Other Trying to code in InteliJ Idea on FreeBsd

Hi, I'm trying to use idea under FreeBSD, but can't force local terminal inside idea to work. It print:
Code:
Cannot open Local Terminal
Cannot load native pty executor library

See IDE log (Help | Show Log in Dolphin) for the details.

When I'm starting the startup script from my Konsole terminal, the debug writes this:

java.lang.Error: Unknown OS.

Hi, it seems to work here:

1640901035044.png

Which version of FreeBSD, exactly?

Which version of intellij?

Packages from latest, or quarterly?

uname -aKU

pkg info -x intellij

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled

Hi, it seems to work here:

View attachment 12461

Which version of FreeBSD, exactly?

Which version of intellij?

Packages from latest, or quarterly?

uname -aKU

pkg info -x intellij

pkg -vv | grep -e url -e enabled
FreeBSD ihor 13.0-RELEASE-p4 FreeBSD 13.0-RELEASE-p4 #0: Tue Aug 24 07:33:27 UTC 2021 root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/amd64.amd64/sys/GENERIC amd64 1300139 1300139

I tried on previous system installation, it was the same 13'th version of freeBSD, the IDEA was also last one. I've installed it from official site and run through .sh script, it depend on java back then.
url : "pkg+http://pkg.FreeBSD.org/FreeBSD:13:amd64/latest",

Here is my fresh installation, don't have any JAVA or IDEA for now, but on idea's forums people told that there is no support for freeBSD. Really funny how developers of such product easily break the main idea of JAVA "create once run everywhere", at least our school thought something like this =)

To install intellij try this.

# If you want to install the binary version:
pkg search intellij
sudo pkg install intellij

# If you want to install from source code:
whereis intellij
sudo su
cd /usr/ports/java/intellij/ && make -DBATCH install clean

Here is my fresh installation, don't have any JAVA or IDEA for now, but on idea's forums people told that there is no support for freeBSD. Really funny how developers of such product easily break the main idea of JAVA "create once run everywhere", at least our school thought something like this =)
Oracle Java does not exist for FreeBSD use openjdk instead.

I am using Intellij 2021.3.2 (I raised a PR to update the port / package) on FreeBSD 13 using OpenJDK11 for the IDE and java. You cannot use anything newer than JDK11 for the IDE.

It runs okay, but at least for me, I have a few problems:
1. I cannot accurately debug, the debugger does not match variables up properly, so the value for one is in the value for another, very weird
2. Perhaps my project structure is abnormal, but I cannot build or run directly in intellij. Instead, I build and run on the cmdline (either a stand-alone terminal or the embedded one) using standard java -jar syntax.

The above 2 issues are pretty serious and limiting because it makes it very challenging to write Java code if you cannot effectively debug.

EDIT:
1. I can accurately debug, I'm not sure what changed or how it was broken in the first place
2. I can run unit tests at least directly in Intellij

Last edited:
Back