What are your systems' names?

Searched and didn't find a thread like this, so figured I'd start one. I always find it interesting to see what people name their computers, and a thread like this several years ago inspired me to pick my own naming scheme. :p

Mine are:
Code:
[servers]
bladefist.fallendusk.org -> (old) VPS [Debian 5.0 amd64]
ysera.fallendusk.org -> dedicated server [FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE i386]
firetree.fallendusk.org -> dev/testing jail on ysera
onyxia.fallendusk.org -> automated compiling jail on ysera

[home]
maelstrom.fallendusk.org -> mac mini home server [Debian 4.0 ppc]
elune.fallendusk.org -> Dell XPS 1530 laptop [FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2 i386]
malganis.fallendusk.org -> dev jail on elune
hakkar.fallendusk.org -> additional dev jail on elune 
senjin.fallendusk.org -> automated compiling jail on elune
akama.fallendusk.org -> setup but (yet) unused jail on elune
silvermoon.fallendusk.org -> Acer A1 Netbook [FreeBSD 8.0-BETA2 i386]
maiev.fallendusk.org -> (reserved) jail on silvermoon
detheroc.fallendusk.org -> (reserved) _maybe_ new 1U server, _maybe_ new home fileserver
eredar.fallendusk.org -> (reserved) jail on detheroc

I gave names to systems/jails I plan on setting up sometime in the near future so I don't have to think of them later.
+1 points to the first person to identify my naming scheme without looking it up. (should be easy) ;)

What's everyone else using? :beergrin

My naming scheme comes from things related to Steve Albini bands (Big Black, Shellac & Rapeman).

[Desktops]
Atomizer - My Workstation
Spoke - OpenBSD 4.5 laptop
Racer X - Mac OS X, Apple 8500.

[Servers]
Santiago - Alpha Aspen Durango II(the 2nd guitar player for Big Black name was Santiago Durango)
Pigpile - A file server, just retired.
Terraform - Alpha server 1000.

roddierod said:
My naming scheme comes from things related to Steve Albini bands (Big Black, Shellac & Rapeman).

Excellent! No 'Kerosene' for a firewall or 'Cables' for a switch yet?

DutchDaemon said:
Excellent! No 'Kerosene' for a firewall or 'Cables' for a switch yet?

HA HA!!

Actually I did have a firewall/router named Kerosene a few years back. I also had a laptop named Roland and an UltraSparc station named Weston but they were all lost in a flood.

Your'e gonna make me go dig out the screenshot of the Big Black KDE theme I made long ago!!

I name mine after wines. Workstations or VMs are zinfandel, pinot, syrah, shiraz, barbera, port, chianti and merlot. The server is hoover, because he is the loudest of the bunch. Yes, that one is not a wine.

kano said:
What's everyone else using? :beergrin

New servers that I deploy are named after Greek mythological figures. (I really enjoyed that stuff as a child.)

Servers I've inherited have a mishmash of odd names. (Bert? Ernie?)

I think Star Trek, LOTR, and other 'fantasy' characters are still predominant in many data centers (well, the ones that still have a 'personal feel' to them -- i.e. not overrun by managers).

However, I swear that if I see one more server named 'gandalf' I will scream.

I still have a weak spot for the seven dwarves (sneezy, grumpy, etc.) and some other comic stuff, ranging from poindexter to bambam (bamm-bamm).

I once named a Cleanfeed server (cleaning spam and other crap from newsfeeds) Kleenex. Perfect fit.

dbz fan here...my firewall name is kamehameha.example.com :e our load balancer name is Vegeta.example.com. it is fun.. sometime I get email from fellow DBZ fan too about our hostname �e

Now there is new sucky corporate policy about naming server, I hate it..

from observation:
routers: rtr-*upstream isp*.domain
local routers: rtr-*world directions(east,west..)*.domain
media/mail/ftp.domain
mine is midnight.domain

Mine comes mostly from the Firefly and Serenity universe of Joss Wheadon. So:
Serenity, Persephone, Ariel, Osiris, Cortex, Miranda, Haven etc

Also I have a OpenBSD firewall, which name I got from their latest "release song": puffytron

I followed last presidential election closely.

So an older computer in a shiny aluminum case is Clinton. The newer and more powerful, in a beautiful black case is Obama. A clunky slow laptop is Biden. I don't have anything old enough to be called McCain.

:e

tankist02 said:
I don't have anything old enough to be called McCain.

:e

Don't you have a lightweight but obnoxiously noisy laptop with faulty memory? There's your Palin ;)

kano said:
+1 points to the first person to identify my naming scheme without looking it up. (should be easy) ;)

Hmm, I get the feeling they might be inspired by a world where they hone their skills at the craft of war?

Anyway, I have so far named my installs in very boring ways (essentially something identifying the relevant hardware) ... I think I have to come up with something more interesting. :e

Djn said:
Hmm, I get the feeling they might be inspired by a world where they hone their skills at the craft of war?

Anyway, I have so far named my installs in very boring ways (essentially something identifying the relevant hardware) ... I think I have to come up with something more interesting. :e

Yup. :e I'm surprised someone didn't catch it soon. :p

I used to assign just random names to my computers. Some that come to mind are asylum, deus, and cimmeria.

Disney heroines for me!

Firewall: mulan.
Media server: ariel.
Desktop suitable for LAN parties: portabelle.
Asus Eee laptops: teeenk and eeeve.

I once had a server named duchess supporting several xterminals named marie, toulouse, and berlioz.

Two other historically notable machines: a system that kept on going down was named jasmine and another system with two hard drives stacked on top was named esmerelda.

I used to name all machines I touched after reboot characters, enzo, phong, bob, matrix, etc. Until I ran out of reasonable short names to use ... My home server is still called glitch which is sort of appropriate since it does 1001 things ...

Now I just use whatever I can think of at the moment, Anything from puffy to cthulhu and even as boring as just martin ...

My web/file server is matsumoto (FreeBSD 6.4), my laptop is yachiru (OS x), my newest box doesn't have a name yet. I'm thinking kukaku, & I have another box that I have another box I haven't turned on in a while named yoruichi. Though I may consolidate everything into my new box & just have the jails named and get rid of a box or 2... or 3. I have 4 "desktops" sitting in my room now with my laptop.

...Kano my co-workers got a laugh from your names. haha. (I kinda figured it out from them).

Back