VirtualBox

sossego said:
The port status is non-existent.

Well, not really. After I posted here, I found a thread that is calling for testing on -emulation. It is an active thread.

I'm getting my kernel and VBox sources in sync. More later.

DrJ, it is non-existent.
You can always have it officially added.

I saw the other links.
It doesn't work on amd64 yet.
Et cetera, et al.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=virtualbox&stype=all

Proof above that I am right.

alie,

you need to install it from within a folder, then create an folder to link to for root, then run it according to basic qemu options.

If you want to test it out on a virtual machine. Yes, a build upon a build then try qemu without kqemu.
Type 'echo 1024 > /proc/sys/dev/rtc/max-user-freq' as root.

Build and run the freebsd image. Load aio without kqemu or use -no-kqemu.

Build your vm with a root partition of 4G to ensure the build of a functional vm within the vm.

Copy the patches and build to another image on the vm.
Since it is qemu based, you should be able to change the vm image to an ISO image. You should be able to burn the image and mount it later.

Want optional help? Ask one of the freebsd hackers.

Please read my post again. I said that there is a discussion about VBox on the -emulation list. There you will find a call for testing the VirtualBox port. There is a link provided on that list for the port.

No, it is not in the ports tree yet, but there *is* a port. Not in its final form, but it does exist.

FWIW, I've built the port mentioned here:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2009-May/006026.html

(Seems they also got an updated version now)

using ports-mgmt/tinderbox on a 7.2-RELEASE.

Installed the packages on a 7.2-RELEASE machine. Few things to note:

- It failed to install the kernel module into /boot/modules. I copied it manually (it was present in the package tarball but would not get copied, maybe a problem with the install script?)
- Need to mount /proc per instructions
- The kernel module may cause a panic if kldunload'ed

Other than that it works fine. I've got a complete set of packages (208 including all dependencies) and can upload them if anyone wishes to try.

Here is a screenshot of it running XP:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sonic2000gr/3545490246/sizes/l/

I have the kernel module located in the right place; maybe that was fixed in version 2 (which I installed).

I still have issues with the kernel module causing a hard lock when it is loaded. It is really odd: if I load it right after VBox is installed, then it loads fine, and VBox is stable. If there was a reboot inbetween, then it has locked on me 7 out of 8 tries. Just odd.

Were you able to load the Guest Additions? I am limited to 800x600, 16 bit resolution. That is a very severe limitation.

i have strange issue with virtualbox:
It complites and runs, but when i start any virtual machine virtualbox freezes at:
"Starting virtual machine" 0%
and eats all my cpu
System is FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #45 r192392
VirtualBox revisions: from first FreeBSD to latest virtualbox-2.2.2r19801

i've asked this question at #vbox-dev but there are not so many freebsd users =(

There have been some issues with AMD64 that the devs are trying to straighten out. There was a new VBox version posted on -emulation (there is a link on the thread); it is up to version 3 if you count the call for testing as version 1.

Have you tried that one?

DrJ said:
Were you able to load the Guest Additions? I am limited to 800x600, 16 bit resolution. That is a very severe limitation.

Yes. The guest additions are not included in the package and fail to download if you select them from the menu. But you can download them manually from here:

http://dlc.sun.com/virtualbox/2.2.2/VBoxGuestAdditions_2.2.2.iso

Just rename the file To VBoxGuestAdditions.iso and move it to /usr/local/lib/virtualbox so the GUI can find it.

They work fine on XP (the only guest I tried for the time being)

Virtualbox won't load on my AMD64...

I've an updated ports and source tree. I've rebuild world and
kernel (generic) to make sure any 32 bit libraries are on my
system. Compile of VirtualBox was successful. Enabled proc
in /etc/fstab and created the vboxusers group. Did a reboot.

Loaded the vboxdrv module.

Code:
$ kldstat | grep vbox
 8    1 0xffffffff80e6b000 1e86e    vboxdrv.ko
$

Opened a terminal in Gnome executed the command "VirtualBox" but
nothing happens. No errors.

Is there anything I am missing?

It is in an odd location (/usr/local/lib, IIRC; I'm not on my BSD box). You may not have it in your path. I'd grep for the program file, and execute it with the full path.

I've only been able to get it to run as root. Given the other issues I have, I've not explored why a regular user didn't work.

FBSDin20Steps said:
When I run virtualbox as root sudo truss VirtualBox I get the registration form but when I run it as user. It quits on me.

Odd but when I run just # VirtualBox it just stalls and does nothing, but with # truss VirtualBox it runs without any problems (just installed Fedora 11).

The port needs polishing but I think it will be working soon..Many thanks to developers who work on this.

Same problem here (amd64). Just running
Code:
# VirtualBox
doesn't work, but with
Code:
 # sudo truss VirtualBox
it works :D Thanks for the idea, I would never think of it :)

I've got a strange trouble with virtualbox-2.2.51.r20457_2 on 7.2-RELEASE
Enabling additional controllers in 'Hard Disks' settings gives me errors like this one:

Code:
!!Assertion Failed!!
Expression: pDev
Location  : /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox/work/virtualbox-2.2.51r20457/src/VBox/VMM/PDMDevice.cpp(195) int pdmR3DevInit(VM*)
Configuration error: device 'ahci' not found!

...and vm falls into 'Aborted' state.

It seems that there's no support for virtual ahci and scsi devises and I can add no more than 3 virtual hard drives for each virtual machine. Any hints on that?

copypaiste said:
It seems that there's no support for virtual ahci and scsi devises and I can add no more than 3 virtual hard drives for each virtual machine. Any hints on that?
Correct, because the port is based on the Open Source Edition (OSE), which doesn't support SATA-controller.

Because of the last sentence in the mentioned page:
Also, this allows you to connect more than three virtual hard disks to the machine.
I assume it's the same issue for SCSI-controllers, as this would allow you to use more disks.

Hopefully SUN will release soon a FreeBSD binary version.

mousaka

but really, 3 drives on a virtual machine? omg, wtf?

copypaiste said:
Doh...

Thanks for your answer, mousaka!
So, no workarounds available for this limitation yet?
Of the top of my head, and without testing it, judicious use of mdconfig(8) & nfs on the host machine. (I mean, I've done it in the days of yore with qemu, fwiw and ymmv, and all that.)

mousaka said:
Hopefully SUN will release soon a FreeBSD binary version.

mousaka
At this point is it even possible to compile the open source version under AMD64? I've been trying and the dependencies never seem to work out the way that they should.

Back