Solved Tried to replace da0 in RAIDZ2, now server won't boot. (Ended up rebuilding OS install.)

Hello! I have a lot of background info of my setup here, but the short version is:

FreeBSD 12.2 server, RAIDZ2 with 5 disks in a RAIDZ2. I just tried to replace drive da0, and now my server won't boot.

I'm sure I set this all up wrong, but I hope someone can help me recover.

Earlier, I was trying to make sure each drive had boot info on it and did
Code:
# gpart bootcode -b /boot/pmbr -p /boot/gptzfsboot -i 1 daX
for each drive (replace daX with da1-4).

While the server was running fine, I did:
Code:
# zpool offline zjrr da0p3

Then I did a
Code:
shutdown -p now
and swapped the disk. (I've tried hotswapping a few times, but had pretty disastrous results.)

Now I'm seeing:
Code:
ZFS: i/o error - all block copies unavailable
Invalid format
Invalid format

Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/x86 boot
Default: zjrr/ROOT/default:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

Can't find /boot/kernel/kernel

FreeBSD/x85 boot
Default: zjr/ROOT/default:/boot/kernel/kernel
boot:

and I have no idea how to recover from here. I (clearly incorrectly, hah) thought that the boot information would be on each of the other drives.

I'd greatly appreciate any help that anyone can offer!

gptzfsboot may not understand z2 redundancy
also default should be /boot/loader ?
you may try to boot from external media and resilver the pool

Thanks for the tips!

Try putting back the old drive and check if the system boots normaly.
I did try putting da0 back in and still had no joy.

After thinking about troubleshooting it, I decided to rebuild the box. It's just a personal machine; nothing critical. I installed a pair of 250 GB SSDs in a RAID1, reinstalled the OS, and loaded the pool with an altroot ( zpool import -f -o altroot=/somelocation zjrr) and all my data is safe. I still need to replace the drive and resilver, but this was a long overdue rebuild. Next time I'll learn the proper way to repair this... but I suspect I was going to load up a live USB stick and rebuild the /boot partition for all the drives.

Which commands did you use and what results did it produce?

When I tried hotplugging, I had done zfs offline daX, then just plugged a new drive in to the raid controller (which is an LSI 9211-8i with the firmware for just using it as a controller). The system just kind of... locked up, I believe. I hadn't gotten to the point of trying commands.

Back