useless system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Todd Lammle's book on CCNA is a good book for networking. Cisco's CCNA program is one of the best regarding networking and Lammle is one of the best authors on the subject (in my opinion). I haven't read Lucas' book Networking for System Administrators but by the sound of it, it's a better starting point to get your feet wet.

I haven't read Lucas' book Networking for System Administrators but by the sound of it, it's a better starting point to get your feet wet.

This is what Michael has to say about who should read his book:

Who Should Read This Book?
Every systems administrator, database admin, web admin, developer, and so on should
understand the basic principles of networking. This book grounds you in modern TCP/IP
without demanding a month’s dedicated study. Understanding the network will empower
you to identify the real source of problems, solve your own problems more quickly, and
make better requests of your team members.
This book is also for network administrators who need to educate others in their team
about the essentials of networking. After a few years, a network administrator’s
understanding of TCP/IP turns into this interconnected morass of window scaling and
sequence numbers and malformed packets. Someone asks us what a port is, and moments
later we’re explaining SYN floods and the person we’re talking to has learned the vital
lesson of “never ask the network administrator anything.” (This trait isn’t exclusive to
network administrators—it’s endemic in the IT industry. Ask a database administrator to
explain databases sometime.) That stuff is all vital to a network administrator’s job, but
the average user doesn’t need to understand it. You can use this book to explain only
what the average sysadmin absolutely must know about TCP/IP.

So, I don't think that this is a good first book on TCP/IP or networking in general for a beginner, unless you're a beginner sysadmin.
Hence the title of the book. However, I'll leave it to the OP to decide whether they feel that they fit into Michael's target audience above.

Well my new found friends, the fun begins all over again.
I've just got my Dell Inspiron back from the shop with its swanky new keyboard installed and a new charger. I've decided I liked the last round of punishment so much I'd install BSD on this one aswell; and considering Windows has just tried to format my vape in drive F: I think I've made a wise choice.

The more you do it the easier it gets. I don't even want to know how many times I reinstalled everything in the past 15 years ;)

Well at first glace I suspect this OS will be a lot easier to deal with when trying to remedy problems compared to Windows, so I suspect the scorched earth policy that I usually apply won't be necessary, or at least not as often.

Well at first glace I suspect this OS will be a lot easier to deal with when trying to remedy problems compared to Windows, so I suspect the scorched earth policy that I usually apply won't be necessary, or at least not as often.
I only reinstall FreeBSD when I switch to another PC, assuming I don't keep the same HDD/SSD. It's that good once you get to know it and know how to configure it and where to look in the unlikely event there's an issue.
Even OS updates are done in place, almost always without issues. The only thing that once bit me was using a software raid and upgrading FreeBSD which kind of broke it.

The main reason is that there's just a few files that are regularly modified:
/etc/rc.conf
/boot/loader.conf
and the configuration files in /usr/local/etc
Unlike Windows with its registry that keeps filling up with garbage.

And all installed software (packages, ports) goes into /usr/local, so no need to go search your disk to see what files were installed.
Also, pkg info -l helps a lot with that.

Hi all,

I have tried about 7 times to install bsd on my old 32bit fujitsu-siemens without much luck.

I had followed the instructions given in Absolute Freebsd as much as possible (some options given on screen did not match those shown in chapter 3 of the book), but for some reason the system is unusable. I have tried installing basic software including a browser and have had nothing but error messages i.e. pkg not installed try using ports. Could not use ports (something to do with a mirror site).

I tried checking my network connection with ifconfig -a and couldnt really understand what info it put out. I'm trying to make a usable system out of an old laptop which previously had various linux distributions on it that ran fine but quite slow (booting/loading often took 5mins +). bsd boots in seconds but presents me with a system that can do basically nothing. I've tried searching forums for solutions and read the various sections of the hand book and gotten absolutely nowhere.

Is there a sensible guide somewhere that I can follow to get a usable system up and running (preferably one that does not require a degree in CS to understand it) before I bin the book and go back to linix?

many thanks from a frustrated newb.

maybe deploy it on a >= 16 mb pendrive :
It has entropy fix.

Boot it with F12, F9 ... at boot of machine to run the usb stick.

Belkin N150 or Belkin N300 usb dongle recommended to get net.

with /etc/rc.conf with :
#wlans_rtwn0="wlan0"
wlans_ath0="wlan0"
ifconfig_wlan0="WPA DHCP"
ifconfig_wlan0_ipv6="inet6 accept_rtadv"
create_args_wlan0="country US regdomain FCC"

and populate wpa wireless /etc/...

or dhclient for using ethernet.

Funny you are on this topic: been thinking about this. I hang out sometimes on Linuxquestions, mainly to help folks and read the crazy posts...I used to think, when I first started in FreeBSD, that this would be hard, that it would take a lot of work. I can tell you the effort required (for me) to get a FreeBSD desktop up pales in comparison to Slackware. What a nightmare. The only Linux distro in 20 years I have never been able to get X running on modern hardware. Maybe because it isn't written for modern hardware, who knows. Even Gentoo was far easier. Slack just does things very strangely, and not like any other distro I have seen.

