useless system

Status
Not open for further replies.
We shouldn't even think about including a desktop with FreeBSD until we even have a fully working desktop environment. So far they are all quite broken (due to the haphazard way that Linux / freedesktop developers work). Automounting, networking, user management are not great experiences here on the main three DEs: Xfce, Mate or KDE.

(Gnome 3 doesn't exist. It isn't a DE but a launcher overlay for a fictional phone OS ;)

And when we do get one desktop fully working. We should make a fully working port for it.

... and then it doesn't need to be provided in the FreeBSD installation because ports are easy to install XD.

Why would I want FreeBSD to have Linux' market share? That doesn't help me at all.

These attributes are not what gets an OS really high market share, which is ease of installation and administration, and a flashy GUI. If the (small and fixed) set of developer resources get moved towards a consumer and beginner OS, then there is likely to be less effort in making it a reliable and well-built server OS.

Linux is a perfectly fine operating system. A very large fraction of the world's data is stored on Linux, and it can be perfectly reliable, safe and secure, if administered carefully. There is no reason to hate Linux.

This is unbearably naive.

Honestly: If FreeBSD dedicates a lot of effort to being a better desktop OS, I'll switch to Linux

There already have been. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

Sadly it looks like my attempt to bring peace to this thread has fell flat on its face. As a new user of BSD I was astonished by the amount of help I was given here and am very thankful for it. However it seems the forums here are no better than those I've seen elsewhere and have decended into a slanging match of one OS/kernel vs another, which is sad to see.

This is a top notch OS for those that know how to use it and can be for newcomers such as myself with the kind of help I've received here. So lets not start flamewars among ourselves and focus on the purpose of these forums which I'm sure is to help new users get to grips topics which may be unfamiliar to them.

tenchu welcome to the real world. When no real problems are around, people start to squabble about nothing. Insert the two old geezers image from muppet show here in your mind, please. When this starts, it means nothing other that some people brush their shoulders and spare off a bit. Sadly, in the society, this tends to result in massive amounts of stupid. Here, we can simply close the thread.

Edit: I want to make it clear that I am using the muppets as an example for the behaviour and not to reference to any distinguished forum members.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back