want to leave xp...

well...i decided to keep xp and rezise the partition to make space for BSD!

fdisk -l:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 82.3 GB, 82348277760 bytes                              
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 10011 cylinders, total 160836480 sectors  
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes                                 
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                  
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                      
Disk identifier: 0xa8a8a8a8                                            

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System         
/dev/sda1   *          63    81915434    40957686    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
/dev/sda2        81915904    82964479      524288   82  Linux swap / Solaris                                                                  
/dev/sda3        82964480   160835583    38935552   83  Linux

do i have to install or not BSDbootmanager? i'd prefer grub-don't want to lose it-...

Since FreeBSD != Linux, you can't install FreeBSD on a Linux partition. Kind of like installing Windows on ext4.
And if you want to keep your Windows installation, you needn't use GRUB. Just install EasyBCD and add FreeBSD to Windows Boot Manager, or install boot0 to MBR during FreeBSD installation (BootMgr option after making slices).

dude...you don't follow...I want to install BSD on window's partition previously resized!

d_mon said:
i want to installl BSD on window's partition previously resized!
FreeBSD requires a FreeBSD partition, you can't install it on a Windows partition (not if you wish to keep Windows, anyway). Perhaps you meant you have created some empty space that can be turned into a FreeBSD partition?

Fonz

P.S. Dude, please mind your writing style. See this sticky thread.

@d_mon - you might get better responses if you would quit talking like this is a Windows forum. Most of everyone here are professionals who use FreeBSD in their work and fractured English, calling people 'homies' and all that won't sit well. You are expected to do your homework and sit up straight. If you're going to act like a kid you'll get treated like one. It's not that we don't have a sense of humor but sloppiness and laziness is not tolerated.

it is possible to change on 'options editor' release name 8.0-RELEASE for 9.0-BETA1 or some not too old? unetbootin offers me that,seems a little outdated v8.0...

d_mon said:
it is possible to change on 'options editor' release name 8.0-RELEASE for 9.0-BETA1 or some not too old?
Sure. You can even change it to 10.9-PARACHUTE if that makes you happy.

d_mon said:
seems a little outdated v8.0...
It's not the most recent, but I wouldn't go as far as calling 8.0-RELEASE "outdated".

Fonz

Don't expect the installer to install a new release correctly just by changing the name. If that was all it took, there'd be no reason to make new ISOs for new releases.

what about 'any' instead of other 'version'? really need info! i'm going to try to install today...

Download an ISO for the version you want to install. There's a snapshots directory with recent versions of FreeBSD-9, if desired. If download size is a concern, get the bootonly version. It's smaller because it downloads needed data from the net during the install.

well impossible to install:

Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'! Are you sure that your name server,gateway and network interfece are correctly configured?

Cannot resolve hostname 'ftp.freebsd.org'! Are you sure that your name server,gateway and network interfece are correctly configured?
Maybe you should check whether your server, gateway and network interface are properly configured? Sorry couldn't stand it.
You should have a rescue terminal accessible by hitting ALT + F4 (maybe another F-key). ifconfig will tell you your network interface settings, cat /etc/resolv.conf should contain your name server, and netstat -r -n lists your routing table.

d_mon said:
ain't got time(like most people) 4 read long 'manuals''handbooks''whatever'...
Do you notice that during the time you have probably been spending on this threat already, you could have completely read the handbook several times... ?

d_mon said:

When it asks to use DHCP to configure the interface, say yes. Unless you don't have a working DHCP server, in which case give it a manual IP and a default route.

any other 'idea'? got usb hp 2gb(btw with freeBSD 9.0 image) but no boot! it is necesary boot partition on the usb? how's possible can't install by USB?

Did you install the memstick image to the USB stick as shown in the Handbook? The link is in message #20. Other than that, is your computer set to boot from USB?

yep i did from arch:
Code:
# dd if=FreeBSD-9.0-BETA1-i386-memstick.img of=/dev/sdb1-[color="Red"]or similar,don't remember now[/color]- bs=64k

yes is set to boot from USB!

d_mon said:
Code:
# dd if=FreeBSD-9.0-BETA1-i386-memstick.img of=/dev/sdb[color=green][b]1[/b][/color]-[color="Red"]or similar,don't remember now[/color]- bs=64k
Drop the number (green).

Fonz

UNIXgod said:
er what does root login have to do with kde? sounds like you have a configuration issue. Have you read the documentation?

Issue is due to him using KDM to login, which blocks root login by the default setup. It can be changed in the KDM config file (iirc kdmrc.conf somewhere in the kde installation path), though the better solution would be to login with your default user rather then root.

Back