Trying to run KDE 6 Plasma with Wayland....

Forgot to mention.
I have no plan to actually test the patch, as I have currently no plan to switch to KDE6 and the (patched) port is depended upon by multiple ports having multiple ports depending upon them.
I don't want possible breakage for them.

I'm using a bhyve / FreeBSD 14.1 vm. I don't want breakages,too.

After having upgraded the packages from quarterly to latest and having reapplied the patch,I get this new error,that I think can be fixed :

Code:
No provider of glEGLImageTargetTexture2DOES found.  Requires one of:
    GL_OES_EGL_image

but I have no idea about how to fix it. I suspect that it is connected to nvidia.

I have currently no plan to switch to KDE6 and the (patched) port is depended upon by multiple ports having multiple ports depending upon them.
thats the problem with KDE
and why a lot of Linux distros dont use it as the default desktop

It's not a problem at all (in my opinion),because like you,I don't want breakages. But at the same time I can enjoy myself trying to make it work within a vm or trying to install it on one external USB disk. As you can see,there are no risks to damage the main system. I'm trying to make it work and when I did it,I will keep it under observation using it from time to time without doing dangerous operations for my personal datas or keeping my personal datas safe in a different disk,to be sure that it works enough well. Only when I will be sure,I will try to configure one of my main system to use it.

Exactly.
Even if the patch fixed the issue for KDE6 alone (seemingly not), applying and installing it or not is the priority issue.

For anyone that KDE6 is mandatory, it should be applied (if it fixes the problem) regardless the massive (possible) breakages of others.

For (at least) me, the priority is quite low (almost nothing), and need waiting at least for exp-run by antoine with tests by each maintainers for run for what I'm using.

I'm using some ports depending upon any of kf5-* ports and some more ports using Qt5 components. So I have KDE5 installed for emergency (when Mate is somehow broken). I must wait for the time all kf5-*-dependent ports switches kf6-* by default (at least considered as non-experimental) and all Qt5-dependent (but not to kf5-*) ports are confirmed not conflicting with any of KDE6 components.

After having upgraded the packages from quarterly to latest and having reapplied the patch,I get this new error,that I think can be fixed :

Code:
No provider of glEGLImageTargetTexture2DOES found.  Requires one of:
    GL_OES_EGL_image

but I have no idea about how to fix it. I suspect that it is connected to nvidia.
As you said that you're installing KDE6 inside VM, so possibly the issue is that the VM (bhyve? virtualbox? Or others?) cannot sanely emulate or pass through EGL for guests.

Not sure it is the only bug, but on 14.1 with latest packages a workaround for below makes plasma6 on wayland work on my x280 with on cpu (intel) gpu...

A workaround for the above is just to return false in udev_device_has_tag without accessing the null list.

Not sure it is the only bug, but on 14.1 with latest packages a workaround for below makes plasma6 on wayland work on my x280 with on cpu (intel) gpu...

A workaround for the above is just to return false in udev_device_has_tag without accessing the null list.

Thanks. Is not what I did here : https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/trying-to-run-kde-6-plasma-with-wayland.93951/post-665172 ? or we are talking about two different bugs ?

btw now I have another problem,this : https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/trying-to-run-kde-6-plasma-with-wayland.93951/post-665188

As you said that you're installing KDE6 inside VM, so possibly the issue is that the VM (bhyve? virtualbox? Or others?) cannot sanely emulate or pass through EGL for guests.
yup if your trying to run KDE in a vm
how can you be sure the issue isnt with the vm and not KDE

only way to be sure is to install on bare metal

I tried an experiment...I have launched the vm using these parameters :

