USB keyboard (Cooler Master Devastator 3 Plus) multimedia keys not working.

Hello julien40, no xev doesn't recognize the keys. That's the problem. The multimedia keys aren't being recognized.

Which FreeBSD version are you running? What's your status on loaded drivers, both with kldstat and in kernel, and also USBHID? Are two sets of competing drivers used for each piece of hardware?

Hi, I brought out an old Logitech USB keyboard with multimedia keys not recognized under xev.
I compared with linux, there is an additional file /dev/input/event? that there is not under FreeBSD.
This is so that xev does not recognize them.
I found another alternative for the keys to work but not under xev with the hidraw module.
# kldload hidraw
To test the multimedia keys, test the correct /dev/hidraw?
# hexdump -C /dev/hidraw8
00000000 01 0d 00 01 00 00 01 0d 00 01 00 00 01 0d 00 01 |................|
00000010 00 00 01 0c 00 01 00 00 01 0c 00 01 00 00 01 0c |................|
00000020 00 01 00 00 01 13 00 01 00 00 01 13 00 01 00 00 |................|
# usbhidctl -f /dev/hidraw8 -lza
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:AC_Forward=13 0

Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:AC_Forward=0 0

Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:AC_Forward=19 0

Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:AC_Forward=12 0

Now to link a key to an action/command, you must use the usbhidaction program with a configuration file :

# cat conf
Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:AC_Forward 13 0 xkbbell

# usbhidaction -c conf -f /dev/hidraw8 -d
usbhidaction: config file `conf', line 1, HID item not found: `Consumer:Consumer_Control.Consumer:AC_Forward'

Unfortunately, it doesn't work, for the moment I don't know why...
Does anyone know why?

Should we write a program that reads /dev/hidraw? and which executes commands according to the code...

the multimedia keys of my keyboard aren't working. I have followed a lot of of guides but still they aren't working nor being recognized.

Search on the Keychron keyboards and Linux and Apple. Look both for the Keychrons with separate multimedia keys and those with combined multimedia and Fn-keys. Somewhere out there is a description of the issue and technical background. Part of the solution could also be on a hardware switch Apple/Windows on the keyboard.

The issue wasn't on FreeBSD, but might give some insights and probably code example that might work here.

I encountered the above when I wanted to buy a Keychron keyboard. It seemed solvable, but wasn't needed for the model I have now (Keychron K2).

Also, what's the output of dmesg when you unplug and plug in your keyboard?

Part of the solution could also be on a hardware switch Apple/Windows on the keyboard.
When I first saw this, I thought that USBHID was meant to be universal for both Windows, generic and Mac keyboards and other HID inputs. I2CHID or IICHID was only compatible with Windows and other generic keyboards, but not engineered for Mac manufactured keyboards.

Upon looking up, "Keychron keyboard multimedia keys problems", it says how the Windows keys aren't found when it's switched to Mac, and how those keyboards need the Windows key to use the multimedia keys. So, if it's a Keychron keyboard,
Search on the Keychron keyboards and Linux and Apple. Look both for the Keychrons with separate multimedia keys and those with combined multimedia and Fn-keys. Somewhere out there is a description of the issue and technical background. Part of the solution could also be on a hardware switch Apple/Windows on the keyboard.
is relevant.

If that solves the problem, please let us know anyway, the output of dmesg for that keyboard, the status of kldstat, and also the version of FreeBSD, you're using. If it doesn't solve the problem, also let us know which additional HID drivers may be in that kernel, and the status of USBHID, and any other related driver settings or hardware driver on your computer. To find if a driver is already loaded, use kldload and it will tell you if that driver is already otherwise loaded in the kernel. Also, let of know if the problem has to do with Multimedia keys needing overlay keys. For future readers, including those who may stumble onto that problem.

The title says, Cooler Master Devastator keyboard, and I'm not sure if the problem or solution is similar to that of a Keychron keyboard. The more recent guide listed would be relevant for gaming and minimal mechanical keyboards. I'm not sure of the working status of multimedia keys overlayed on top of other keys on mechanical or WASD keyboards on it though.

Someone in that thread noted a problem for WASD keyboards which is what was also described in this thread for Keychron keyboards, having to do with requiring Windows keys or other overlay keys to use in conjunction with multimedia keys.

I'm interested to get the multimedia keys on a usb keyboard working in FreeBSD.
Keyboard is Ducky Zero DK-2108 with mechanical (Cherry brown) switches.

Hi, now for the multimedia keys to be recognized by xev you have to simulate the keys with xdotool

Example for the XF86AudioPlay button :
$ cat test.conf
01 05 00 00 00 00 00 00 xdotool key XF86AudioPlay
$ ./bindkeys64 /dev/hidraw8 test.conf

The key is recognized under xev and under gimp, audacious for example...

Last edited:
Back