we should support opera

Status
Not open for further replies.

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

There's 1 feature all GUI Browsers miss [well, maybe except Konqueror]
It's sorting ftp... [by date, name etc]....
 

aragon

Daemon

Reaction score: 283
Messages: 2,029

There's another thing all browsers miss by a long shot: proper form upload handling.
 

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

ortus.rtu.lv doesn't work well with Opera...
You can't verify it... page requires login....

when I login o=some features doesn't work..
So... Again it's proven.... firefox for me.

Previous time Opera didn't work on site I was learning C...
 

dennylin93

Aspiring Daemon

Reaction score: 114
Messages: 783

killasmurf86 said:
ortus.rtu.lv doesn't work well with Opera...
You can't verify it... page requires login....

when I login o=some features doesn't work..
So... Again it's proven.... firefox for me.

Previous time Opera didn't work on site I was learning C...

There might not be anything wrong with Opera. Think about all the sites that only show properly when IE is used.
 

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

Ye, There "might not be anything wrong with IE"

Anyway, that site is "must be usable" for me...
 

Oxyd

Active Member

Reaction score: 16
Messages: 166

dennylin93 said:
There might not be anything wrong with Opera. Think about all the sites that only show properly when IE is used.

True, but this is useless to know: The pages still don't work in Opera, no matter whose fault it is.

Actually, this is what makes me wanna switch to Firefox occasionally -- lots of these cool and super-modern pages, like Facebook, don't work well in Opera. But whenever I start Firefox I go like "Ughhhh" and it's back to Opera for me.

I'm definitely looking forward to having working Google Chrome on FBSD -- it's my browser of choice on those systems that support it, Opera is the second for me.

Edit: Riiight. I clicked killasmurf's link to see his minimal desktop and all I get is:
You are using a browser that is not fully supported. Some features may not work too well, but you are welcome to have a look around.

*sigh*
 

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

Oxyd said:
True, but this is useless to know: The pages still don't work in Opera, no matter whose fault it is.

Actually, this is what makes me wanna switch to Firefox occasionally -- lots of these cool and super-modern pages, like Facebook, don't work well in Opera. But whenever I start Firefox I go like "Ughhhh" and it's back to Opera for me.
I had same feeling when I was switching from Opera to Firefox many years ago.

Oxyd said:
I'm definitely looking forward to having working Google Chrome on FBSD
me to.... however there are some Firefox addons, i just can't live without.
 

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

For me ortus.rtu.lv shows list of browsers that are fully supported...
Opera among them....
Well it's not fully working.... I'll mail admins
 

Oxyd

Active Member

Reaction score: 16
Messages: 166

killasmurf86 said:
me to.... however there are some Firefox addons, i just can't live without.

Like which ones? I remember all these addons bloating Firefox even more, becoming a general PITA when you have too many of them loaded.

killasmurf86 said:
Hmmm? What's wrong with it?

Nothing now, I managed to view your gallery, but it still keeps me warning that Opera is not fully supported.

Google doesn't seem to like Opera in general -- a few days ago I got an invite for Google Wave (totally useless toy, if you ask me), but I had to use Firefox, because it didn't work at all with Opera.

It looks like everyone is trying to push Opera away, and I hate to say it, but they are being quite successful.
 

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

Oxyd said:
Like which ones? I remember all these addons bloating Firefox even more, becoming a general PITA when you have too many of them loaded.

adblock plus
NoScript
CookieSafe
Targeted Advertising Cookie Opt-Out
FireBug
FireCookie
Web Developer
And I start to like Vimperator

Oxyd said:
Nothing now, I managed to view your gallery, but it still keeps me warning that Opera is not fully supported.

Google doesn't seem to like Opera in general -- a few days ago I got an invite for Google Wave (totally useless toy, if you ask me), but I had to use Firefox, because it didn't work at all with Opera.

It looks like everyone is trying to push Opera away, and I hate to say it, but they are being quite successful.

Well, we can hope that it may Force Opera to release source... and let community fix it :D [small, but still a chance]
 

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Developer

Reaction score: 3,277
Messages: 11,452

I don't know under which circumstances 'Firefox will take gigs of memory', but I've never seen it, and I'm using it with quite a number of add-ons plus Flash10. It uses 140M (RES), it never crashes or freezes my system, and it starts up in just a handful of seconds (even the first time). FUD indeed.
 

alie

Aspiring Daemon

Reaction score: 54
Messages: 575

Its very easy to make Firefox take 400MB+ on our machine, juts leave it for 1/2-1 day and keeps browsing with it
 
