vbox VirtualBox stopped working after upgrade to 15.1

vm-bhyve - until a graphical manager for controlling bhyve virtual machines is created

Now I have peace of mind. I don't get annoyed after every update when the VirtualBox module is incompatible with the kernel and VirtualBox versions—and stops working.
 
In the past, I used VMware, then VirtualBox.
Right now I'm using vm-behyve. At least until they create a fully functional graphical manager for managing machines for bhyve. Now I don’t get frustrated anymore when VirtualBox stops working after an update because the module version is incompatible with the kernel and VirtualBox versions. And I don’t have to recompile the module again, as long as it’s still compatible with the version in the ports.
Now everything is fine.

Code:
root@freebsd /home/yampress # vm list
NAME       DATASTORE  LOADER  CPU  MEMORY           VNC           AUTO  STATE
debian     default     uefi      2     5G      0.0.0.0:5900        No    Running (67034)
fedorakde  default     uefi      2     5G               -          No    Stopped
root@freebsd /home/yampress #

both in graphic mode:
fedora - kde
debian - xfce

bhyve/vmm on FreeBSD is better than virtualbox
qemu/kvm on linux is better than virtualbox
 
In the past, I used VMware, then VirtualBox.
Right now I'm using vm-behyve. At least until they create a fully functional graphical manager for managing machines for bhyve. Now I don’t get frustrated anymore when VirtualBox stops working after an update because the module version is incompatible with the kernel and VirtualBox versions. And I don’t have to recompile the module again, as long as it’s still compatible with the version in the ports.
Now everything is fine.

Code:
root@freebsd /home/yampress # vm list
NAME       DATASTORE  LOADER  CPU  MEMORY           VNC           AUTO  STATE
debian     default     uefi      2     5G      0.0.0.0:5900        No    Running (67034)
fedorakde  default     uefi      2     5G               -          No    Stopped
root@freebsd /home/yampress #

both in graphic mode:
fedora - kde
debian - xfce

bhyve/vmm on FreeBSD is better than virtualbox
qemu/kvm on linux is better than virtualbox
not if you need direct rendering but I agree that in most cases we don't really need that if we are only using tools and not playing heavy rendering games.
How do you manage to connect a USB device in bhyve?
I've got a Boss Katana combo and the software only runs in windows OS and I need to connect the USB to it.
I was wondering if it will work with bhyve.

EDIT:
Yes true it happend to me VBox kms need to be recompiled to get it working again.
That's a Ports general problem. I also need to recompile gvfs if I want FUSE enabled because the Port maintainer decided no one needs that enabled by default.
 
USB redirect -
"
- **PCI passthrough** -- assign physical devices directly to guests.
"
Bhyve supports PCI passthrough, which lets you assign a physical GPU (or any PCI device) directly to a guest. This is useful for running GPU-accelerated workloads inside VMs.
"
 
USB redirect -
"
- **PCI passthrough** -- assign physical devices directly to guests.
"
Bhyve supports PCI passthrough, which lets you assign a physical GPU (or any PCI device) directly to a guest. This is useful for running GPU-accelerated workloads inside VMs.
"
That is if your hardware has 2 cards, something like a onboard chip and another pci connected card
 
try bhyve
I tried. And used it until they removed uefi-csm loader/firmware support.
I need to run Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7, and even XP for some cases. In my cases it is almost impossible to switch to a newer system that supports bare UEFI. (custom proprietary soft simply doesn't run on a newer system).
So, I rolled back to VirtualBox that supports all the legacy systems. Updating via ports works for now, so will proceed with VB until (if) bhyve (re)implements legacy uefi-csm loader/firmware. Or will try to switch to ProxMox otherwise, regardless me dislike Linux-based systems.
 
Tried this one. Looks promising, but I rejected it for now as found usability not good for me here and there. Also, no CLI option - only web-UI, which is a no-go for me.

Tried BVCP as well. Looks better as for me, but it is not opensource.

But since both are bhyve-based, they have the same limitation - only uefi/grub loader/firmware. No options for legacy Windows systems.
 
