The Merits of Social Media in this Pandemic

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is no point in talking to a new account until they leave at least one message on a technical topic ;)

Thanks, point taken - this looks like, well, hm...

We should understand that "fake news" is an agitation term, used to discredit the viewpoints of the respective other side.
Social media is a semantic territory, and it's all about propaganda, about dominion over that territory - consequentially every party states that they are reputable and the others would propagate "fake news".

Now if you would still talk to other people, in the real world, you might get some glimpse about what is sensible, some glimpse of realism, that gives you a base to evaluate what you read. But as a zombie npc attached to your gadget, you are only Stützmasse for the respective parties.

In my university time, I would sometimes go to the library and read the international press to one topic. {Asian, London, NewYork} Times, The Guardian (fishwrap these days). Some paper from Singapore. Cross reference that with the local sources (dpa,...) and you are surprised.

But news from social media? That is a pool of anecdotes, sung by the grape vine in the wind.

Just yesterday, NBC "news" reported something they learned about an event from a Facebook post. A Facebook post?! One post?!!
That sounds dodgy indeed. But I'm pretty sure news media made similar idiotic reports 10-20 years ago. You just don't remember any of them. Memory is selective and can easily be warped over time.

I agree with most of the sentiment here but I do think social media has widened the scope of reporting.
Take the Beriut explosion for example.
There were no less than 6 different videos posted by citizens of the horrific explosion.
All posted by ordinary joes.
So I agree that mass media is doing very little fact finding these days but I do see some merit to citizen reporting.
What bothers me about media is how they insert video of a prior event and talk over it like it was the event.

Take the Beriut explosion for example.
There were no less than 6 different videos posted by citizens of the horrific explosion.
All posted by ordinary joes.
I had actually seen some before any of the news outlets reported on the explosion. On the other hand, I've also seen quite a lot of fakes posted right after the news broke. Mostly conspiracy type innuendo. And at some point it becomes really difficult to differentiate between what's real and what is fake.

All media ("newspapers", news agencies (those who feed newpapers), television, radio, ++) are biased, and have been so for more than 30 years. If you are lucky, a news source will tell you up front what kind of bias it has (political, social, economic, etc). If not, you have to figure it out yourself.

The problem today is that with so many news sources, and most of them competing for advertising money to survive, the quality of the "news articles" or "reports" they produce and the quality of the work done (research, verification of sources, checking for alternative views) goes downhill very fast. You can see this in many ways, one example is how often some "serious media" gets tricked into running a prank / fake story made up by some artist or activist.

So every interested citizen has a larger burden of work on hers/his shoulders; separating real news from fake, wrong, "misreported" or simply just spam.
Good luck, everyone!

I'm pretty sure news media made similar idiotic reports 10-20 years ago.
And you got fired for it.

There was a story about a photographer for a news organization (CBS?), years ago, who re-positioned a sign of some sort so it would give him a better shot with the background he was interested in. He was immediately fired for influencing the story.

The serious newsmen, when I worked there, were required to have at least two authoritative sources for any information they wanted to run with and that was pretty common (see the movie "All the President's Men").

All media ("newspapers", news agencies (those who feed newpapers), television, radio, ++) are biased, and have been so for more than 30 years.
Well, they have been biased since time immemorial. There is no getting around that. Everyone is. It's how the editorial staff handle a reporter's story that can correct that, admittedly with their own biases injected. Again, there is no way around that but some do better than others. That's how a news organization gains respect.

Same with TV.
Quality is constant, it is just spread over more stations/papers/channels...

Reactions: a6h
Look at who owns the media, this information is public.
The media are not biased, they do very efficiently the job for which they are paid.
And those who pay are their shareholders, not the public.

The media are not biased, they do very efficiently the job for which they are paid.
When I say biased, I mean that they do more than report news based on the information they have; they want to tell a story with an "angle", so they speculate, or interview "experts" to speculate on the meaning of, or reason for a news event. If they were unbiased, they would report what they knew as facts, and not speculate.

When I say biased, I mean that they do more than report news based on the information they have; they want to tell a story with an "angle", so they speculate, or interview "experts" to speculate on the meaning of, or reason for a news event. If they were unbiased, they would report what they knew as facts, and not speculate.

Yes, and you feel uncomfortable about it and that's fine. :)

Now, try and adopt a different perspective: look at the impact their way of presenting things has not on yourself, but on average Joe.
Don't limit yourself to the news, also study the impact of films, reality shows, talk shows and the rest.