'nuff said, before I wander too far off topic...

Funny you are on this topic: been thinking about this. I hang out sometimes on Linuxquestions, mainly to help folks and read the crazy posts...I used to think, when I first started in FreeBSD, that this would be hard, that it would take a lot of work. I can tell you the effort required (for me) to get a FreeBSD desktop up pales in comparison to Slackware. What a nightmare. The only Linux distro in 20 years I have never been able to get X running on modern hardware. Maybe because it isn't written for modern hardware, who knows. Even Gentoo was far easier. Slack just does things very strangely, and not like any other distro I have seen.

'nuff said, before I wander too far off topic...

But slackware was a early distribution, with numerous books and possible documentations.
Likely the precompiled kernel is the issue for slackware.

FreeBSD is robust. Things are where they should. It is far more secured for a server, has a great networking, and it looks safer to power a server. X never crashes, just awesome.

The above issue to return to the thread can be overcome, surely.

it's been 8 and a half hours, multiple smoke breaks,

laugh Congrats!
I was following this thread yesterday, and figured there are already a lot of great people helping on so it doesn't need me to comment as well.

But there is a thing I l learn from this: it seems today folks just see there can be a desktop (or whatever) configured, and then they want to have that running on their machine rightaway, here and now - mostly disregarding all the many things that can be learned on the way - seeing these things (like text editor, network, etc.) rather as obstacles than as features.

When I started to use unix (a couple decades ago), I cherished all these pieces, tried to understand them and figure out what else can be done with each of them. And consequently, without me having proper education or diploma, this then brought me a nice and well paid consulting job - because I knew how the things work, while the business scientists had not much clue about that.
I recently thought this would have changed nowadays, but from what I experienced just today while booking some overnight stays with a major online booking service, when their web booking services seem to just have fallen apart during my bookings (they are now somewhere, part in the credit card's database, part at the accomodation site's database, but not online), it seems there is still a high demand for people who know what they are doing...

laugh Congrats!
I was following this thread yesterday, and figured there are already a lot of great people helping on so it doesn't need me to comment as well.

But there is a thing I l learn from this: it seems today folks just see there can be a desktop (or whatever) configured, and then they want to have that running on their machine rightaway, here and now - mostly disregarding all the many things that can be learned on the way - seeing these things (like text editor, network, etc.) rather as obstacles than as features.

When I started to use unix (a couple decades ago), I cherished all these pieces, tried to understand them and figure out what else can be done with each of them. And consequently, without me having proper education or diploma, this then brought me a nice and well paid consulting job - because I knew how the things work, while the business scientists had not much clue about that.
I recently thought this would have changed nowadays, but from what I experienced just today while booking some overnight stays with a major online booking service, when their web booking services seem to just have fallen apart during my bookings (they are now somewhere, part in the credit card's database, part at the accomodation site's database, but not online), it seems there is still a high demand for people who know what they are doing...

The problem really is having the information available in a formated suited to its audience. I am a complete beginner so following the handbook can lead to more frustrations than solutions. I think the forums here are definitely this OSs saving grace. After trawling through the available options on amazon its easy to see there isn't anywhere near the volume of beginners books for this OS in comparison to say Windows or Linux, which is a shame because I think if more people were introduced to it it would catch up to linuxs' market share quickly. As a new user I'd like to know how to perform basic tasks and have the info in one place i.e. small handbook with info on how to manage users/software/files and so on. Once I know that and can make use of the system I can then spend more time looking at the system in depth. Thats exactly what I did with other OSs. I did buy the one available tome on BSD 'Absolute FREEBSD' and found that it's not massively user friendly; hence my five weeks of frustration and eventual trip here to ask for help. On a positive note I've now got a system I'm thoroughly happy with, so much so I've installed it on a second laptop today (yes I did have the exact same problem as last time and had to go back through this thread following the instructions).

After trawling through the available options on amazon its easy to see there isn't anywhere near the volume of beginners books for this OS in comparison to say Windows or Linux
Unlike Windows and Linux, FreeBSD is a professional operating system for professionals and serious amateurs. Not at all for Mom, Pop and the kids to play their games on. You can do such things but FreeBSD won't hold your hand. It will assume you know what you're doing to some extent and are willing to look up the things you don't.
which is a shame because I think if more people were introduced to it it would catch up to linuxs' market share quickly.
There is no contest and, if there is, FreeBSD is not participating. This OS, thankfully, is more interested in technical superiority than pretty fireworks and sales pitches at Best Buy. That's what makes Linux the hell hole it is today.

I do wish vermadens tutorial on building a desktop from scratch was added to the handbook. It's much more thorough and descriptive than what's currently in the handbook. Or perhaps split the handbook into two; one for the headless server administration and building your desktop from scratch.

That's a pretty normal attitude.
Actually it's unavoidable - if you wanted to know what you're doing about everything, you'd spend all of your life learning stuff instead of doing stuff. The question is more which of the things you want to learn and which of the things you merely want to use.

