web browser choice for FreeBSD

hedgehog said:
Have it :]
Are you sure you added webfonts to you xorg.conf? It needs to be there along with other fonts. You can also load it with xset, but that's only till you restart you X's.

hedgehog said:
Can't. Everything is too small on 1680*1050 killing my eyes

Then your eyes are in a really bad shape. I myself wear glasses, my resolution is 1920x1080 (FullHD, 24") and STILL, I don't zoom.

pkubaj said:
Are you sure you added webfonts to you xorg.conf? It needs to be there along with other fonts. You can also load it with xset, but that's only till you restart you X's.
Nope, I didn't think that it's necessary since opera found the fonts once I've installed them. Even Konqueror displayed fonts better, than firefox. But that was FF 3.8 if memory serves me well..

pkubaj said:
Then your eyes are in a really bad shape. I myself wear glasses, my resolution is 1920x1080 (FullHD, 24") and STILL, I don't zoom.
My eyes are ok :] I perfectly see a tiny font from 1m distance of the display, but reading walls of text in this case making my eyes exhausted too fast

hedgehog said:
Nope, I didn't think that it's necessary since opera found the fonts once I've installed them. Even Konqueror displayed fonts better, than firefox. But that was FF 3.8 if memory serves me well..

My eyes are ok :] I perfectly see a tiny font from 1m distance of the display, but reading walls of text in this case making my eyes exhausted too fast

It is necessary. I don't really know how Opera does it, maybe fonts are embedded to the browser? Anyway, somehow nothing is required to get them look nice in Opera, so the only way they can do it is by font embedding, AFAIK. Firefox makes you take care of it on your own. BTW there wasn't Firefox 3.8. The last version before 4.0 is 3.6 and fonts didn't look well on it by default, at least on my PC.

My web browser choice would be Chromium and Opera (in that order). I haven;t used FF for a veeeery long time. The thing I hate about Opera is what I love about Chromium ... the memory footprint. Another thing I don't like about Opera is that it's too bloated (another plus for Chromium). On the other hand, Chromium is incredibly fast but incredibly simply (personally, I feel like I'm dying without mouse gestures, speed dial, tab grouping and some other stuff you can get in Chromium only via plugins) - I hate wasting time to make another thing like something I already like.

Both are nice but it depends on the person and reason he/she has to use that particular browser.

My 2c.

PS: Still using Opera as my primary browser :)

da1 said:
The thing I hate about Opera is what I love about Chromium ... the memory footprint.
How much are they using on your machine?
Here Opera's using 112 MB of reserved memory after being open for 15 hours. I'll admit I don't use crap like Flash though. But even 112 MB is nothing given the size of memories today. Actually it doesn't even bother me with the ridiculous amount of memory this machine has.

da1 said:
Another thing I don't like about Opera is that it's too bloated (another plus for Chromium).
Opera bloated?
You can customize virtually everything you see, including moving/removing all toolbars and the buttons on them.
You can disable all visual effects.
You can change the theme and use the extremely minimalistic and fast X11-based one.
Link, Unite, Turbo, etc. can all be disabled (or just not enabled to begin with) and they don't use any resources when they are.
Any additional features are available as extensions and not included in the main application.
Even the included mail client can be disabled as far as I can remember.
The entire setup is less than 11 MB compressed and less than 30 uncompressed.

nekoexmachina said:
I was using firefox since it was, like, 0.8?
After trying to update to 4.0 Im migrating to vimprobable? luakit? uzbl?
Anything that is /not/ that greedy on memory.

www/surf might also meet your needs.

If you are using opera be sure to somehow have the following
toolbar:
||Find in page||Find Next||AuthorMode||Images(show,cached,off)||Fit to Width|| zoom level||
Each of which I find indispensable as immediately available (Author Mode -- User Mode maybe opera specific but it "fixes" many sites).
then back up the configuration, opera crashes sometimes delete the toolbar: (.opera/toobar/, fontswitch.ini, operaprefs.ini, (each in .opera) at least...

killasmurf86 said:

Well, Opera is faster and it even is more responsive at small systems like Intel Atom. But it has got more problems with javascript and generally is more prone to failure on certain pages. But apart from those glitches now and then, Opera is a fine browser.

Beastie said:
How much are they using on your machine?
Around 300.

Opera bloated?
You can customize virtually everything you see, including moving/removing all toolbars and the buttons on them.
You can disable all visual effects.
You can change the theme and use the extremely minimalistic and fast X11-based one.
Link, Unite, Turbo, etc. can all be disabled (or just not enabled to begin with) and they don't use any resources when they are.
Any additional features are available as extensions and not included in the main application
It feels bloated compared to Chromium/Chrome simply because it has things I don;t use ... nothing else.

tingo said:
FWIW, simply installing x11-fonts/webfonts also improves the font rendering of this forum in Firefox 3.x for me. Nice!

I mentioned setting to Dejavu sans just in case...
Last time I forgot to install webfonts and then changed my font preferences and it all screwed things up....
then I
Code:
$ mv ~/.opera ~/.opera.bak
$ opera

to check default settings (once I installed webfonts)

kpedersen said:
Just realized that opera is in the 8.2-RELEASE packages.

I didn't think its licensing allowed that.

If its licensing would not allow it, then FreeBSD developers/maintainers would not put it there ... like LAME port (lack of package) for example.

The new, updated Chromium is now in ports. For now it seems that it's more a tech preview (alpha), but nevertheless, it works! For now you need to run it with --single-process parameter, settings of extensions are deleted when you close Chromium and it crashes on websites with HTML5 (video tag to be precise), but it's great that there is some progress.

In fact I'm running Chrome 12 (development tree) with zero problems. Actually, had almost no problems to speak of since Chromium 3 or 4.

rbelk said:
I use www/opera on FreeBSD, Windows, and Ubuntu. I even use Opera mobile on my Nokia E71 mobile phone.
I love Opera. It's an old and time proven browser and runs native. You also get native java and if you want youtube, just do the html5 version.

I also use it on my Windows 7 computer and on my Nokia E71 as well (E72 is crap, 20mb less RAM, E71 can run 5 apps no problem).

I don't know when all the Firefox and now Crome fanboys started appearing.

Let's not start about fanboyism on this subject, ok? We all have our preferences.

Having a play with firefox 4 atm, and out of all 3 of the new and trendy browsers (Chrome, Opera, FF) it definitely plays html5 videos on youtube the worst but it does play it just about.

This isn't really an issue because once the video sticks in an advert, then flash is needed anyway (so I use youtube-dl) but is nice to know however that web videos will soon be "actually" feasible for people to watch.

And on that day, we should all cancel our Adobe Flash FreeBSD bug report tickets with smug smiles on our faces :)

Since flash doesn't work on what I use, xxxterm is for normal browsing while midori or firefox are for uploading content.

DutchDaemon said:
Let's not start about fanboyism on this subject, ok? We all have our preferences.
Google's advertisement at full speed. I don't know why ANYONE would use their sluggish phishware...

Preference is one thing, bandwaggoning is another. Don't confuse them. TBH even IE 9 is better than Chrome.

I won't write anymore here so you don't lock the thread or delete my comments.

Back