VPS friends of FreeBSD?

Dear Friends,

DigitalOcean is going to drop support for FreeBSD to...

empower our customers by providing them with simple, reliable cloud infrastructure

And I am not interested in supporting them anymore.

I am looking for others providers that have a reliable history in supporting FreeBSD, please any suggestion and advice is very welcomed!

Thanks!

D.

Dear Friends,

And I am not interested in supporting them anymore.

I am looking for others providers that have a reliable history in supporting FreeBSD, please any suggestion and advice is very welcomed!

Thanks!

D.
Do you have a source for this? I will be closing my account today if this is correct. I'd been meaning to give Vultr a try anyway,

Do you have a source for this?

Looks like no FreeBSD 13 images.

Still you could say the same with Linode.
They have no official support but there is a page showing you how to install.

my.frantech.ca if you want cheap storage too (mostly sold out, prepare your scripts to order :))
arubacloud.it

Yeah, and no 12.3 images. I've opened a trouble ticket. Let's see what they say, if anything.

That post looked too elaborate to be a prank.

Hows that saying go; If you have to call tech support than FreeBSD might not be the right choice for you.
I am tech support.

Lirsh is nothing more than repackaged Virsh.
Linodes whole deck of card rides on libvirtd. (My guess as Lirsh commands are just like Virsh).

Yes, I am tech support. I need official confirmation that DO is no longer supporting Freebsd before I pull the trigger on an account cancellation. The reason I picked them originally was because they support Freebsd and had great community tutorials on the subject.

Dear Friends,

Yeah, I read that today. I didn't understand it fully - but their webpage says that up to december, they had offered you to buy a licence from them that would give you the permission to use FreeBSD.

Thats to the gods, back in 1995 when I started to use FreeBSD, they weren't there yet to give or not give me the permission. Computers didn't require driver's licences back then.

I haven't received anything in that regard yet from digitalocean despite running several FreeBSD droplets... (and exclusively running FreeBSD droplets for several years now)

As stated in that reddit post, you can still run FreeBSD on those droplets just as before they officially supported it with their own (sometimes badly cluttered) images. Just slap a mfsBSD image on the disk, reboot and install. Same procedure as with any other VPS or bare-metal server where no BSD images are offered by the hoster.

OTOH - I already migrated some of my DO droplets to instances at netcup.eu about 6 months ago. Only had contact with their support for account verification, so can't really say anything about that part yet; but the instances are working fine and networking is fast.

For bare metal servers I've been a very happy customer of manitu.de for at least 10 years now and to everyone located in germany I can highly recommend them. They have exceptionally fast, friendly and competent support and even if they don't offer FreeBSD (or any BSD) images or rescue systems, they are always helpful and some of the support staff are also quite familiar with BSD and offer some ("inofficial") help. At my last inquiry about officially supporting FreeBSD they told me they'd like to do that, but they feel they don't have enough (Free)BSD competence throughout all of the support staff to meet their self-proclaimed standards of support quality. I highly appreciate that attitude and prefer to work with such people than just being told "we don't support that, go away". They never just raised their hands and said "you're on your own" like I've seen with other hosters if you tell them you run an unsupported OS, even if the problem is completely unrelated - e.g. a disk failure. (been there with hosteurope once - the host was down almost 10 days until they finally replaced the defective disk. The last disk failure at manitu was resolved in less than 15 minutes after I created the ticket)

So if this is true and they completely drop their FreeBSD support, I'm already set to leave them for good. Or I might revive and update my old mfsBSD/bsdinstall/'cloudinit-and-pull-from-git' toolchain, which back then I intended to make public at some point, but then they started to provide halfway decent images...

Yeah, I read that today. I didn't understand it fully - but their webpage says that up to december, they had offered you to buy a licence from them that would give you the permission to use FreeBSD.
what kind of license should that be that "gives permission to run FreeBSD"? FreeBSD is released under the BSD license - you can run it anywhere you want...

what kind of license should that be that "gives permission to run FreeBSD"? FreeBSD is released under the BSD license - you can run it anywhere you want...

Yeah, that's exactly the point, why should anybody bother?
But nowadays people do: they are greatly worried that they might loose their means of throwing away abundant money; so indeed I wouldn't be much surprized of them worrying when they are no longer able to pay for being allowed to use FreeBSD. It's Kali Yuga.

But, as this matter appears to be about hosting systems, indeed I was also in doubt if these "virtual" servers cound be used to run FreeBSD. So I decided to rent a physial machine instead, where to hosting company supports FreeBSD (only Rel. 11.2 - but then, even today they support Rel. 11.2, while nobody else does any longer).

Acutally there is no issue with the "virtual" nodes: FreeBSD can boot on them, and Linux, which is commonly supported, has a sshd command, has a dd command, and can access the raw disk device.

I don't use reddit as a trusted resource. just for stuff like this...
Well, that "stuff" is a BS list. Klara doesn't host anything including offering VPS services but it's on there. And how redditors less than zero will switch to IBM Cloud for their needs?
Meh. I don't want to talk about it anymore. Reddit is always a waste of time.

Not sure where you're seeing this. I've never paid for Freebsd on Digitalocean.
...I saw this topic on reddit: link. someone has introduced these sites...
Reddit proves its worth again. Klara Systems does not offer VPS hosting at all, AFAICT. I tried Nqhost once. Netactuate bought Rootbsd, and I'm very happy with their support. Unfortunately, I cannot find any self-service way of spinning up a VPS. All you get is a "contact us" form and presumably for-you pricing.

The thing that attracts me to Vultr is their clean and well-documented API for spinning up VPSes. I want mine to be scriptable and stateless so I can spin up a new one in minutes.

Netactuate bought Rootbsd, and I'm very happy with their support. Unfortunately, I cannot find any self-service way of spinning up a VPS.
I set a FreeBSD VPS up with them late last year - FreeBSD was an option (but something pretty old like 12.0-RELEASE). But obviously things may have changed this year!

It's official:
Hello Jose,

Thank you for contacting DigitalOcean. I understand that you are concerned about the FreeBSD. I will be glad to help you.

We discontinued FreeBSD as a distribution image and removed it from UI on April 1.

Starting July 1, 2022, FreeBSD will no longer be offered as a distribution OS on our platform. Beginning June 1, 2022, customers will no longer be able to use FreeBSD-based as a distribution OS through the Cloud control panel, but customers will still be able to create FreeBSD-based Droplets through the API until July 1, 2022.

Pre-existing FreeBSD-based Droplets will not be affected and will continue to run without issue. You will not be able to rebuild these Droplets from the FreeBSD distribution OS after July 1, however, so we recommend that you create Snapshots of your FreeBSD Droplets (or spin up a fresh FreeBSD Droplet and create a Snapshot of this) so that you have a clean/working FreeBSD image handy for emergency recovery.
?

If you wish to continue creating FreeBSD-based Droplets after July 1, we recommend downloading a cloud-ready image from the below URL and uploading it to your account as a Custom Image:
?

?

You can learn more about Custom Images from our product documentation at the below URL:
?

Please note that IPv6 is not currently supported for Droplets created from Custom Images.

Let us know if you have any additional questions. Happy to help!

I left Digital Ocean some years ago because they would not allow my email servers to use IPv6.

Instead I have a tiny FreeBSD VPS on Vultr in New Jersey as a secondary mail server when they were providing a free IPv4 address as well as IPv6 blocks ($2.50+10% Australian GST / month). Never had a problem with it or email to/from it.

I also have a beefier FreeBSD VPS with Binary Lane (based in Australia). Again, never had a problem.

Back