Wayland screenshots

For labwc,

mate-panel works when i nest into sway. Otherwise it does not.
waybar shows nothing
swaybar show nothing.
nwg-menu does not work
nwg-bar does not work
Must test yambar & hybridbar

How can I know the difference ?

Note there are at least 3 functional window managers : sway,river,labwc. I find sway nested within labwc interesting.
Note : labwc has no bar.
in Xterm, type:
Code:
echo $XDG_SESSION_TYPE
If it's Wayland, the code above will return wayland

Including that in the screenshot will go a long way to describing a screenshot that would otherwise be identical to what can be produced with Xorg.

Possibly don't use it for anything important. From its website:

"Note: river is currently early in development. Expect breaking changes and missing features
[...]
To enable experimental Xwayland support pass the -Dxwayland option as well."

And it seems labwc doesn't support fullscreen yet. It is basically on par with TWM :)

Also note that they are *not* window managers. They are entire compositors which is equivalent to 1/5 the work of an Xserver. They are very large project scopes for individual developers so I can't confidently say I have much trust in them to succeed. But good luck to them. i3 and emulations like Sway are fairly poor tiling environments (even the tiny DWM has more heuristics) so it will be good to have alternatives.

sway within labwc or labwc within sway is fullscreen enough for me.

Attachments

• 20210915_20h43m35s_grim.png
    20210915_20h43m35s_grim.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 163
How can I know the difference ?

Note there are at least 3 functional window managers : sway,river,labwc. I find sway nested within labwc interesting.
Note : labwc has no bar.
Good question, and I'm not really knowledgeable enough on the subject to provide a good answer. One way that worked on Ubuntu 21.04 was to simply run ps -ef | grep -i wayland, whereupon I found "Xwayland" in the output.

Did quite a bit of reading on the subject last week, but didn't keep good bookmarks. Here are a few I just happened to leave open in Firefox tabs:

Last week I burned about 6-8 hours on a little Wayland adventure. First I upgraded my Ubuntu 20.04 with Mate DE to 21.04, with the naive notion in my head that I would get "Wayland by default" as part of the package. No such luck, so, after some reading on the Ubuntu and Debian sites, I installed Ubuntu 21.04 with Gnome3 desktop. Went on a similar adventure with Debian and KDE before losing interest. All of this is outside of my main focus... if I can even claim to have any focus left, since I'm retired now. I'll probably stick with Mate, which, as far as I know, has no Wayland support whatsoever, anywhere.

I think Ubuntu is leading Debian down the primrose path, ruining most of what I ever liked about Debian in the process, but that's way off topic. More to the point, I suppose, Wayland seems to be a fine distraction for people and software institutions with too much time on their hands and money to waste. I don't see the need for Wayland, and, by the time if and when it ever reaches a point where it can stand on its own without using X as a crutch, it will be just as big and bloated as X ever was. However, like its friend and co-conspirator systemd, it will be less modular and more monolithic. JMHO, and I'm just an old dinosaur who probably won't live long enough to see the outcome anyway.

sway within labwc. It is fullscreen enough for me.
So in labwc things like Firefox F12 (for fullscreen) or xpdf / LibreOffice fullscreen presentations work?

That said, it isn't a dealbreaker. Programs have slowly been breaking themselves for Motif WM fullscreen for years.

i3 and emulations like Sway are fairly poor tiling environments (even the tiny DWM has more heuristics) so it will be good to have alternatives.
I'm curious about the reasoning behind that statement. What makes them poor in your opinion?

Last edited:
Back