Virtual terminal mode vesa not loading

Using 9.0 release, I have a entry to load the vesa module in /boot/loader.cfg.
I have an entry in /etc/rc.conf
Code:
allscreens_flags="MODE_357"

For some reason the vesa module is not being loaded during boot, and then allscreens option to change the virtual terminal modes fails.

I had this working fine under 9.1.

Yes sorry /boot/loader.conf

Code:
geom_eli_load="YES"
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/label/toshiba.elia"
vesa_load="YES"
if_wpi_load="YES"
wlan_scan_ap_load="YES"
wlan_scan_sta_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"

It was working on 9.1, now on 9.0, and yes on the same machine. Now I have to load the vesa module and execute manually
[CMD="kldload"] vesa [/CMD]
[CMD="vidcontrol"] MODE_357[/CMD]
The screen mode is supported and works.

So, if I understand correctly: VESA works and the video mode in question works, but somehow VESA is not loaded at boot time even though you have
Code:
vesa_load="YES"
in /boot/loader.conf, right?

echo6 said:
Code:
vfs.root.mountfrom="ufs:/dev/label/toshiba.elia"
Since according to the above you have an encrypted root filesystem I have to ask this, just to be sure: are you certain that you're looking at the right /boot/loader.conf? It's the one on the medium you're booting from (most likely a USB flash drive or something) that matters, not the one on the encrypted root partition.

Glad I could help. If ever there's a disadvantage of having an encrypted root partition, it's having to make sure that all changes to anywhere in /boot are propagated to the boot medium (as well as any backups thereof). But on the bright side, you're probably not the first to make that mistake and you probably won't make the same mistake again anytime soon either ;)

[Edit: notified HOWTO author to perhaps add a remark about this]

Note to add: instead of using the allscreens_flags variable in /etc/rc.conf you can activate it earlier in the boot sequence by adding the following to (the boot partition's) /boot/device.hints:
Code:
hint.sc.0.flags="0x180" # instead of 0x100
hint.sc.0.vesa_mode="357"

Back