an AMD GPU. Take the corpus titles that exist as Windows PE. Launch them outside Steam, one by one. Count how many run.
It is possible to modify the steamclient to use wine when possible and change to linuxator when impossible?
That's right. But the point simply is popularity. Everybody knows Linux, but only a very few know BSD.Come on. Why Linux always comes first and FreeBSD should be the second choice when we talk about multimedia / video games ? Our is a nice OS,it should not be second to anyone in / for something.
You don't have to support all games. No gaming platform is capable to run every game. You have to make selections.32-bit, and this is the hard part
It is not possible to graphical redirection from a graphics card to another?Linux jails also use the Linuxulator,
and applications can still see they arent running on real linux which in Steams case would stop it working
So you have the same issue as if you use the Linuxulator directly
Podman can be set so the os type is linux which does trick applications into thinking they are running on Linux
but Podman still uses the Linuxulator so you still have the same issue of missing sys calls
If you use Bhyve then you would have to pass through an external graphics card and display
to have hardware accelerated graphics
And by the time you have paid for an external graphics card and monitor you might as well just buy a steam machine
You might as well run it in a linux jail or bhyve instance imo.
And by the time you have paid for an external graphics card and monitor you might as well just buy a steam machine
Is what is was saying?Looking Glass
It is not possible to graphical redirection from a graphics card to another?
- Not doable (pratical without valve resources), what you are trying to do
It is not possible to graphical redirection from a graphics card to another?
When I used to use Linux I would use wine to play games and use Steam. It seemed rather pointless to Windows users. But it worked well sometimes. haha There are several projects that make Steam run on FreeBSD very well. There's no reason not to use FreeBSD for gaming if it's Steam, Epic, GOG etc. I moved from Linux to FreeBSD because it was able to do the things I was used to doing on Linux back in 2023. And gaming is one thing that it does very well. Not all games. But many games and at high fps and high resolution. In fact there are games that I have played on FreeBSD that never worked on Linux. It really just depends on the game and the technology you're using to play. I do wish Mizuma still worked with Steam. But it's great for Epic and GOG and UrbanTerror! Woo!Multiple issues with the idea
How are you going to get round the anti cheat measures
Steam checks if its running on real linux and will instantly see its not
and its running using the linuxulator then probably triggers a ban
Vibe coding and constantly playing catch up to fix issues with Freebsd updates
and how it works with the Linuxulator or with updates to Steam
Poor hardware support for Freebsd
Just using Freebsd for the sake of it
Something being technically doable only means, all needed technical requirements are given, so in theory technically it can be done. Or to put in other words, it's not science fiction, so completely unrealistic.What is technically not doable about what I'm doing ?
Such are fundamental basics of project planning.get some realistic idea of what amount of different kinds of work needed to be done, how many effort is needed for each (hours to work on), and then estimate added up hours needed to be done divided by the amount of people working X hours per day on it, gives the estimated months/years until it's finished, and so if it's realistically doable, or not.
I think that for this project the right configuration should respect the KISS philosophy (Keep It Simple Stupid) : a GPU,a monitor attached to it and a open source driver. Every piece that I add is a variable that I should exclude if / when something will fail.
And they vary very much in how they work, and what they need.Computer games are technically most ambitious and pretty tricky at the same time.
What you have highlighted to do, check 100 games on amd hardware (your posts #33 amd #34). Plus I didn't say technically not doable, I said practically not doable. (I.e. it's doable, you can do it, it's just not pratical in the long run).What is technically not doable about what I'm doing ?