OP
darkshadow

darkshadow

Active Member

Reaction score: 10
Messages: 171

it realy did that for me daily maybe case I use it for 8 hour without closing or restart t , it turn after one hour to freeze many time and taking mush of memory even some time I kill it from shell , this turn development to hell ,every thing not design I test it with opera it make my life easer thanks God that there something that I hope t will provide binary for freebsd case it make life easer for me and I hope it will make that for every one
 
OP
darkshadow

darkshadow

Active Member

Reaction score: 10
Messages: 171

for firebug simmiler tools take a look on dragon fly http://www.opera.com/developer/

and there thing called user script ( similer to greasmonky ) even you can use the former script I never try that
for cookie I think you view edit and view cookies throw option provided by opera
I search for web developer and I find plugin for opera but it kind of old
for other thing take a look at this it is kind of funny things http://widgets.opera.com/
 

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Developer

Reaction score: 3,277
Messages: 11,452

alie said:
Its very easy to make Firefox take 400MB+ on our machine, juts leave it for 1/2-1 day and keeps browsing with it

I have FF on about 16 hours a day on my laptop. It never goes much higher than 180M (after 6 hours, it's a 145M RES now). And this is with NoScript, AdBlock, Flash, the works.
 

aragon

Daemon

Reaction score: 283
Messages: 2,029

DD, 32bit? Mine's over 200 MB RES and I just logged into my PC now to read forums.freebsd.org. :)

(64bit tho)
 

graudeejs

Son of Beastie

Reaction score: 707
Messages: 4,617

darkshadow said:
... ,every thing not design I test it with opera it make my life easer thanks God that there something that I hope t will provide binary for freebsd case it make life easer for me and I hope it will make that for every one

I don't understand why are you so fancy about Opera Binary....
Have you ever used pkg_add?

Try this:
# pkg_add -r firefox35

Guess what will it do?
 

oliverh

Aspiring Daemon

Reaction score: 38
Messages: 557

killasmurf86 said:
He he he
I don't use Skype [No native anything], I don't use Opera [No QT4 binary], I don't use flash [No native anything], I don't use nvidia-drivers [I changed my graphics card with my fried. I had better nvidia card, he had much older/worse... ati card]

I'm happy

EDIT
Heck, I don't even use Google search anymore

Well, Richard Stallman doesn't even use a browser, he downloads the pages he want to read with wget :D
 

oliverh

Aspiring Daemon

Reaction score: 38
Messages: 557

DutchDaemon said:
I have FF on about 16 hours a day on my laptop. It never goes much higher than 180M (after 6 hours, it's a 145M RES now). And this is with NoScript, AdBlock, Flash, the works.

You're an administrator, other people do different work (authors, journalists etc.) and after 8h I have about 500+Mb for Firefox, while blocking adverts etc. with Privoxy. That said, it sucks less at least at the moment. Opera has different problems, like a lousy JS engine in 10.x, incompatible with many pages.
 

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Developer

Reaction score: 3,277
Messages: 11,452

aragon said:
DD, 32bit? Mine's over 200 MB RES and I just logged into my PC now to read forums.freebsd.org. :)

(64bit tho)

I switched from 32-bit to 64-bit recently, and the numbers appear to be virtually the same. I'm now at 156M.
 

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Developer

Reaction score: 3,277
Messages: 11,452

oliverh said:
You're an administrator, other people do different work (authors, journalists etc.)

Oh, come on, Oliver ;) My browsing behaviour cannot simply be defined by me being 'an administrator' (which is 10% of my work, and 1% of my FF use). I'm in R&D and innovation, I do research, I have hundreds of RSS feeds ranging from the NYT to Slashdot to ICHC, and everything in between ... and I read a lot of stuff in a day. Why my FF is magically well-behaved, I do not know. Perhaps that's the 'luck of the administrator'!
 

Oxyd

Active Member

Reaction score: 16
Messages: 166

DutchDaemon said:
Oh, come on, Oliver ;) My browsing behaviour cannot simply be defined by me being 'an administrator' (which is 10% of my work, and 1% of my FF use). I'm in R&D and innovation, I do research, I have hundreds of RSS feeds ranging from the NYT to Slashdot to ICHC, and everything in between ... and I read a lot of stuff in a day. Why my FF is magically well-behaved, I do not know. Perhaps that's the 'luck of the administrator'!

Firefox fears that if it misbehaves, you will come and edit it to submission. :D
 

DutchDaemon

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Developer

Reaction score: 3,277
Messages: 11,452

Oh right, I am using firefox-moderated. Forgot all about that... ;)
 

Dru

Active Member

Reaction score: 14
Messages: 186

How are you gentlemen.

All your base are belong to us.

You are on the way to destruction.

You have no chance to survive make your time.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top