vbox Virtualbox: Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908) Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully. where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRI

I'm trying to emulate windows 11 on:
FreeBSD 13.2-RELEASE releng/13.2-n254617-525ecfdad597 GENERIC

I have installed virtual box with:
sudo pkg install virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-additions

I've added this to my /boot/loader.conf
Code:
vboxdrv_load="YES"

I've added this to my /etc/rc.conf

Code:
linux_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
vboxguest_enable="YES"
vboxservice_enable="YES"

I've created a new virtual machine with 9gb's of ram, 400gb's of virtual storage (dynamic disk), and I have disabled 3d acceleration.
I've attached an iso image and launched the machine to get this error message:
Code:
Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)
Make sure the kernel module has been loaded successfully.
where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

Running kldstat | grep vbox indeed shows nothing.
When I attempt to load the module manually with
sudo kldload vboxdrv

I get:
Code:
kldload: an error occurred while loading module vboxdrv. Please check dmesg(8) for more details.

Checking dmesg shows:

Code:
KLD vboxdrv.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch
linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type

Is there something I can do to make this work?
For example, would building virtualbox from the ports be able to fix this issue?
Or can i somehow select a different version of vboxdrv to be installed through pkg?

EDIT: I've removed the installed packages and built virtualbox (virtualbox-ose, virtualbox-ose-kmod) from the ports, <br>
checking out the 525ecfdad597 hash (in /usr/src) and now, when attempting to load the vboxdrv module, I get:<br>
Code:
kldload: unexpected relocation type 42, symbol index 918
link_elf_obj: symbol __stack_chk_guard undefined
linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type

Last edited by a moderator:
VirtualBox is broken with pkg and will remain so until packages will built on 13.2-RELEASE (and not on 13-1-RELEASE as today). It should has worked with ports. Be sure your ports collection is up to date. Search a little on the forum, you're not alone in this case.

You just need to build virtualbox-ose-kmod, you can keep virtualbox-ose from pkg. And I advise you to install with pkg all the dependencies needed by virtualbox-ose-kmod.

hmmm, but I checked out releng/13.2 in /usr/src before building the kmod.
I even get two different errors in dmesg when attempting to kldload vboxdrv after building for 13.1 and 13.2 respectively:

KLD vboxdrv.ko: depends on kernel - not available or version mismatch linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type

kldload: unexpected relocation type 42, symbol index 918 link_elf_obj: symbol __stack_chk_guard undefined linker_load_file: /boot/modules/vboxdrv.ko - unsupported file type

Back