VirtualBox

hedwards said:
At this point is it even possible to compile the open source version under AMD64?
For me it works fine under 7.2-STABLE amd64.:)

I'm limited to 32bit guest tough as my CPU doesn't support Intel VT or AMD-V:(

I've been trying and the dependencies never seem to work out the way that they should.
My crystal ball is sadly out of order. ;)

mousaka

To all users who cannot get VB running, with # Virtualbox and nothing happens:
Open another terminal, type # pgrep VirtualBox and if there are two PIDs returned, kill one. Usually killing the process with the higher PID works. After that, the other VB process runs correctly.

mousaka said:
For me it works fine under 7.2-STABLE amd64.:)

I'm limited to 32bit guest tough as my CPU doesn't support Intel VT or AMD-V:(
I'll give it another try, perhaps kbuild and the other dependencies have been fixed.

I have however noticed that it seems to run pretty well under Windows, definitely without the speed issues I'm used to.

Hmm, apparently there's now an AMD64 PBI available, so I'll put off trying to get it to work in FreeBSD for the time being.

It seems to work pretty well, except for it being sluggish and that I need to manually load the module when I boot up.

vbox on remote host

Anyone have vbox running on remote host without X running? Is there a doc or something for this?

Thanks!

Hi, I'm using VirtualBox on 8.0-amd64. It's working great. I'm trying to build a test environment for doing automated installs. I've setup two VMs, one with two interfaces to be the install server and the other to be the test installed machine.

On the install server, the first interface is on the normal LAN via bridged mode. The second interface is using the "Internal network" setting.

On the test install machine, it's just on the "Internal network". I've done a manual install in it, and it's working fine and can talk to the install server via the internal network interface.

Yet, when I boot this VM and select the LAN boot option, it immediately fails. tcpdump inside the install server (the other machine on the internal network) shows no packets coming from the test VM. So it seems that although VirtualBox claims to support LAN boot, it can't really do it. Anyone else tried this or have any experience with it?

Thanks for any help.

Update: Using one of the non-Intel NICs gets me further. It DHCPs, tftp downloads the pxeboot file, but then VirtualBox crashes. Perhaps the newer version of VirtualBox would work better?

I've been trying to compile VB for some months (7-Stable amd64) but always get errors when the build process is applying patches. Today's attempt:

Code:
===>  Found saved configuration for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
===>  Extracting for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
=> MD5 Checksum OK for virtualbox-3.0.51r22902.tar.bz2.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for virtualbox-3.0.51r22902.tar.bz2.
===>  Patching for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
2 out of 3 hunks failed--saving rejects to src/VBox/Runtime/r0drv/freebsd/alloc-r0drv-freebsd.c.rej
=> Patch patch-amd64-r0-exec-alloc failed to apply cleanly.
=> Patch(es) patch-Config.kmk applied cleanly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/virtualbox.
*** Error code 1

What am I missing?

Same result -- 32bit on 7.2

trev said:
I've been trying to compile VB for some months (7-Stable amd64) but always get errors when the build process is applying patches. Today's attempt:

Code:
===>  Found saved configuration for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
===>  Extracting for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
=> MD5 Checksum OK for virtualbox-3.0.51r22902.tar.bz2.
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for virtualbox-3.0.51r22902.tar.bz2.
===>  Patching for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_2
2 out of 3 hunks failed--saving rejects to src/VBox/Runtime/r0drv/freebsd/alloc-r0drv-freebsd.c.rej
=> Patch patch-amd64-r0-exec-alloc failed to apply cleanly.
=> Patch(es) patch-Config.kmk applied cleanly.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

What am I missing?

Received the same error on 7.2 32 bit os

hitchup said:
Received the same error on 7.2 32 bit os

Cool. It's not just me, and it's not just amd64 which was what I was beginning to suspect. Strike that thought, which leaves us back at the beginning...

vermaden said:
@hitchup / @trev
Have You been trying to update Ports tree?

Yes - it is updated every night.

If that does not help, I would submit a BUG: http://freebsd.org/send-pr.html

I would have done that except that noone else (apart from hitchup above) seems to have ever had the problem. As I mentioned, I've had the issue for months.

[LATER]

Success!

Code:
===>   Installing ldconfig configuration file
===>   Registering installation for virtualbox-3.0.51.r22902_3

The trick was to delete the virtualbox directory from /usr/ports and then re-run csup to re-fetch it. "make clean" was obviously not enough.

trev said:
The trick was to delete the virtualbox directory from /usr/ports and then re-run csup to re-fetch it. "make clean" was obviously not enough.
Interesting ... good to know You have found a sollution ;)

make clean only cleans out working files from compilation. It seems that your port info + patches weren't up to date, now the question is why the standard update process didn't fetch new port information, and csup did it.

Hi, people.
I've istalled VirtualBox, but faced with one issue. VBoxManage has not '--audio pulse' option.
When I made port I checked option 'With pulse audio', but it had not got any effect.
How to add 'pulse' support?

Wow...I finally managed to get VirtualBox built and running...and I've gotta say, this is like a dream come true. :) For what I need a vm for, this surpasses vmware by about ten thousand miles. While it was certainly not easy to get all the dependencies built for it (curse you dbus-qt4 and phonon), I can now look back on the experience and laugh...I learned a lot more about FreeBSD and the Ports Collection doing this.

Back