vbox Using desktop-installer on VirtualBox - artifacts in the console.

grahamperrin

Son of Beastie

I aimed to run desktop-installer in a guest with 13.0-RELEASE. Problems with file systems before installation began:

1633982299850.png1633982363697.png

After supposed repair: the bad file descriptor symptom recurred with the UFS boot volume, I couldn't enable soft update journaling.

Postscript

FreeBSD bug 259090 – UFS: bad file descriptor: soft update journaling can not be enabled on the FreeBSD-provided disk image for 13.0-RELEASE – failed to write updated cg

OP
G

GVitaliy

I guess I didn't quite get the topic of this post right. Now I see that the problem is not related to the desktop-installer operation. The script works fine, but I had to give it up because some of the settings it makes, for me as a beginner, are not very clear. So I saved the contents of the master configuration files after it was done for further analysis and went back to manually installing it step by step.

And now, at the moment I have two options –

1) Using the VBoxSVGA adapter.

a) running KDE with sddm - getting a normal desktop and crooked tty

b) starting KDE using startx - all tty's look normal before starting startx, after starting startx I come to sub-option a)

2) If I switch to VMSVGA I get normal tty and a crooked desktop - black screen at first, and after installing xf86-video-vmware something like this -

1634034863552.png

The taskbar seems to move off the screen.

In the end, I have settled on option 1).a) for now. Now reading some posts on that forum and the manual, maybe some ideas will come, I'll try it out.

OP
G

GVitaliy

One thing has come to my attention. Here's more information about my host -

1634398207633.png

1634398222365.png

I see that the CPU supports VT-x, but there is no option in my motherboard BIOS to enable it, could this be the reason for the distortion on the tty0.

T-Daemon

Daemon

GVitaliy, try:

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
screen.textmode=0
That setting will "switch to VESA BIOS Extension (VBE) frame buffer mode for console." - loader.conf(5).

dmesg(8) will print, if configuration is correctly set:
Code:
VT(vbefb): resolution 800x600

Eventually try together with different graphics controller (VBoxSVGA, VMSVGA).

OP
G

GVitaliy

[FONT=monospace]GVitaliy[/FONT], try:

/boot/loader.conf
Code:
screen.textmode=0
When using this option I just get a black screen on all tty.

I was only able to get the tty look normal by removing everything from /boot/loader.conf.
But I can only use it normally under root, which uses the default localization. If I'm logging on as my user with the russian locale I specified when I created the user during the base system installation, I get "?" instead of russian characters -

1634468967748.png

Eventually try together with different graphics controller (VBoxSVGA, VMSVGA).
Attempts with VMSVGA I described above post #27.