web browser choice for FreeBSD

I'd been looking forward to Firefox 4, but it still dumps cores while visiting Flash-heavy sites. Opera 11 automagically cleans up Flash core dumps, and it hardly gets freezed on my FreeBSD 8.2 machine. Thus, I use Opera on my FreeBSD machine. Is there anyone who has no issues with Flash-heavy sites using a browser other than Opera?

My firefox (3.6.x) works fine with most sites. The only issue is with some flash ads that seem to trip the flash player. Adblock for firefox pretty much solved that by blocking almost all of the ads.

Yesterday I installed new www/firefox, and it looks very good.

From my subjective point of view - it's faster than firefox3, fonts looks now how they should (couldn't get them working as intended with ff3), and flash works good so far.

I was using firefox since it was, like, 0.8?
After trying to update to 4.0 Im migrating to vimprobable? luakit? uzbl?
Anything that is /not/ that greedy on memory.

Firefox 3 and Firefox 3-Linux. Chromium is in the ports, but its always behind on the security updates which is kind of annoying and thus I do not use it. Now that Firefox 4 is in the ports apparently, I think I will go and check that out :).

SirDice said:
The only issue is with some flash ads that seem to trip the flash player.
There is "load plugins on demand" feature in Opera. Turning this option on will make flash load only when you click on it on the page

Before Firefox 4, Opera was simply the best browser for FreeBSD (since Chromium isn't available besides some rather old version). But Firefox 4 is way better than Opera, it's really awesome.

I have 3 problems with Opera:
- Font rendering is worse than with Firefox
- You cannot resize the settings window, and now the OK, Cancel and Help button disappear "behind" other window items
- As with all QT4 apps, when starting Opera, a lot of kdeinit4 processes are started also, making it slow.

I think Firefox is better too. The only problem I have with it is when opening a page in a new tab. It takes several seconds before it actually opens the page. It works fine when opening the page in an existing tab.

MarcoB said:
- You cannot resize the settings window, and now the OK, Cancel and Help button disappear "behind" other window items
- As with all QT4 apps, when starting Opera, a lot of kdeinit4 processes are started also, making it slow.

I think Firefox is better too. The only problem I have with it is when opening a page in a new tab. It takes several seconds before it actually opens the page. It works fine when opening the page in an existing tab.

1) install x11-fonts/webfonts (package isn't available for this one) and set fonts to Dejavu Sans and Dejavu Sans Mono (in settings -> Web pages)
2) can't reproduce
3) either pkg_add -r opera or install opera from ports without GTK and KDE4 support.... find good theme like (Netbook Skin v 11.3 [my favourite theme] - http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=9261) and enjoy most lightwidth, fully featured browser ever :), also set Dialog Toolkit to 4 to use bare X11

killasmurf86 said:
1) install x11-fonts/webfonts (package isn't available for this one)
I have already installed these (don't use packages).
3) either pkg_add -r opera or install opera from ports without GTK and KDE4 support.... find good theme like (Netbook Skin v 11.3 [my favourite theme] - http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=9261) and enjoy most lightwidth, fully featured browser ever :), also set Dialog Toolkit to 4 to use bare X11
The QT4 toolkit is the only one that looks ok. The other ones just look terrible, especially the interface fonts.

I use fluxbox for window manager btw. And Opera is the only application that has problems with its fonts (use both qt4 and gtk).

MarcoB said:
I have already installed these (don't use packages).

The QT4 toolkit is the only one that looks ok. The other ones just look terrible, especially the interface fonts.

I use fluxbox for window manager btw. And Opera is the only application that has problems with its fonts (use both qt4 and gtk).

I use it with fvwm and xmonad. no problem, ye without good theme pure X can be very scary to look at.
But with theme, that I meantioned it looks awesome (even config dialogs....)
http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=124888&postcount=291

Try it, you'll love it

MarcoB said:

In my case, I use Gnome and I don't have problems like yours. Fonts are beautiful (my fonts settings are in this thread http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?t=2021), fonts-wise, Firefox 4 and Opera 11 are same.

I have no problems with fonts and dialogs in opera under KDE4. I've tried firefox but:
- it was totally ugly even with oxygen theme installed;
- there was problems with rendering fonts in ff
- ugly fonts and images when zooming page
- heavy lags and freezes with adobe flash

Really not in a mood for installing FF4 :]

killasmurf86 said:

Opera sometimes loads websites really slow, even though I'm not downloading anything, Firefox doesn't have this problem. The problem with Firefox was that before 4, Firefox itself was slow (slow starting etc.), now it's not. 2nd problem with Opera is its lagging of Flash. Firefox did lag as well (before 4), but less (that was why I used Firefox for Flash and Opera for the rest), but now it works just like on Windows or Linux. The only issue I have with Firefox is its ugliness, but that can be dealt with.

hedgehog said:
I have no problems with fonts and dialogs in opera under KDE4. I've tried firefox but:
- it was totally ugly even with oxygen theme installed;
- there was problems with rendering fonts in ff
- ugly fonts and images when zooming page
- heavy lags and freezes with adobe flash

Really not in a mood for installing FF4 :]

1. It's not for me.
2. Install x11-fonts/webfonts
3. I don't zoom.
4. Exactly opposite.

Back