Solved Update efi partition

driesm

Developer
So, I recently upgraded from 11.1-RELEASE to 11-STABLE. Is it a good practice to update the efi partitions bootloader? So basically, mounting the msdosfs and replacing the current BOOTX64.EFI with the newly build loader located in /boot/boot1.efi?

I do just that myself, and have yet to encounter any problems. If you have reservations, you can always set up a backup bootloader. Replacing the EFI binary isn't something you'll find yourself doing often; the one in STABLE, for example, hasn't seen any changes in months. The only thing your firmware cares about--assuming you have secure boot disabled--is the path to the file. It doesn't checksum its contents.

Well I was wondering if I was talking about the correct file location of the efi binary as they differ quite a lot in size.
/boot/boot1.efi is about 77kB while the currently installed efi binary is around 110kB in size. I just replaced the file by the newly build one and my systems still boots perfectly. So I guess this "updating" can be done without any problem.

Back