You actually can run Windows 7 on vm-bhyve; however, it doesn't work with just any image—only those capable of UEFI booting. And not all images support that. You can run the top-tier editions, like Enterprise or Ultimate, though likely only the 64-bit versions.
 
I love the idea of having a full BSD virtualization and bhyve is the way and I really don't care having to edit here and there to make stuff work, I mean having a GUI to manage VMs isn't a priority, mostly because I usually setup the VM in VB GUI and end launching it with vboxmanage startvm command.
Unfortunately bhyve doesn't fulfill my needs and since I can't have bhyve and VB running at same time I have to make a choice and go for VB.
 
Let's take a look at the system load now: VirtualBox plus the guest machine...
Let's examine a guest machine running on VMM/bhyve.
What resources does it consume?

Another point: with bhyve, I can launch the guest at a resolution of 1920x1080 or 1600x980 on a 27-inch monitor. Can you do the same with VirtualBox without installing Guest Additions?
 
That is if your hardware has 2 cards, something like a onboard chip and another pci connected card

You can also buy PCIe cards that have 4 separate USB controllers on one card so that you can parcel them out to multiple VMs via PCIe passthrough. USB passthrough is always trouble.

I bought one just in case even though I don't use it right now.
 
I have three NVMe drives, each with a separate operating system: Windows 11, Debian Linux and FreeBSD. In the past I used to have three operating systems installed on a single drive, booted via GRUB in a multiboot configuration. Sometimes, however, I need to test something, and that’s when virtualisation comes in handy. On Linux, I use KVM and virt-manager. On FreeBSD, I use vmm/bhyve with vm-bhyve, and I’m very happy with this solution. I’ve stopped using VirtualBox on these systems because of the issues I mentioned earlier. Things are now running smoothly with vm-bhyve. However, it would be useful to have virt-manager working fully, completely and stably with bhyve.
 
Tried this one. Looks promising, but I rejected it for now as found usability not good for me here and there. Also, no CLI option - only web-UI, which is a no-go for me.

Tried BVCP as well. Looks better as for me, but it is not opensource.

But since both are bhyve-based, they have the same limitation - only uefi/grub loader/firmware. No options for legacy Windows systems.
https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/...o-bhyve-legacy-bios-guest.101682/#post-776190 . Tested with Windows XP by Sylve dev apparently (as mentioned on the last CFT bhyve call) . There is also edk2-legacy port (https://bugs.freebsd.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=295943) . Hopefully it will land as well.

It will be a good thing to have options and not depend on virtualbox for legacy/esoteric OS-es.

*Edit*
Some additional stuff that will probably be MFCed in 15.2
 
Last edited:
It would be extremely useful to have a hassle-free way in bhyve to run older operating systems—including Windows XP and Windows 7
—without UEFI mode, booting at VGA resolution. (in windows for example)
 
I'm giving bhyve another try. :)
created 3 vms:
- colima: containers development (ubuntu + docker)
- kube: for kubernetes development (ubuntu + containerd + kubeadm)
- win10: i think it doesn't need introduction

the linux system was straight forward, no issues.
this win10 is the one that gave me some trouble
had to install virtio drivers for networking, the system keeps hanging with default e1000
it was easy to add sound output and it seems to run as smooth as in virtualbox, I don't need graphic acceleration for what I use in here
but I need at least to have a usb port so I can plug my Boss Katana and setup sound effects and for firmware upgrades

EDIT:
I also use jails to run services in isolation, it's a full BSD environment now.
 
You actually can run Windows 7 on vm-bhyve; however, it doesn't work with just any image—only those capable of UEFI booting.
It was possible while bhyve provided uefi-csf loader/firmware.
I tried every option I found to install Windows 7 with the recent bhyve - it simply doesn't work. Including UefiSeven 'hack' and other ways to push Windows 7 on pure UEFI.

I found some details and explanations here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...boot-windows-7-on-uefi-class-3-devices.82137/ (registration is required to see the details)
In short - Windows 7 cannot be used with pure UEFI class 3 (which, I believe, bhyve was switched to some time ago).
 
Back
Top