What do you drink when you code.

Please allow to give some ideas, water, limonade, black tea, green tea, beer, alcohol, arabica coffee, robusta coffee, milk, ...

Coffee, water, coffee, sometimes beer, sometimes coffee, tea when is cold (I love many types of tea, but black and green are always nice), also coffee when is cold too. :D

In the morning, anglo-saxon style coffee (fairly weak, with milk, but by the mugfull). As I'm getting old decaffeinated coffee in the afternoon and herbal tea in the evening. Otherwise I won't sleep.

CS stands for coffee slurping, yes?
For me, 1/3 coffee, rest water. Once upon a time I had a samowar in my office, but no longer can do so. The local water is just terrible for tea.

ususally about 50% green tea from 8-5. ginger tea, black tea with milk or herbal teas from the herbs around where I live ... e.g. sage. Maybe one real good italian espresso a day, some times kombucha or club mate. And sometimes when I do code the last 3 hours before going to bed, where I simply enjoy it and I don't mind crazy ideas: beer

Usually nothing. In the morning I have two cups of coffee but that's all. The rest of the day will be water or Fitz's Root Beer but only when I notice I'm thirsty. Root beer doesn't have caffeine so it doesn't make me jittery. Fitz's because it's one of the very few available at the grocery store worth drinking.

I am not one who drinks liquor or beer, except occasionally with pizza or fights with the wife, but I have noticed that, when I'm stuck or tense, a shot of whiskey can bring clarity--followed by an hour long nap. I do not recommend this, though I do read where some young high end coders do drink heavily while programming. I can't confirm that or confirm the quality of their code.

For fun personal projects I tend to drink something nice like a decent rich ground coffee to relax with and enjoy the whole experience.

For projects I am not enjoying and I just want it over and done with, then water... from the tap. XD

Usually, I forget to drink when I code... ;)
And I sometimes forget to code when I drink ;)

During the day, it's mostly coffee and/or tea for me, adding plain water as necessary.

In the evenings, I sometimes enjoy a (light) beer while coding, this is when I'm working on private projects. I sometimes have the feeling that this actually helps ;) But of course, if you enjoy too much of this stuff, you end up sitting just staring at code ;)

Coffee (only in the morning), tea, water and Coke. Friday night it's usually one or more Bacardi & Coke.

When I'm totally hyper-focused I forget to drink, eat and even smoke.

I wonder if anyone has done the research about creative problem solving while smoking pot. Ballmer's peak for stoners? I prefer a little smoke to drinking on the weekend nights.

I wonder if anyone has done the research about creative problem solving while smoking pot.
I only have some anecdotal experience. You can be quite creative when thinking about solutions. But you will need to write those down and look at them again when you're sober. Most of those ideas are just too "far out" there (pun intended). That said, having done some mind altering drugs, it certainly helps with getting a different perspective on things, even when you're completely sober. Your brain is a little more flexible afterwards.

Years ago, a comedian said he thought of some of the funniest lines that would make him wake up in the middle of the night. The problem was, he couldn't remember them in the morning. So a friend suggested he keep a notepad and pen next to his bed so he could write them down. He did but, when he woke in the morning and looked at the notes, he wrote, "So...this guy...djkdf;;kkd;....ddidnotkddsjllsdf..and...hahahah."

Back