VPS friends of FreeBSD?

Thanks for mentioning Tilaa.nl and Liteserver.nl. I haven't heard of them yet, but both look intriguing and officially supporting FreeBSD and OpenBSD is a great selling point - although the fact that they still offer 11.3-RELEASE or 12.1-RELEASE makes me question their dedication to FreeBSD. To run the current 12.3-RELEASE you'd have to upgrade from 12.1, so you can also just start with a fresh installation (which might be faster anyways...).

Liteserver.nl doesn't seem to offer FreeBSD during instance creation, so it's yet another VPS you have to come up with your own setup routine (but 5EUR for 2 cores/2GB is still a great deal).

Liteserver.nl doesn't seem to offer FreeBSD during instance creation, so it's yet another VPS you have to come up with your own setup routine (but 5EUR for 2 cores/2GB is still a great deal).
No, you do not need setup your routine. They already have a few FreeBSD images you can choose from. I needed to remind them to get FreeBSD rolling though. I wonder why they still don't make it easy without their intervention. I noticed they have few hands if not one or two people behind it all.

So they at least provide you with an image, that's a start. I was originally only referring to the selection at instance creation (i.e. pre-installed/configured images), where they sadly only offer various linuxes...

But I'll definitely keep them on my watchlist for when I need a/some new VPS.

Maybe some others will also have received the info on pricing updates at digitalocean:

For the basic VPS plans this will be a 20% price increase. So yeah, now they are making the decision to migrate away pretty easy...

For the basic VPS plans this will be a 20% price increase. So yeah, now they are making the decision to migrate away pretty easy...
If you look at OP's original post, DigitalOcean appears to drop FreeBSD entirely, so I doubt that FreeBSD folks currently/previously using DigitalOcean are migrating away because of the price increase ;)

I know; I was following this thread from the beginning ;)

But apart from them dropping ('native') support for FreeBSD via pre-configured templates, the price increase they just announced might be the final straw for some more people to drop them entirely for VPS. (At least for me - 6$ for 1core/1GB at DO vs 5.55EUR for 4core/4GB at netcup is an absolute no-brainer)

Oh no, it's a dollar increase! 🤪
its a 20% increase throughout all VPS types.
So yes, for the smallest it's 1$ - but it ramps up to pretty hefty numbers for the bigger VPS and/or if you run multiple mid-range VPS.
And it's also the overwhelmingly positive wording of the announcement that seems like a slap in the face when actually announcing such a big price increase. "Hey, we're making everything better! We won't give you more ressources, but we'll charge you 20% more for exactly the same service! This is so great for everyone!"

overwhelmingly positive wording of the announcement
You mean the part where they said they basically have eaten all of the marginal cost increases (power, inflation, etc) they've encountered for the past decade and finally they can't do it anymore? Seemed reasonable.

If cheap was the only metric, I would have done Linode. Don't really like any of the other options people are throwing out here due to location, sparse features, or a general feeling of "this company doesn't seem like a long term investment", so as long as you can spin up a custom Droplet with FreeBSD on it, I'm ok with all of this.

Don't really like any of the other options people are throwing out here due to location, sparse features, or a general feeling of "this company doesn't seem like a long term investment"...
How does any of this apply to Vultr? They have datacenters all over the world, and are headquartered in West Palm Beach, AFAICT.

If you're running a lot of VPSes it might be cheaper to rent a server, install FreeBSD and use jails or VM (Xen,bhyve etc). I'm very happy with Hetzner myself.
And no KVM bug is ever going to impact your "VPS".

I opted for Vultr... Still trying to make SSH working though... I am pretty sure is because PF is not set properly by default. 🤔

DigitalOcean​

… a source for this? …

Phasing out creation of FreeBSD droplets​

Via Reddit:
– the relevant section:

DigitalOcean Droplets (IaaS)​

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS now available

Ubuntu 22.04 LTS (ubuntu-22-04-x64) base image is now available in the control panel and via the API.

