we should support opera

Status
Not open for further replies.
since the only browser from other cares to support us with binary executable (up to date one) realy we should spread it plus it standard compliant browser which will not eat all you memory or crash most the time like ( firefox) ,, before couple of days google provide linux chrome and not even mention that it will support freebsd in near future they realy dont care about us we should fight back and spread opera if they dont care about us we will not care about them opera for ever
opera_revolution.png

That's a really good point. However I was just looking at installing a browser on a new system and I did not chose Opera. The reason is that all descriptions that I have seen says that it comes with a built-in mail reader.

I might consider using opera, only when opera in ports, start using QT4....
And even then I'll think alot..... because I like [red]OpenSource[/red]

OJ said:
That's a really good point. However I was just looking at installing a browser on a new system and I did not chose Opera. The reason is that all descriptions that I have seen says that it comes with a built-in mail reader.

You know you don't have to set it up. I use the mail reader because it's hella useful and supports everything that sylpheed does and more. But before I started using it I did indeed use sylpheed and opera meshed with it flawlessly.

I'm surprised that that anyone would not use a product because it comes with a feature that they don't like that is no hassle *not* to use. That's like saying you don't like FreeBSD because they support the ZFS filesystem. If you don't like ZFS not only do you not have to use it but you don't have to work to not use it. Same goes for Opera Mail.

OJ said:

Nobody force you to use Operas mail reader :D

darkshadow said:
since the only browser from other cares to support us with binary executable (up to date one) realy we should spread it plus it standard compliant browser which will not eat all you memory or crash most the time like ( firefox) ,, before couple of days google provide linux chrome and not even mention that it will support freebsd in near future they realy dont care about us we should fight back and spread opera if they dont care about us we will not care about them opera for ever
opera_revolution.png

Spreading FUD will not make your $FAVOURITE_BROWSER more popular. And what are those "other" browsers, which do not care to provide binary packages? "Other" browser are available as packages, as well as source code, which opera doesn't provide.

sory but it harsh a little
it not my favorite browser you talking about Firefox who will take gigs from your memory or stupid safari who will not install on freebsd , or chrome that google will never provide binary for it on freebsd so you will run over linux binary emulation and have your loyalty back for linux if you dont want it dont use it I think they dont mind, just think a little to return a favor back to those who care about us like opera nvidia and others even they product is close source but they dont need us we need them so we have to tell them if you support us we will support you , and I think I have freedom to say what ever I want and opera have a lot of user and don't need me case all most of mobile phone have opera browser ,, im web developer and I use all browser for testing

Heh, I just don't understand how bashing every other browser helps supporting Opera. And how exactly are you going to support it?

How can you trust Closed Source? I have no idea, what it does.
Ah and what is problem with making FF packages? they are available...

Anyway... looks like this is going to be flame-war

if you dont know the ideai from my post it is better not to comment , go developing with firefox maybe you will enhace its , im just talking about using something good free by that we will show others that becuase that thing respect freebsd and it is user base(which it big) we use it and we try it and if it good and suit our work will use it, we will not reject idea just becuase it close source or any thing else it is run natively on freebsd that all what we need no more emulation (humiliation) ,,,

Browsing with Firefox, jammin music with mplayer, plus numerous other things running, mine must be broken, Im only using 412Mb of RAM.

This is also in the wrong section...well for the moment. And Im being completely useless.

:p

He he he
I don't use Skype [No native anything], I don't use Opera [No QT4 binary], I don't use flash [No native anything], I don't use nvidia-drivers [I changed my graphics card with my fried. I had better nvidia card, he had much older/worse... ati card]

I'm happy

EDIT
Heck, I don't even use Google search anymore

chalbersma said:
That's like saying you don't like FreeBSD because they support the ZFS filesystem. If you don't like ZFS not only do you not have to use it but you don't have to work to not use it. Same goes for Opera Mail.
Ah, but there are parts of FreeBSD that I don't like. The difference is, with FreeBSD I can remove them from the build because I have the source.

I actually like Opera from the few times I've played with it, but given the opportunity I'll choose source over binaries every time.

OJ said:
all descriptions that I have seen says that it comes with a built-in mail reader.
And the problem is ____? You can use anything you want for the mail (including a third-party application), and you can disable the built-in mail/chat system by adding Show E-mail Client=0 to operaprefs.ini if I'm not mistaken.

killasmurf86 said:
I might consider using opera, only when opera in ports, start using QT4....
Would it work better with QT4 than it does with QT3? Would it leave a similar or smaller memory footprint? Would it be as fast or faster?

killasmurf86 said:
And even then I'll think alot..... because I like [red]OpenSource[/red]
An open source Opera would be really nice (it's actually the only closed source application I use), but the fact is that it has always satisfied *my* needs more than any other (non-text-mode) browser.

crsd said:
Spreading FUD will not make your $FAVOURITE_BROWSER more popular. And what are those "other" browsers, which do not care to provide binary packages? "Other" browser are available as packages, as well as source code, which opera doesn't provide.
I will not compare Opera to anything else, but at least *some parts* of what he says are true. Opera officially scores 100% on Acid3 (I usually get 99%, but still), it loads relatively fast, leaves a medium memory footprint, and the last time it ever crashed here was probably around version 7.x.

Beastie said:
Would it work better with QT4 than it does with QT3? Would it leave a similar or smaller memory footprint? Would it be as fast or faster?

I just don't want to install it... I Already have QT4, Shitload of different gtk, and god know how may other.... I'm minimalist... see my screenshots http://picasaweb.google.com/killasmurf86

Beastie said:
An open source Opera would be really nice (it's actually the only closed source application I use), but the fact is that it has always satisfied *my* needs more than any other (non-text-mode) browser.

I have need of open source....

Anyway... I just installed opera, just to see how much did it evolve since last time I used it.

Yes there are some Very cool features... and It used to be my favorite Browser for log time.

Indeed it load pages very fast.... You got me interested in it again. :)

About memory footprint... Currently running Opena and Firefox35:
Firefox Size:199M, Res:155M
Opera Size:276M, RES:98M

Now I'll look how can I manage cookies and block adds.... if Opera can do that, and some more features that I use on Firefox

EDIT:
seams opera use at least 2-3x less CPU, that Firefox

try this

please could you open 7 tabs on each of them with same site and test memory and cpu usage , and see how firefox will be slow ;) , im not aginst firefox or open source , I use to developer and test web application on firefox and opera ,, time play rule too , I even use swiftix which is optimized version of firefox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back