Code:
/usr/sbin/./bhyve-win -S -c sockets=1,cores=12,threads=1 -m 12G -w -H -A \
-s 0,hostbridge \
-s 1,ahci-hd,/mnt/$vmdisk4'p2'/bhyve/img/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-141.img,bootindex=1 \
-s 8:0,passthru,2/0/0 \
-s 8:1,passthru,2/0/1 \
-s 8:2,passthru,2/0/2 \
-s 8:3,passthru,2/0/3 \
-s 11,hda,play=/dev/dsp,rec=/dev/dsp \
-s 13,virtio-net,tap14 \
-s 14,virtio-9p,sharename=/ \
-s 30,xhci,tablet \
-s 31,lpc \
-l bootrom,/usr/local/share/uefi-firmware/BHYVE_UEFI_CODE.fd \
vm0:14

I have removed these ones :
Code:
-s 4,fbuf,tcp=0.0.0.0:5914,w=1600,h=950 \
vm0:14 < /dev/null & sleep 2 && vncviewer 0:14

and I've configured the ssh server inside the vm to launch the kde 6 script from the console as normal user :

marietto@marietto:~ $ ./start-kde6

this is what happened :

Code:
marietto@marietto:~ $ dmesg | grep kwin

nothing. So the bug found by you has been fixed.

BUT :

Code:
org.kde.startup: not a reply org.freedesktop.locale1 QDBusMessage(type=Error, service="", error name="org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown", error message="The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files", signature="s", contents=("The name org.freedesktop.locale1 was not provided by any .service files") )
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Activating service name='org.kde.KSplash' requested by ':1.0' (uid=1001 pid=1000 comm="")
Detected locale "C" with character encoding "US-ASCII", which is not UTF-8.
Qt depends on a UTF-8 locale, and has switched to "C.UTF-8" instead.
If this causes problems, reconfigure your locale. See the locale(1) manual
for more information.
for more information.
for more information.
for more information.
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop' requested by ':1.4' (uid=1001 pid=1010 comm="")
for more information.
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.portal.Documents' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1012 comm="")
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore' requested by ':1.7' (uid=1001 pid=1014 comm="")
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore'
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Successfully activated service 'org.freedesktop.portal.Documents'

fuse: unknown option(s): `-o auto_unmount'
error: fuse init failed: Can't create fuse session

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:16.654: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:16.654: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:16.655: Failed to load RealtimeKit property: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1 was not provided by any .service files
dbus-daemon[999]: [session uid=1001 pid=999] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde' requested by ':1.6' (uid=1001 pid=1012 comm="")
for more information.
for more information.
No backend specified, automatically choosing X11 because DISPLAY is set
kwin_wayland_x11windowed: X server supports SHM extension but not shared pixmaps
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:39:34: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:40:29: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:41:29: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:42:29: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:43:29: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:44:27: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:45:27: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:46:27: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:47:27: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:48:29: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:49:29: string literal is not a valid UTF-8 string
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:49:29: too many errors
kwin_xkbcommon: XKB: /usr/local/lib/X11/locale/iso8859-1/Compose:49:29: failed to parse file
Unable to determine system time zone: please check your system configuration.
[E][00290.338311] spa.loop     | [          loop.c: 1162 impl_init()] 0xab53a88fca8: can't create tss: No error: 0
kwin_screencast: Failed to create PipeWire context
kwin_core: Configured compositor not supported by Platform. Falling back to defaults
kwin_core: The used windowing system requires compositing
kwin_core: We are going to quit KWin now as it is broken
org.kde.startup: "kdeinit5_shutdown" QList() exited with code 255
startplasma-wayland: Shutting down...
startplasmacompositor: Shutting down...
startplasmacompositor: Done.

marietto@marietto:~ $
(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.957: Failed to create settings proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.957: No skeleton to export

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.958: Failed to create file chooser proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.958: No skeleton to export

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.959: Failed to create app chooser proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.959: No skeleton to export

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.959: Failed to create print proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.959: No skeleton to export

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.960: Failed to create notification proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.960: No skeleton to export

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.960: Failed to create inhibit proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.960: No skeleton to export

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.973: Failed to create capture input proxy: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde: The connection is closed

