Wayland screenshots

Post your wayland screenshots and or configs.
A bit "boring" , sway+wayland+mate-panel+strawberry-player,

Attachments

• test.png
    test.png
    524.7 KB · Views: 485
One of my friends -- a long time Arch (recently Artix) user, has been struggling with the dilemma of adopting Wayland in his Bash-written Linux life or to migrate to one of the BSDs and start over.

This thread might be a bit limited for a few (50+?) years. ;)

Raw compositors are like re-writing incomplete X11 servers so there remains very few of them. They also look and function identically to the X11 Window Managers they are cloning so they might as well be in the standard screenshots thread?

Most people don't use wayland, and if they do most use KDE.
Note, I don't use stacking layout, or "hikari". I don't resize or place Windows.
The tabbed layout is all i need, and I find it really productive.
There are not many "bars". One is swaybar, another one is waybar, a third one is sfwbar.

Note, I don't use stacking layout, or "hikari". I don't resize or place Windows.
There are not many "bars". One is swaybar, another one is waybar, a third one is sfwbar.
I am a big fan of tiling window managers. However I always found i3 to be the least efficient one. You have to manually tell it to toggle vert or horiz tile mode or you just get really narrow unusable rows or columns. I don't really want to have to think about that when working.

But I suppose with Wayland, that will be the only option for a long time. A bit painful to see quite frankly. However I suppose there are some guys who actively chose i3 from all the others on X11 so those few are probably fine. I am not sure if you were among them?

Previously i was an xfce4 and lxqt user. With qt5ct and lxqt you have nice windows.
Now, what i do i start sway , i press mod-w once for tabbed layout, and that's it. All windows have some layout.
I have not figured out to have a bar with tabs to the left of the screen instead of the default top of the screen.

Now, what i do i start sway , i press mod-w once for tabbed layout, and that's it. All windows have some layout.
Hopefully you like the tabs because you can't hide them. My 1024x768 laptop can't spare this kind of gluttony ;)

You can go into classic tiles but they don't provide a master / side area so you just end up with those unusably narrow sections.

You can fullscreen one window but then you can't interact or toggle between others until you specifically "unfullscreen" the previous (it also hides Chrome's address bar and other weirdness).

Obviously i3 and sway are liked by some guys. I just find them strange. They offer all the "modes" of a tiling WM but I personally find that all of them are slightly lacking in one way or another for my workflow. I just find there are more effective tiling WMs (for X11 of course. There are practically none for Wayland which must be scary. All eggs in one basket and all ;))

(Anyways, apologies, I don't want to derail the thread talking about limitations of i3 and clones).

I practice you only look at only Window at a time unless you are at mission control for rocket launching.
At this one window can always be maximized.
Sometimes, but not often you like to look at two windows for a diff or something, but therefore I have two screens.
For coding & executing you can also have two windows.
But two is a small number :)

I think that having concrete examples of other DE's successfully running Wayland will help Wayland gain some steam on FreeBSD. I personally plan to stick to Plasma Wayland, and get it to upgrade properly (still a goal for me).

Shiroid, I tried your river config but it ends for me with :
Code:
info: initializing server
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:78] Could not connect to socket /var/run/seatd.sock: No such file or directory
info(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:74] Backend 'seatd' failed to open seat, skipping
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/backend/consolekit2.c:530] Could not get session: Unable to lookup session information for process '48839'
info(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:74] Backend 'consolekit2' failed to open seat, skipping
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:588] Built-in seatd instance requires root privileges
info(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:74] Backend 'builtin' failed to open seat, skipping
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:77] No backend was able to open a seat
error(wlroots): [backend/session/session.c:84] Unable to create seat: Function not implemented
error(wlroots): [backend/session/session.c:218] Failed to load session backend
error(wlroots): [backend/backend.c:353] Failed to start a DRM session
error: BackendCreateFailed
Does it has something to do with vulkan i don't know ?
This is also strange : "Built-in seatd instance requires root privileges"

Shiroid, I tried your river config but it ends for me with :
Code:
info: initializing server
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:78] Could not connect to socket /var/run/seatd.sock: No such file or directory
info(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:74] Backend 'seatd' failed to open seat, skipping
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/backend/consolekit2.c:530] Could not get session: Unable to lookup session information for process '48839'
info(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:74] Backend 'consolekit2' failed to open seat, skipping
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/backend/seatd.c:588] Built-in seatd instance requires root privileges
info(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:74] Backend 'builtin' failed to open seat, skipping
error(wlroots): [libseat] [libseat/libseat.c:77] No backend was able to open a seat
error(wlroots): [backend/session/session.c:84] Unable to create seat: Function not implemented
error(wlroots): [backend/session/session.c:218] Failed to load session backend
error(wlroots): [backend/backend.c:353] Failed to start a DRM session
error: BackendCreateFailed
Does it has something to do with vulkan i don't know ?
This is also strange : "Built-in seatd instance requires root privileges"
Do you have the seatd service running?

After "service seatd onestart" , river starts good.
Seatd is kind of the `de facto' seat management service. It's simple and won't mess with your environment like ConsoleKit2 does (not a bad thing tho, it's very useful for servers like PulseAudio, which I don't use).
If you want a functional Wayland session, you'll need seatd and dbus running.

Seatd is kind of the `de facto' seat management service. It's simple and won't mess with your environment like ConsoleKit2 does (not a bad thing tho, it's very useful for servers like PulseAudio, which I don't use).
If you want a functional Wayland session, you'll need seatd and dbus running.
Hmmm? I have an older (From June) Plasma Wayland session running (Plasma 5.21.5, KF5 5.82.0), and I just checked - I don't have a seatd service running... Did seatd somehow become important to having a functional Wayland session since June? For Wayland to gain any steam and traction, I'd think it should be possible to at least replicate somebody else's setup and have it work consistently.

For Wayland to gain any steam and traction, I'd think it should be possible to at least replicate somebody else's setup and have it work consistently.
Unfortunately I feel that currently Wayland is very much in Linux territory which means that consistency is not going to happen for a long time (if ever).

What is the lightest Wayland compositor you can find? They are still fairly massive but perhaps by really simplifying, it will give you a fighting chance at deterministic behavior for a few months.

Combining the compositor and window manager is the most idiotic thing you can do. Even in macOS, Quartz and Finder are separate entities. Wayland won’t go anywhere.

Id like to see a modern X11 implementation with X.org compatibility. The network isn’t going anywhere, so X11 is still a good protocol to utilize.

Most people don't use wayland, and if they do most use KDE.
I used Wayland in Ubuntu (where it's the default), looks make no difference from the old thing.

I used Wayland in Ubuntu (where it's the default), looks make no difference from the old thing.
Which desktop has Wayland in Ubuntu? I have MATE desktop installed on Ubuntu 20.04:
Code:
root@ubuntu20:~# uname -a
Linux ubuntu20 5.11.0-27-generic #29~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 11 15:58:17 UTC 2021 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
root@ubuntu20:~# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS
Release:    20.04
Codename:    focal
root@ubuntu20:~# top -n 1 | grep -i wayland
root@ubuntu20:~# top -n 1 | grep -i xorg
   1211 root      20   0 1203380 113864  77744 S   6.2   1.6   0:07.04 Xorg

Edited to add: Answered my own question:

"Ubuntu ships Wayland as default in Ubuntu 17.10 (Artful Aardvark).[80] Ubuntu reverted to X.Org for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, as Wayland still has issues with screen sharing and remote desktop applications, and does not recover as well from window manager crashes.[81][82] Ubuntu ships Wayland by default in 21.04.[83]"

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_(display_server_protocol)#Desktop_Linux_distributions

Back