Thread disappears from "what's new" if an ignored member replies to it.

If the thread was begun by someone who is ignored, did you begin watching the thread (as a subject of interest) before ignoring the person?

If the thread is watched by you and was begun by someone who is ignored by you, does the thread appear in your list of watched threads?

… I click on "view more".

Where exactly does this button appear? A screenshot will help. Thanks.

If the thread was begun by someone who is ignored, did you begin watching the thread (as a subject of interest) before ignoring the person?
Thread was not started by someone who is ignored. They merely replied to any thread, regardless of whether it's a watched thread.
If the thread is watched by you and was begun by someone who is ignored by you, does the thread appear in your list of watched threads?
No idea. I don't see and therefore do not watch threads started by an ignored member.
Where exactly does this button appear? A screenshot will help. Thanks.
Screenshot_2021-07-29 What's new.png

Thanks.

Now I realise, I was blind to the What's new button because …
1627607437415.png

… a red alert for more than two thousand of anything is a turn-off :-/

I have 3018... Stop wasting so much time here! I kid, I kid.

I've never paid attention to that number. I just stop reading at "Threads below have not been updated since your last visit."

Jose it might help to understand the design of XenForo if perspectives such as these can be taken:
  • preferring to ignore a person means that we're genuinely disinterested in that person's content (regardless of whether it's new)
  • preferring to ignore a person means that their contribution, to a topic of interest, is probably valueless to us (see below).
Generally, for anyone who wonders about the ignore feature of XenForo:

It's annoying that people you don't care about can make threads you do care about disappear from "What's new".

Workarounds

Any/all of the following:
The menu:

1644257083790.png

𠄓– discreetly Solved, three months ago, when I realised that it's not a bug, it's a feature, and it's entirely proper.

Valueless?

I ask myself the simplest possible question: is content likely to have a positive influence, or a negative influence, on my day? Simple, only two possible answers and if the answer is negative then I'll either (a) casually or (b) methodically ignore the offender's content. XenForo allows a methodical, fairly dispassionate approach.

Whilst value is debatable, at least one thing is certain:
  • XenForo must not override my preference to ignore a person's content
no alert is correct.

Debate

Wherever you choose to debate: if it's a FreeBSD project-managed space, please observe the FreeBSD Community Code of Conduct. Thanks.

Just stop ignoring people. :rolleyes:
We're the same community and we should listen to each other.
Welcome to my ignore list... I kid, I kid.

Systematic ways of ignoring obnoxious people are strictly necessary on the Internet, and they're nothing new. The Usenet had killfiles, and they were indispensable.

My kill file mostly has trolls in it and people with an ax to grind who show up to bomb some thread they probably heard about on Reddit. Stony indifference is Kryptonite to a troll, but it's awfully hard to ignore a good troll. Baiting you into a replying is the essence of trolling. I use machines to help me with lots of hard things, and this is one of them. Nothing can beat the stony indifference of a computer.

The ax grinders are easy to spot. They'll have a few dozen posts and only in one or two threads. It's unlikely they'll say anything new or interesting, so it's safe to ignore them.

There are a few people who have managed to get on there because the signal-to-noise ratio of their posts is very poor. Some are so bizarre that they seem not even wrong to me. It's very unlikely I could have a meaningful conversation with such a person. Others are only broadcasting and not receiving. They will sometimes ask questions, but don't really ever consider any answers. Interesting conversations are also highly unlikely to happen with this group as well.

I occasionally browse the forum without logging in and get too see what I've been missing. I like my view into the forum better.

I use the internet for more than 30 years and never ignored people.

I see it like Sun Tzu wrote in The Art of War:
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles.
If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat.
If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.

Its better to know each other even if the other guy is a troll.

And again, I'm not a fan of military metaphors. I'm not here to fight with anyone. I'm here to talk about things and learn something if I'm lucky. Maybe even help someone on occasion.

Fights do break out sometimes, and they can even be positive if everyone stays civil.

… For years I have been trying to figure out a way to improve the quality of our conduct, not just for my own communities, but as people in general, both on and offline.

Having explored this in great depth, and seeking the counsel of many others whose work I respect, the idealist in me has sadly come to the conclusion that there simply is no silver bullet to solve this problem. Fortunately, there are indeed lots of things that we can do to significantly move the needle in demanding fairer, more respectful discourse, irrespective of the opinions and ideas of those involved. …

The idealist in me loves everything about the book.

Realistically, in the absence of the silver bullet above: it's swiftest, politest, best for all concerned for me to use the tools here.

For the two most notable tools:

It's not my style to report content to moderators. … <https://forums.freebsd.org/account/ignored> is more effective, and does not waste the time of moderators.

Beyond those two options:

Some offensive content, I ignore and do not report. It's my quiet barometer of whether FreeBSD Forums is generally a nice place to be. The one most offensive item, which might result in suspension or a ban if reported, was liked by: no-one. This tells me that ☑ most people here are nice.

To the many nice people: thank you for swinging the needle of this barometer 🌻

Just stop ignoring people. :rolleyes:
We're the same community and we should listen to each other.
Yepp, that's it.
A group, just like an organism, is a systemic entity, and has self healing capabilities.

The usenet needed killfiles? Just look what has become of usenet.

So, if you need a killfile, the group is ill - better leave it.
If you need moderators to censor the content, the group is ill - better leave it.

There certainly is a need to increase positivity. Therefore, don't talk about brokenness and malfunctioning. Bugs are negative. If something is malfunctioning, don't mention it anywhere. If you found a bug, keep it to yourself - nobody is interested in negative stuff.

We understand that this is the exact opposite to German engineer's work. The latter is all about negativity; it is all about things that do not yet work properly. Because those that do already work properly, they don't need engineering attention. And nice people don't make me a better engineer, while critical feedback does.

But this is no longer proper today. Today, we do no longer want to see our mistakes and learn from them. We want to be positive. And, certainly, we don't want to do engineering - because that's better done by Microsoft and Amazon.

This like is only a ¾ like because i don't agree on the bugs.
Talking about bugs and brokenness may hurt but the pain will eventually turn into something good.

So, if you need a killfile, the group is ill - better leave it.
If you need moderators to censor the content, the group is ill - better leave it.
I don't think it's quite that black and white. A group can be mostly healthy and still have a little sickness in it

There certainly is a need to increase positivity. Therefore, don't talk about brokenness and malfunctioning. Bugs are negative. If something is malfunctioning, don't mention it anywhere. If you found a bug, keep it to yourself - nobody is interested in negative stuff.
I think you're taking what I said too far. I don't like to fight, and I do not see the people I ignore as enemies. This does not mean that I only want rainbows and unicorns, though. I do wind up fighting more than I would like, and sometimes it's even useful.

No worries mate. We are only here to hand out the participation trophies. And some times some vacation for most notable content ;)
And to randomly take down the forum for three days. You're just a nuisance, really. (I'm kidding, in case it's not obvious.)

Back