(/usr/local/libexec/xdg-desktop-portal:1012): xdg-desktop-portal-WARNING **: 20:08:22.973: No skeleton to export
qt.qpa.wayland: "wl-shell" is a deprecated shell extension, prefer using "xdg-shell" if supported by the compositor by setting the environment variable QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION

qt.qpa.wayland: "wl-shell" is a deprecated shell extension, prefer using "xdg-shell" if supported by the compositor by setting the environment variable QT_WAYLAND_SHELL_INTEGRATION

qt.qpa.wayland: Loading shell integration failed.
qt.qpa.wayland: Attempted to load the following shells QList("xdg-shell", "wl-shell", "ivi-shell", "qt-shell")
qt.qpa.wayland: Attempted to load the following shells QList("xdg-shell", "wl-shell", "ivi-shell", "qt-shell")
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "wayland" in "" even though it was found.
qt.qpa.xcb: could not connect to display :0
qt.qpa.plugin: From 6.5.0, xcb-cursor0 or libxcb-cursor0 is needed to load the Qt xcb platform plugin.
qt.qpa.plugin: From 6.5.0, xcb-cursor0 or libxcb-cursor0 is needed to load the Qt xcb platform plugin.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
qt.qpa.plugin: Could not load the Qt platform plugin "xcb" in "" even though it was found.
This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: minimal, offscreen, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, xcb, wayland, wayland-egl.

This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

Available platform plugins are: minimal, offscreen, vkkhrdisplay, vnc, xcb, wayland, wayland-egl.

org.kde.plasma.waitforname: WaitForName: Service was not registered within timeout

yup if your trying to run KDE in a vm
how can you be sure the issue isnt with the vm and not KDE

only way to be sure is to install on bare metal

Code:
marietto@marietto:~ $ dmesg | grep "core dumped"

pid 1010 (kcminit), jid 0, uid 1001: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
pid 1018 (xdg-desktop-portal-), jid 0, uid 1001: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)
pid 1007 (ksplashqml), jid 0, uid 1001: exited on signal 6 (core dumped)

I'm not sure at all that it will work on the bare metal.

I agree.

I've "converted" the installation of the FreeBSD vm into a physical installation that I've booted from an external disk and I tried to see if plasma 6 + wayland worked. Unfortunately they didn't. I've attached the error messages reported.

https://pastebin.ubuntu.com/p/9G9p9RTTtq/

Forgot to say that wayfire + wayland worked like a charm using :

Code:
export XDG_CONFIG_HOME="$HOME/.config"
export XDG_CACHE_HOME="$HOME/.cache"
export XDG_DATA_HOME="$HOME/.local/share"
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/var/run/user/1001"
export LIBSEAT_BACKEND=consolekit2

#ck-launch-session dbus-run-session startplasma-wayland 2> startplasma.log

ck-launch-session dbus-run-session wayfire

Code:
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR="/var/run/user/1001"

not needed on Freebsd 14.1

XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is set to this location,
where username is your username

Code:
/var/run/xdg/username

and the variable is exported so shouldnt be set in your shell config

That's not the problem. It just worked,but later I've installed some package and it stopped working. I'm trying to come back where I started from. I have a secure base.

i wouldnt install wayfire because that uses wlroots ( wayland compositor )
so you may get issues with it conflicting with kde

im just superstitious like that

i would just enable seatd and dbus
and then install kde

no i havent installed kde on freebsd

i tried kde with wayland on linux,
didnt like it

kde doesnt have per monitor virtual desktops,
thats a deal breaker for me

also it has loads of dependencies
and running processes

not for me

It is working on my secondary PC,that has the following characteristics :

Hardware :

Memory : 15.9 GiB or RAM
GPU : Mesa Intel HD Graphics 4600

Software :

KDE Plasma Version : 6.1.2
KDE Frameworks Version : 6.3.0
Qt version : 6.7.2
Kernel Version : 14.1-RELEASE-p2 /64 bit/
Graphics Platform : Wayland

So,not an nVidia GPU. There is one or more problems with the nVidia framework.

i wasnt suggesting you use hw.nvidiadrm.modeset on your second pc without an nvidia gpu
running kde and wayland

but on your pc with an nvidia gpu

Back