25 years ago a PC cost you an arm and leg...and possibly kidney if you lived outside Western World.
Very true. I bought my current small N100 minipc for just over 100 GBP a couple of years ago, direct from shenzhen. It had 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, gigabit ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, build-in soundcard, graphics hardware support for up to three 4K monitors(!!), built-in usb hub, and a 4-core cpu that I found I could compile a kernel on in about the same time as a 2010-era xeon, which is to say, pretty good. That spec would have been a monster machine in 2000, if you could even buy one that powerful back then. I think I paid something like 130 GBP for the new one, including shipping to UK; whereas the 2000-era machine would have cost thousands. Absolutely astonishing, if you stand back and think about it. Of course this is a tiny box by comparison with no expansion slots etc, but it's still very impressive compared to the year 2000 PC. Unfortunately the prices seem to have doubled over the last year, I looked up how much they cost a couple of months ago and it's more than double what I paid two years ago.
But compared to how much you had to spend to get a pc in 2000... its a drastic change, especially if you think of it in terms of the number of hours you have to work to buy one. And the difference to an original 1983 PC-AT with it's 10 MB hard drive, 640k dram, and 286 cpu, is stark.
It's gone from this...
to this...
... and the new one is much more powerful, and with greater capacity, than the old one.
So... what has enabled this change? Shrinking lithography geometries, achieved by massive invesment in the production technology by companies like ASML, TSMC, the dram and flash manufacturers, and got to give some credit to Intel, coz' it's still an Intel cpu that is at the heart of it. I tried to find a spec for the number of transistors in the N100 SoC, I can't find the number published, but it would not surprise me if it's of the order of 5-10 billion transistors on the chip. The real magic, then, is the production technlogy, that permits a device like that to be economically manufactured with a high enough yield, permitting it to be sold at a low enough price, such that that the machine itself can be profitably retailed for just over 100 GBP.
Another observation is that the amount of material in the thing is much smaller than the 2000-era PC, which means less junk ultimately going into landfill, which can only be a good thing. Hopefully the spoil-heap and chemical pollution arisiing from the minerals and hydrocarbons they had to mine and refine to build the thing is also much smaller, along with the energy consumed in the manufacturing process.
Another remarkable feature is that the new one is backwards compatible to the old one, which means that the software written 25 years ago can (mostly) still be run on the new one today. Which is also something that we are so used to that we hardly notice it, but is a very important feature. Hang on to your open architecture, kids... if they ever take that away, you'll be paying a heck of a lot more.
And one more... the modern machine consumes only about 10W in normal operation, I've measured it with a power meter. That year 2000 PC probably burned around 60W-80W, or more, by comparison.