VirtualBox

It's more or less the kernel driver that's problematic because it hasn't been ported. I know that the program itself compiles and runs to a degree.

well,

as for running vb on top of a 7-stable amd64 and then running some linux for amd64 as guests, is it possible ?

I want to run Folding@Home on amd64 linux, but I'd like to have my desktop on FreeBSD AMD64 :)

thanks,

none

none said:
well,

as for running vb on top of a 7-stable amd64 and then running some linux for amd64 as guests, is it possible ?

I want to run Folding@Home on amd64 linux, but I'd like to have my desktop on FreeBSD AMD64 :)

thanks,

none
h

+1

Same exact goal here!

hrsetrdr said:
h

+1

Same exact goal here!

forget virtualbox for this, I tried some patches for linuxlator64 and I really think is the way to go. not functional right now though. if I had to bet, I'd go linuxlator64.

none

If I knew about this, I never would have attempted the howto thread. 7.0 with ULE here.

My understanding has been that VB compiles on FreeBSD (after some diddles) but that the kernel portion is still missing. I've not seen anything to change that opinion, but I would *love* to learn otherwise. The interface just is not that interesting without being able actually to run a VM.

DrJ said:
My understanding has been that VB compiles on FreeBSD (after some diddles) but that the kernel portion is still missing. I've not seen anything to change that opinion, but I would *love* to learn otherwise. The interface just is not that interesting without being able actually to run a VM.

Yeah, true virtualziation is propably the only thing that I miss on FreeBSD.

When I installed FreeBSD I remember seeing opensolaris.ko
Is this opensolaris kernel?
Two Sun products that don't work together?
On the other hand, take FreeBSD, the only major difference is the kernel, so porting VirtualBox to FreeBSD should be a picnic compared to Mac OS X.
Which means they haven't yet.

They had on the VB download page FreeBSD in the works last year. Now I see OpenSolaris and no FreeBSD to come so I assumed it had arived.

knotabot said:
When I installed FreeBSD I remember seeing opensolaris.ko
No you didn't.
Is this opensolaris kernel?
Two Sun products that don't work together?

FreeBSD is *not* a Sun product. Yes, the early SunOS was BSD, but thereafter Solaris became a SysVR4 product. So FreeBSD and Solaris share a common ancestor, but have diverged significantly.

There is only a partial version for x86 while amd64 remains a platform to be ported to on FreeBSD.
You can't build any version later than 2.0.0 because they need kBuild>1.4.x and that is the only patched version for FreeBSD.
Sun could use some help and could try openly asking the BSD community on forums, blogs,and other resources again
instead of waiting for volunteers. The kBuild above was patched not because they asked but because one BSD member asked another BSD member about the problem.
Like KVM, kqemu, and Xen, it is still a front end to qemu. I wish it did have full qemu functionality built in, that would be nice.
Another problem is that it requires 32bit libraries to work. Don't believe me? Try installing it on any 64bit Windows or Linux box without ia32libs/32bit libs.
It hasn't been completely ported to Windows- you need mingw to build, qt3/4 libs, alsa, pulse, etc. None of these are available as exe files AFAIK.
Better put VirtualBox in the catagory with Xen, KVM, and VirtualIron- a work to port FreeBSD to in the future.
If you think about it, the only "true" virtualization software that allows you to directly use hardware are live images. You can even execute binaries from the host system by simply mounting in most cases.

I'm not a kernel hacker so you're more than welcome to join me in trying to port.

Back