Particularly with the networking issues: I had the exact same problem as the OP, and I had to search for tips&tricks (and weed out the no-more-applicable ones) for several days just to find that /etc/rc.conf line that I had to change. It's a pretty steep entry barrier; I was able to deal with it because I learned the Internet with Trumpet Winsock, then Linux when dhcp was already in place, but as we have seen in this thread, it's still requiring things that a non-techie has no hope of overcoming without help.

I'd really like if the FreeBSD installer autodetected network cards and did the little zeroconf dances that all the other operating systems do for you.
I know that it's not really in line with the FreeBSD philosophy of "your system, your control", but then hardware autodetection already works, and networking is one of these all-important enablers these days.

Philosophically: If full control is impossible because you can't learn everything, give the user the choice what to learn and what to leave to the mechanisms. But do provide the mechanisms.

For me, this means no FreeBSD on the desktop for a while. At least not until I feel confident on the command line, which will take me a while. Because the desktop is something that I don't want to learn the details about, I want to just use it (as opposed to server operation where I want and need the control).
For my NAS, security is paramount because it's my last line of defense against ransomware and (at least some degree of) spear attacks. The data is going to be important enough to rule out Linux, so I'm willing to learn a new operating system (no matter which, it's always a major investment of time) and take control. But ordinarily, I wouldn't want to do that because my primary interests aren't in operating systems (not in existing ones anyway).

Well, enough rambling.
I was just trying to explain how my situation fits, and where I see the next hurdles for further FreeBSD adoption; feel free to ignore, as I'm not going to set the goals of the FreeBSD project, I'm just gratefully accepting what's there where it happens to fit my bill.

I'd really like if the FreeBSD installer autodetected network cards and did the little zeroconf dances that all the other operating systems do for you.
I know that it's not really in line with the FreeBSD philosophy of "your system, your control", but then hardware autodetection already works, and networking is one of these all-important enablers these days.

I'd pretty much something like this for any desktop related drivers - GPU, Sound, etc. A simple checkbox during installation could do desktop component enumeration, then all that's needed is building your desktop. There's devmatch() that's being worked on but i'm not sure what the current status is of that or if it's in the installer.

If FreeBSD isn't going to ship a destop by default - at least make it easier to get one up and running!

If FreeBSD isn't going to ship a destop by default - at least make it easier to get one up and running!

I did not yet try to install a GUI on my laptop. I'm currently happy working only in the CLI. If you find the installation of a GUI too difficult and/or cumbersome, why don't you use GhostBSD then? I'm still very new to BSD but I thought GhostBSD = FreeBSD + GUI out-of-the-box. You will get the benefits of FreeBSD with a GUI pre-installed.

Given that so many servers run FreeBSD, I can understand why the developers don't bother with the GUI that much.

If FreeBSD isn't going to ship a destop by default
Lets, for the sake of argument, assume this will someday happen. What desktop should be chosen as default? Your preferences may not coincide with mine. So maybe I don't like your suggestion of that default and I'm going to suggest a different one. You then end up with an endless debate about which desktop should be set as default. Then there's a whole bunch of FreeBSD users that never use a desktop, should you force that desktop onto them too? FreeBSD uses the best option available, it doesn't force that default on you, it leaves it up to the individual users to pick his or her own "default".

at least make it easier to get one up and running!
It's dead simple these days. But most new users try to run before they're able to walk, and wonder why they fall. That's an expectation problem, not a technical one.

why don't you use GhostBSD then?

Because I don't like GhostBSD and would rather stick with the source. I don't see the point in GhostBSD when the FreeBSD developers could coordinate on a graphical ISO.

Lets, for the sake of argument, assume this will someday happen. What desktop should be chosen as default? Your preferences may not coincide with mine. So maybe I don't like your suggestion of that default and I'm going to suggest a different one. You then end up with an endless debate about which desktop should be set as default. Then there's a whole bunch of FreeBSD users that never use a desktop, should you force that desktop onto them too? FreeBSD uses the best option available, it doesn't force that default on you, it leaves it up to the individual users to pick his or her own "default".

Then you simply drop into a shell and build your own or select 'manual mode' in the installer. Shipping a desktop does not mean eliminating any way of choosing how one would want their desktop experience to be. It's about attracting more 'mere mortals' with a FreeBSD being viable option to get into. Not everyone has the time to curate a working desktop from scratch - although I prefer it.. Debian ships a headless and graphical ISO - it's simple.

As for which desktop - a general consensus can be made on desktop paradigm would be best for the general user. Throw up a poll, etc.

It's dead simple these days. But most new users try to run before they're able to walk, and wonder why they fall. That's an expectation problem, not a technical one.

Automatic driver detection for the desktop is still a pain in FreeBSD. Hell, I'm still having problems getting bluetooth working. If someone expects simplicity in setting up a desktop - at least provide a means of automatically loading drivers - ie like Toolforgers situation.

But put it IN the installer!
Why ? The person not able to issue a single command (namely pkg install desktop-installer) to get a desktop configuration should probably not use FreeBSD anyway.

I really don't understand the issue here. You can use FreeBSD and run pkg install desktop-installer or use GhostBSD. Why are you so bend on having FreeBSD do it for you? It sounds like you want FreeBSD to be something that FreeBSD itself does not want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back