Pay a particular attention to the emotions in the audience.
It's easy, emotions translate by definition into muscular tensions (movements, facial expression and so on), which will resonate in your body and mind.

Don't you begin to see some congruence in your observations of the average Joe?
Well, that's what the media get paid for: shaping our society.
You may not like what they do, but be sure that they do it well in the eyes of their shareholders.

Understanding why shareholders pay for these services is another story and we can only partially succeed in this endeavor.

I think it's unhealthy to post political and/or religious matters on a forum about software. I wish the COVID issue didn't have to take on becoming a political issue, but it did. I've tried posting things on such topics on other forums in the past and it didn't pan well. Now when I post anything political, I make sure it's stuff that not only are my opinion but most people can agree with, and keep it balanced to avoid quarrels, and I am one of those many people who have both seen and acknowledge there is a lot of fake news being spread around whether the news source is left or right wing doesn't matter. It's everywhere. It makes situations like this global pandemic confusing as crap to know who to trust, and I think we can all agree on that one for the most part. Just my two cents, trust a news source that has the least evidence for being liars, and don't go by their political views on unrelated topics on whether you should trust them about COVID.

As for the topic at hand, a lot of people have been swayed by social media as of late. There are a lot of people I know that used to lean conservative but no longer do because of recent news being spread, mostly on social media. Whether that news is true or not I'll leave it to the discernment of the viewer, it's not my place to try to convince anyone of anything or argue my way into thinking I've proven something.

Well, that's what the media get paid for: shaping our society.
I don't entirely agree with that but I do agree with your point. All of media--television, radio, film--is now owned by a limited few companies. A lot of the people within these companies are very liberal people. (My son is a professional actor who owned a theatre company, appeared in films and commercials, knows a lot of people you've heard of,etc.). The plays and films they present are often to tell a story. Sometimes in an attempt to change your mind about how you should think about other people or the world (racism, pollution, sexism, all that). One of the most profitable and much talked about plays he put on was one with a political agenda. It attracted that type of person and sold out every night. Was written about in all the papers with great reviews. Some of the actors were thrilled because it promoted their beliefs.

If you watch all of news, you'll see each network has a similar agenda based on profit. In the past, network news was a separate division of the entertainment arm. The news department did not concern itself with profit but that changed about 25 years ago when CBS, I think, abandoned that and moved it into the programming department, thus making it a profit making division.

Listen to the news anchors. How often do you hear them giving their opinion on a story or the events they present? "The awful thing done by one group to another!", they'll say. The heartbreaking story they're about to tell you. And so on.

Reactions: a6h

Well yes, but, as others have also stated here, this already happens for a long time. If they make a report about some exotic region which I happened to have travelled, they create a certain specific story about it (which may not have much to do with what you might find there on average). If they make a report about some special people, lets say Wiccans Beltaine festival, they are looking for sex orgy - when they did make report about hackers, they didn't care about ethics or security, but wanted to have some spectacular break-in.
So there are three lines: first, it has to be something that catches the readers/watchers, so it has to be spectacular or exaggerated. Second, it has to be in-line with the political bias of the respective media (one can find these out).

And third, there is a couple of fairytales our whole culture has commonly agreed to believe in. For instance, before christmas, when all the charity organizations collect money, they usually advertize their business with a picture of an african baby. So what does that mean: that african baby is obviousely not considered as a human individual with a dignity, instead it is merely an icon to transfer a message, it is a simple glyph with the meaning "poverty". I tend to call that abuse. And travelled part of Africa, and what I have seen is a lot more, and a lot more differentiated than the storyline usually brought up in the media - the latter most often only circulating around how helpless the people there are and how dependent on our help (=money).
I think this is something that is intended to be commonly believed by the news consumers. And tentatively I might go as far as assuming this might be a remainder of colonialism viewpoints: now the Africans are no longer considered as countries that can simply be annexed and exploited because they would be too stupid to manage their own, but still are considered as dependent on our gratitude because too stupid to manage their own.
So this is an example for imagery, storylines that go thru almost all the media, and still may not be fully true or even ethically questionable.

Just my two cents, trust a news source that has the least evidence for being liars [...]
There's a problem with the term evidence. What is evidence and what is not, for the most part, is depend on definition. It's vary from one filed of study to another, between different papers, ... If you have time to spare, read this article, I enjoyed it. The Nature of “Evidence” in Qualitative Research Methods
[...] but nothing reasonable from Google. Go figure.
Just my opinion: Bing produces better search result on two specific items:
1. Searching for images, either keyword, or similar photo (upload)
2. Finding and skimming news headlines on a chronological order.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back