Solved Very slow performance on Thinkpad T440p (ZFS?)

Apparently the problem was that the zpool was created incorrectly. Moreover, I had to re-create the zpool on almost all of my systems. However, this did not help much, as Alain De Vos predicted when he said that
Yet the ashift cannot explain bursts of slowness with 0%CPU usage & 15GB Free Memory.
Before rebuilding, I reinstalled all packages from the official repository with pkg upgrade -f --repository=FreeBSD. For some unknown reason, it didn't start working any faster, and this temporarily averted suspicion from the packages I built on my poudriere binhost.

Later, on this binhost I rebuilt all packages with OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS support where applicable. Finally, the video (and even switching tabs) in Firefox slowed down due to the disabled OPENGL support in ffmpeg. It's worth noting that I didn't even try to plug in Optimus, as this laptop used to work just fine with Gentoo without it.

As a result, everything works fast, and I remove Linux from the 3rd SSD and give it back to l2arc )

maybe tunning in /boot/loader.conf
Code:
vfs.zfs.arc_max
?

Code:
vfs.zfs.arc_max=4G
for example
Yes, this is also a great idea. I think 16Gb of non-ECC memory is not best practice for using ZFS, especially with l2arc in the same zpool. But the temptation to use zfs mirror was so great)

Apparently the problem was that the zpool was created incorrectly. Moreover, I had to re-create the zpool on almost all of my systems. However, this did not help much, as Alain De Vos predicted when he said that

Before rebuilding, I reinstalled all packages from the official repository with pkg upgrade -f --repository=FreeBSD. For some unknown reason, it didn't start working any faster, and this temporarily averted suspicion from the packages I built on my poudriere binhost.

Later, on this binhost I rebuilt all packages with OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS support where applicable. Finally, the video (and even switching tabs) in Firefox slowed down due to the disabled OPENGL support in ffmpeg. It's worth noting that I didn't even try to plug in Optimus, as this laptop used to work just fine with Gentoo without it.

As a result, everything works fast, and I remove Linux from the 3rd SSD and give it back to l2arc )

Instead of using OPTIMIZED_CFLAGS you could maybe amend /etc/make.conf as suggested in this post:

In my case /etc/make.conf now just contains the line:

Code:
CPUTYPE?=skylake

• Thanks
Reactions: dnb
Back