vbox Update to virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.18 killed Xorg

T-Daemon

Daemon

The first, second and third screenshots under <https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-507672> were VMSVGA without x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware.

On my system with VMSVGA set and vmware driver absent Xorg is failing (I have x11/xorg-minimal installed), it terminates with "Fatal server error ... no screens found" using the vesa driver.

Do you have specified a driver and options in a xorg configuration file? If not could you look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and check which driver is loaded?

T-Daemon

Daemon

VBoxClient command in ~/.xinitrc works for my setup. It might depend which WM/DE is used. If the case is a race condition a sleep command can be added before the VBoxClient command is executed or better it can be set in the WM's/DE's autostart file.

I observed the mentioned GUI freeze if VBoxClient is executed when the vmware driver is running xorg. They don't work nice together.

grahamperrin

… xf86-video-vmware …

… VBoxSVGA …

… VBoxSVGA (VBoxVGA is also fine) …

Excellent!

x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware from quarterly and from latest were good with VBoxSVGA (ignoring the yellow alert in VirtualBox) with FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE guests with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18 on two 6.1.18 hosts:
  • Windows 10 20H2
  • FreeBSD 14.0-CURRENT.
I did not test VBoxVGA or FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p6.

I'll not add the workaround to the Quick start for KDE for two reasons:
  1. avoid misunderstanding of requirements
  2. off-topic, numerous unexpected restarts (possible kernel panics) during startup with the test system that was based on the FreeBSD-provided virtual disk.
With the workaround, the initial resolution for sddm is too low, but this is not a show-stopper:

2021-04-21 19:31:01.png

Success (a Firefox-on-FreeBSD window to an RDP view of the Windows host):

2021-04-21 19:49:08.png

OP
E

Emrion

Aspiring Daemon

I took a VM without xorg. Initially, it was a 12.1-RELEASE installation. Upgraded to 12.2 and, at last, to 13.0-RELEASE. Installed then, xorg, lxde and virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18.

At my first tries, xorg was running well but not lxde (same symptom: black screen). Changed virtualbox-ose-additions to legacy and lxde ran without problem.

After several exchanges and tries between virtualbox-ose-additions and its legacy counterpart, suddenly lxde came to working with the last virtualbox-ose-additions. But, I don't know why.

My working VM is still unable to function without legacy virtualbox-ose-additions; no matter what I try.

So, definetively, virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.18 is bugged.

PS: all was under VboxVGA.

OP
E

Emrion

Aspiring Daemon

Tried virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.20 on my VM and still no dice.
And still no real answer to PR 254464.

Well...

OP
E

Emrion

Aspiring Daemon

That alone is not enough.
Ok. So what can I do more?

FYI, the graphic adapter I use is VBoxVGA. I know that (at least with my last tries on 6.1.18) VMSVGA doesn't work at all (xf86-video-vmware installed of course).

grahamperrin

<https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-507706> above (working) was emphatically without xf86-video-vmware.

VBoxVGA. … (xf86-video-vmware installed of course).

<https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=498570#p498570> above the screenshot of LXDE on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE running in VirtualBox with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions:
  • emphatically VBoxSVGA
– and in the screenshot of LXDE, one line below what's highlighted:

pkg: No package(s) matching vmware

So, please:
  1. in the guest
  2. pkg delete xf86-video-vmware
  3. shut down
  4. set the guest to use VBoxSVGA
  5. start the guest.
VBoxSVGA, not to be confused with VBoxVGA.

Versions

emulators/virtualbox-ose 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

In the meantime, please do try with what's available; follow the five steps above.

Thanks

OP
E

Emrion

Aspiring Daemon

I already tried VBoxSVGA with the 6.1.18 version, and that makes no difference. At the same time, as I wrote above, another VM (with Lxde) eventually worked with VBoxVGA after several tries. So, I perfectly know that this may work, but I have no clue why or why not.

I will try again VBoxSVGA but I ain't very confident.

1. pkg delete xf86-video-vmware
That's irrelevant if the graphic adapter selected isn't VMSVGA (which is the case of the VM that doesn't work with virtualbox-ose-additions-6).

OP
E

Emrion

Aspiring Daemon

OP
E

Emrion

Aspiring Daemon

<https://forums.FreeBSD.org/threads/79451/post-507706> above (working) was emphatically without xf86-video-vmware.

<https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?p=498570#p498570> above the screenshot of LXDE on FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE running in VirtualBox with emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions:
  • emphatically VBoxSVGA
– and in the screenshot of LXDE, one line below what's highlighted:

So, please:
  1. in the guest
  2. pkg delete xf86-video-vmware
  3. shut down
  4. set the guest to use VBoxSVGA
  5. start the guest.
VBoxSVGA, not to be confused with VBoxVGA.

Versions

emulators/virtualbox-ose 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions 6.1.22 ported but not yet packaged.

In the meantime, please do try with what's available; follow the five steps above.

Thanks
So, I tried VBoxSVGA as graphic adapter with virtualbox-ose-additions-6.1.20 and guess what?

You still haven't understood that I - I mean myself - managed to run a fresh VM with FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE and virtualbox-ose-additions-6 AND Lxde. So it's irrelevant to post this picture, I can do the same.

My problem is related to my working VM, initially a 12.0-RELEASE but upgraded up to 13.0-RELEASE, that can't cope with the 6rd version of virtualbox-ose-additions