FreeBSD Droplets are being deprecated 1st of July 2022

To focus on our most used distributions we’re ending support for new FreeBSD Droplets. You will no longer be able to create new FreeBSD-based Droplets through the cloud control panel on the 1st of June 2022.

FreeBSD Droplets created from the 3rd of May to the 1st of July 2022 will continue to work despite these changes. Only legacy FreeBSD Droplets will remain on the platform.

You can create Droplets using FreeBSD after the 1st of July using DigitalOcean’s custom images feature to import a virtual disk image of FreeBSD OS.

DigitalOcean supports custom images, and creation of droplets from custom images, and directs readers to:

A collection of prebuilt BSD cloud images – bsd-cloud-image.org

1653200360175.png

Found by Google:
Whilst I have no direct experience, I am aware that this (not specific to FreeBSD) is a problem for some potential users:

… IPv6 can’t be used since it’s not supported on custom images. …

Do people also judge the worth of FreeBSD Forums – in its entirety – based upon two bullet points alone?
No but people judge the value of reddit based on decades of topics and commentary for all to read and news commentary such as National Public Radio's reporter saying "(Reddit) is a Frankenstein's monster even they can't control." I'll never forget hearing that a couple of years ago. Reddit is a ship for fools and there are far better places to learn and ask questions than there.

my pet peeve is people asking the same question on both the forum and reddit at the same time.

I don't mind that, although when it's done without cross-referencing there's some duplication of effort.

Less duplication when the two communities can be more easily aware of each other's answers.

… the me me me crowd who need instant answers. Not patient enough for the mailing lists.

Overwhelmingly: the main reason for my lack of engagement with the e-mail lists is their non-suitability. Even with a good client such as Thunderbird, it's not a smooth experience.

The web interface …

The absence of threading i.e. nesting within topics causes bickering to be seen by everyone who views the topic. It's a recipe for trouble, especially in a community where some people seem to take the greatest pleasure in bickering and/or negativity. (I don't see you in the eight-page topic that was removed today.)

Less of a problem in Reddit, where threading with nesting is the norm.

For XenForo, an add-on:

– and discussion of the add-on:

– and so on.

Reddit​

I like the lack of control on reddit. … only moderated during the great COC brew-ha-ha.
Just like a good democracy. Bust some skulls once in a while to remind everyone who is in control.

the eight-page topic that was removed today

I wrote, before removal (of the entire topic):

Self-moderation seems to be better – at the group level, and at individual levels – in /r/freebsd. …

Self-moderation = less busting of skulls. That, plus the threading, which allows things to fizzle out naturally. And so on. An easy life for the moderator.

Back on-topic​

They (TransIP) discriminate. I remember using them for a short time, and they were eager to chase away a customer for no good reason.

Please, can you describe the discrimination? Or their supposed reasoning?

(Send me a private message, if it's not something that should be public.)

Thanks

Me: Record shows that you have changed my credit card account without my
authorization. .......
TransIP: As we detected that this was an unauthorised charge, the money has already been refunded....

Before that, they would not change a set of IP addresses for me. Their IP addresses were already blacklisted. Of course, they would fail for email services.

Apologies for the typos here and there; I recently noticed one in another of my posts in some threads.

W.r.t. the matter, it gets deeper. The above may not warrant the allegation that they discriminate. But it may be wise to let the matter rest. Most people would infer it was the case if the details are out.

I have provided sensitive information that can be used to identify me. Yet, I can authoritatively say I did not use let alone enjoy their service. They offer plethora of packages though. It never worked yet I was paying; then unknowingly being charged.

Before inhouse hosting, I had a fabulous time with HostEurope Gmbh for over five years. They offered email services with OpenExchange (I hope it still exists). And their shared web hosting was good; I cannot remember using it for long. I reckon Tilaa was next for their dedicated servers. Another excellent service for over five years. Customer care is paramount.

Back