What do you drink when you code.

drunken (or, even, stoned) coding is an interesting topic. You have to be very careful with that. I agree the way the brain works, some substances can help with "thinking out of the box", cause your brain randomly connects things in an unexpected way, and sometimes you'll come up with a creative and good solution "under influence". The problem is, these same substances will impair your ability to assess your thoughts in a sane way.

So, taking notes (and assess them once you're sober) seems like a good plan. Of course, if this ends up in gibberish on your notepad .. you just had too much :D

I only have some anecdotal experience. You can be quite creative when thinking about solutions. But you will need to write those down and look at them again when you're sober. Most of those ideas are just too "far out" there (pun intended). That said, having done some mind altering drugs, it certainly helps with getting a different perspective on things, even when you're completely sober. Your brain is a little more flexible afterwards.

I've stuck to the naturally occurring substances. Anything manufactured makes me a bit worrisome. I can say, I absolutely agree with the enhanced malleability for sure.

I have an injection of Lysol each morning, and in the afternoon a shot glass of Clorox, as recommended by the extremely stable genius with great and unmatched wisdom who resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue🤡.
One of these days, someone is going to actually watch the video that all these "news" people are talking about and realize Trump never said any such thing or even imply one should attempt this.

One of these days, someone is going to actually watch the video that all these "news" people are talking about and realize Trump never said any such thing or even imply one should attempt this.

Yeah its not like you can clearly see and hear him in an official white house briefing. Its got to be all these silly news people. Fake News!

Stick to the subject please. We're talking about coding and/or coding while intoxicated.

Stick to the subject please. We're talking about coding and/or coding while intoxicated.

Have you ever tried micro-dosing with psilocybin tea? A few ground mushrooms, and some ginger (or any herbal tea), and I've found that to have a positive effect.

What do you smoke when you code?
Plain tobacco mostly. I know the Dutch have some reputation in this regard, and I certainly smoked that too, but most of the time I'm just a regular old smoker. Started with weed but I got super paranoid from it and switched to hashish instead. Contrary to popular belief, smoking pot is definitely not "better" than plain tobacco, that's simply a myth.

Have you ever tried micro-dosing with psilocybin tea? A few ground mushrooms, and some ginger (or any herbal tea), and I've found that to have a positive effect.
Tried mushrooms, the freaky Mexican kind, can't remember the exact ones. Didn't like it the first time, didn't like the second time, never done it since. I could deal with the hallucinations, those are actually quite fun, but this type of drug stirs up your subconscious and you lose control over your own thoughts. I didn't like that.

With everything we know about smoking, I do not understand why anyone would take up smoking.
Agreed. If you've never smoked before, don't start! You never have to go through the struggle of quitting an addiction if you never start to develop one in the fist place. And this includes vaping which isn't "better" than smoking either.

In any case one should drink enough H2O and breath enough O2 to stay awake and keep a clear mind. To forget it because of the concentration on the task is an error. To mix them with poison is not a good idea.

Plain tobacco mostly. I know the Dutch have some reputation in this regard, and I certainly smoked that too, but most of the time I'm just a regular old smoker. Started with weed but I got super paranoid from it and switched to hashish instead. Contrary to popular belief, smoking pot is definitely not "better" than plain tobacco, that's simply a myth.

It really becomes a problem if you're smoking American style death sticks. Tobacco is a plant, just like weed. The only difference is nicotine actually improves concentration.

SirDice maybe you need to update your Gravatar

ff.jpg

Tobacco is a plant, just like weed. The only difference is nicotine actually improves concentration.
Too bad they both wreak havoc on your lungs though. There's no denying, smoking is bad for you. It doesn't matter if it's natural or not.

When I started working (25+ years ago) there were no anti-smoking laws, I was able to smoke right at my desk, all day long. Nowadays that's not possible anymore of course, and that's a good thing. I certainly smoke a lot less. The short smoke breaks I take also reduce RSI as I leave my desk at regular intervals. And I often take a smoke break when I'm stuck on something. If you're stuck at a problem it often helps to leave it, take a few minutes to do something else, take your mind off the issue. When you come back you'll have a fresh pair of eyes and quite often you'll quickly find a solution. If you're not a smoker, do something else then. Go kick a ball or something. Anything to take your mind off the issue for a few minutes.

If you're stuck at a problem it often helps to leave it, take a few minutes to do something else, take your mind off the issue. When you come back you'll have a fresh pair of eyes and quite often you'll quickly find a solution. If you're not a smoker, do something else then. Go kick a ball or something. Anything to take your mind off the issue for a few minutes.

I think engineering managers forget this at times, at least on the software side. Great advice to take a break and walk away from tough problems at times. I need to remember to do this more often, maybe I'll take up a fake smoking habit! lolz

I'm not a coder by trade, but I do code. Nowadays mostly though during CTFs and other wargames. A bit at work too (let's say scripting is coding for the sake of argument :) ).
Interesting enough I solved lots of problems on the way to get the drink -- there's something magical when you stare at opened fridge. Also toilet/bathroom has its magic -- got few good ideas there too.

I don't drink too much. Actually, only beer. As I'm getting older my threshold has lowered too. If I'm scripting something I know how to do, or perhaps I'm doing some wrapper logic in C I can have up to 4-5 12deg beers and i'm still OK (and subjectively think my code is too).
But if I need to solve something and I'm doing it in assembly I start having concentration problems during my first beer. Usually I need to let go for that night.

Back