What are your systems' names?

Our lab works in computational biology, so I named a few systems after three-letter amino acid codes like gly, phe and met. The big boss likes Arthurian legend, so we've named a few after characters like: awarnach, auberon, guinevere, merlin and nyneve. Awarnach supposedly means giant so that's what we named our cluster. See http://awarnach.mathstat.dal.ca.

Fun topic. :)

Have 4 gateway's named: mainserver, mainserver1, mainserver2 and mainserver3 all belonging to 1 customer (the clients are named nameserver*-OS-some_extra_data). @ work, we name the servers according to the service they provide, ex: smbsrv, project* (php projects - serving www here), nfssrv, panix (panic box a.k.a backup box - funny really), etc.

No gandalfs or hulk hogans or any other of the, what I believe to be, crap naming convention :).

da1 said:
No gandalfs or hulk hogans or any other of the, what I believe to be, crap naming convention :).
If you use DNS there's no reason why you can't have meaningful names and bring a bit of humor to the workplace at the same time; just use CNAME records.

Suppose for example that you have a big, powerful main server, a slower machine that's used only as a CVS server and a fruity, brightly-colored Apple box that acts as a web server. Then you could write something like
Code:
jeremyclarkson IN A 192.168.1.100
jamesmay       IN A 192.168.1.101
richardhammond IN A 192.168.1.102

mainserver IN CNAME jeremyclarkson
cvshost    IN CNAME jamesmay
www        IN CNAME richardhammond

One disadvantage that I see with your more conventional naming scheme is that you have to change the machine's hostname when its function changes. With the approach above, you only need to change a CNAME record in DNS.

Just my 2 (euro)cents,

Fonz

I know a company that has an IBM server named 'black' with an alias name 'dehomag'. Talk about black humor :e

fonz said:
One disadvantage that I see with your more conventional naming scheme is that you have to change the machine's hostname when its function changes. With the approach above, you only need to change a CNAME record in DNS.

Just my 2 (euro)cents,

Fonz

True.

In the old days when I playes games in Windows and havent even knew Linux, not even mentioning BSDs, I have had about 40+ GB of various data on the 'D:' disk (music/videos/gamesaves/FAQs/docs/...) and one beatiful day the disk say 'good bye' and I have lost all that data, as the backup term was pretty distant at that time. After getting the new drive and recovering the 'rest' of the data from 'casual burn to DVD' i named the 'D:' drive NETHERIL ... http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Netheril

I also always named my home workstation 'savio', dunno remmember why really, then I got a laptop, so it got 'mavio' name (mobile savio), and some more time later I got the ThinkPad X300, so the name was 'xavio' by then ;)

Now I use names from the Discworld, after a period where StarTrek was a good source of names.
The upcomming NAS which is to store backups and the family chronicals will be named after the librarian, the keeper of all (possible) books written. My current workstation holds a /home which I carry around for almost 15 years and several different systems - but it always followed these changes, sometimes in a tarball. Also, there are no games on that machine, nothing to distract me from working - which makes the timeless monk a good candidate for a name.

Wow, lots of creative names ;)
When I started experimenting with servers (jails, virtual and real) I just gave them all numbers like: server1, server2, server3 etc.
Only a few survived :D and then I started giving names like their function.

The list is now like this
server2.<domain> - homeserver (FreeBSD 8.2)
server4.<domain> - dedicated server (FreeBSD 8.1)
server5.<domain> - jail www
cel2.<domain> - dedicated (celeron cpu) server (FreeBSD 8.1)
irc.<domain> - jail irc
images.<domain> - jail www, images only
davical.<domain> - jail for calendar
smtp.<domain> - jail smtp
mx.<domain> - jail imap
webmail.<domain> - jail webmail

And non-servers just named after what they are.
macbook - 13" Macbook pro, (unexpectingly)
iMac - 27" iMac
laptop - 17" FreeBSD 8.1
eeepc - 9" openSUSE 11.4

I usually name my computers after various vessels. Except for Windows, because I don't see anything special about it. :p

Laptop: SS-America
Windows Laptop: goatdaddie-PC
Server: NR-1

T61p(retired): Reserve

Mine used to be named after demons out of Diablo (for FreeBSD machines).

e.g.

diablo, baal, mephisto, duriel, etc.

Now? Boring old names like:

ns1, mx1, proxy, etc.

As far as changing function goes... they're all VMs these days so I don't do that. I'll clone or install a new VM and run one function per box, pretty much.

I'm not exactly creative... so.. I have two computers in black cases.. one in a gray case.. I have blackbox, blackbeast (the more powerful of the two in black.. obviously), and graybeast (which is actually no longer alive...)

My fileserver is called "whitezone".

"The white zone is for loading and unloading only, if you have to load or if you have to unload, go to the white zone" (you'll love it, it's a way of life :p )

takino was my first desktop, and now it is domain name (takino.org) for all my PCs & such, and my vps is takino.org with some subdomains
All PCs after that were names of Azumanga Daioh characters
laptops are mihama (netbook), manabi (older obsd-based kinda main laptop) and kaguya (new high-perf laptop);

Till I've bought Mihama I was naming everything after Azumanga, then just random jap-like names which came to mind.

I've got some containers:

thimble, teaspoon, shotglass, halfpint, basket, bucket
barrel, firkin, rundlet, kilderkin, tierce, pin, hogshead, tun

And some plumbing parts:

manifold (stacked switches)
tee
checkvalve

This one is called "keeples."
The one I am fixing for a friend is called "mixing-box."
For the former, it is because I enjoy being silly.
For the latter, it is because the machine will be used for DJ'ing, mixing, recording, and other audio/studio applications.

At work our Windows servers are named much named after the services they provide. Imaginatively titled "Server" is the basic network server for NAT, AD etc. Hopefully this will soon be depreciated; then we have "Irisserver" which supports a programme suite called Iris and provides MS SQL Server. Finally our terminal server is called "ts". Our users are not at all technically minded and struggle with computers not named after the services they provide!

My personal devices I always name after Hollywood actresses or nice girls I know. Cameron, Marilyn, Sophie as they appear to have "personalities".

Other servers that I have come across in my time included Sesame Street characters. Bigbird, Elmo, etc. I did like Hispanic named servers too like Rodriguez, Lorenzo, etc.

spanglefox said:
My personal devices I always name after Hollywood actresses or nice girls I know. Cameron, Marilyn, Sophie as they appear to have "personalities".

Other servers that I have come across in my time included Sesame Street characters. Bigbird, Elmo, etc. I did like Hispanic named servers too like Rodriguez, Lorenzo, etc.

This reminds me, where I work we had a cluster of 3 OpenVMS Digital Alpha servers named Moe, Larry and Curly...of course this was some time ago :)

Did make you chuckle when you heard someone saying, "What is Elmo doing now?" When someone had managed to wipe their own data!

I do like the three stooges! Wonder if any Marx Bros. servers are out there? Has to be!

In my previous work the servers and workstations were all named after writers. My workstation was named "Asimov".

The main Linux server was called "Stoker".

Back