The Laptop/Notebook thread

Thanks for the advices,

Any suggestions on SAMSUNG NC10? Looks nice.

Only problem I could think of is the WLAN?

/empty

Can anyone please recomend any notebook with screen near 13', with weight maximum 2 kg, with 3d acceleration and which runs freebsd without any problem.

@vasili111

Lenovo X300 mate.

For 12" it will be HP 2510p.

If X4500 and Intel 5100 WiFi are also supported, then Dell E4300.

Toshiba A300 25K

Core 2 Duo Prozessor T6400 2GHz
4 Gb RAM
Intel WiFi 5100
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

One of these "all in one" chipsets except the Graphics chip.

FreeBSD 7.2

Works fine. Just didn't tried the wifi but this should be possible with ndiswrapper.

vasili111 said:
Can anyone please recomend any notebook with screen near 13', with weight maximum 2 kg, with 3d acceleration and which runs freebsd without any problem.

How are you going to tote around a 13' laptop? :pP

If you mean 13", I would suggest one of the smaller thinkpads. Awesome machines.

rghq said:
Toshiba A300 25K

Core 2 Duo Prozessor T6400 2GHz
4 Gb RAM
Intel WiFi 5100
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650

One of these "all in one" chipsets except the Graphics chip.

All in one?

Its CPU(1) + North Bridge(2) + Replacable WIFI 5100 Card(3) + ATI Graphics(4) + 2 Sticks of RAM(6), where do you see "all in one" in that 6 parts?

Its the same hardware as Dell or IBM, but only with much less good CPU in Toshiba.

vermaden said:
where do you see "all in one" in that 6 parts?

Sorry - I'm used to other computers where every single part gets bought and assembled one by one ;)
Though the hardware itself is working with FreeBSD, even OpenSolaris causes no problems except connecting to WPA2 networks with the WiFi

Hi PegMonster ,

I have Asus Asus V6800V tested with FreeBSD versions: 5.3.

*XFree86: 1024x768
*APM: Unknown
*ACPI: Not working / Broken
*PC-Card: Partially working
*Cardbus: Partially working

If ACPI enabled, the keyboard and touchpad are not working since the acpi.ko says it is loading.
However, while the kernel contains ACPI for ASUS option, the bluetooth button (and bluetooth recognition, btw) works. That is, the system is fully functional except for the keyboard and touchpad.
With ACPI disabled option, everything runs smoothly except for the ACPI functions.
With PC-Card the system says that it can see only the 16-bit PC card bus.
The cardbus device is found OK.
The same is with 5.4-RC2. :)

Dell Inspiron 5100
Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz
1GB RAM
Ati mobility radeon 7500
I successfully dual booted FreeBSD7.2 with WinXp/sp3pro
Ethernet works
Audio works
kde4 looks amazing
synaptics touchpad << isn't working
I've tried what is recommended here
here and here
guide seems too old i cant really get much from it
I'm also attempting to set my wifi with this guide as i got exactly that same wificard
http://www.earthtrax.com/Documents/InstallingWirelessFreeBSD.htm however i haven't been able to resolve the wpa_supplicant issue
Right now my priority is to successfully get the touchpad to work i might try to use a usb mouse tomorrow but until then any help will be greatly appreciated

allright i fixed it by following the guides more closely now the synoptics touchpad fully works but only when im in sysinstall.
it doesnt works in kde4.
i enable the daemon exit sysinstall on console i go startx and mouse doesnt move...
weird im going to check the kde on freebsd website will bring more feedback if i fix this thing thanks

"mouse"
"psm0"
you can search for an xorg.conf with those two parameters
Code:
 kill 2 `pgrep mous`
that might fix it when you have the mouse working in TTY before X
Forty percent chance (guesswork on my part) that would solve
you touchpad problem...

Hi, I've been a member allready and reading some but now my first post :)

Packard Bell EASYNOTE SJ51-B-042

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-55
RAM 3 GB DDR2
nVidia GeForce 7000M
LCD 17" TFT WXGA 1440x900
Synaptics Touchpad
1 OCZ SSD Hard Disk 30 GB (System)
1 Seagate 160 GB (/usr/home/)

FreeBSD 7.2 with Gnome, installed PCBSD before but KDE is just not for me.

To do: WLAN, virtual scrolling from the touchpad and someday maybe the webcam.
Did not test Sleep and hibernate because I never use those features

Everything else is working, including Compiz and Flash.

Compaq Armada E500

Compaq Armada E500
Pentium III 900 Mhz
512 Mb Memory
D-Link 802.11g atheros chipset PCMCIA wireless adapter
OptoRite DVD burner
80GB hard drive

FreeBSD 7.0-Stable works fine on this laptop.
FreeBSD 7.1-Stable works fine on this laptop.
FreeBSD 7.2-Stable and 7.2-Release hve so far prevented me from bringing up a desktop, unless I unplug the D-Link adapter.

Here's what happens for gnome2 (gnome_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf):

When gdm starts up, I get 'interrupt storm detected on "irq11:";throttling interrupt source' so frequently that it overwhelms my I/O, and I have to power off the laptop manually. Even CTRL-ALT-DELETE can't get through. The problem goes away if I remove the D-link adapter before booting, and then insert it after the laptop has booted. This is NOT the best thing to do to this laptop, as it tends to cause the machine to reboot.

Here's what happens for xdm with xfce4 in the .xinitrc, and with kdm (added to the ttyv8 line of /etc/ttys):

The login prompt comes up, but I have no keyboard or mouse input. I used the default devices created in /etc/X11/xorg.conf by "Xorg -configure".

I initially discovered these problems when I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.2 using sysinstall, but I get them same result doing a fresh install. It's especially annoying since 7.0 and 7.1 worked so well with my laptop.

I don't yet have workarounds for any of the above, but will repost if and when, in the fullness of time, I do.

I was able to get my Compaq Armada E500 mouse and keyboard working with xfce and kdm, using information in the sticky at the top of the FreeBSD X.org forum, but that only resulted in the interrupt storm's appearing with xfce and kdm, instead of just with gdm. I've gone over to PCBSD, and will maybe try OpenBSD next.

Sony VAIO VGN-NR430D. FreeBSD (6.x-8.0RC1), PCBSD, RoFreeSBIE all print something like this:
Code:
RAM parity error, likely hardware failure.
Fatal trap 19: non-maskable interrupt trap while in kernel mode
cpuid=0; apic id = 00
instruction pointer    = 0x20:0xc05c9106
stack pointer          = 0x28:0xc1020a58
frame pointer          = 0x28:0xc1020a6c
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                       = DPL 0, pres 1, def32, gran 1
processor eflags       = interrupt enabled, IOPL = 0
current process        = 0 (swapper)
trap number            = 19
panic: non-maskable interrupt trap
cpuid = 0
Uptime: 1s
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds....
Smells like a WINLAPTOP though it runs Linux fine.

Did it recently but who knows... Anyway I wish I could try again but it's actually my wife's laptop and she is in trip. I'll post update later.
So far thanks for idea:)

Well, I just realized that last time I've made software only update.
I can't find out how to update bios on this laptop. There is no updated roms in their "repos", no even proper specifications. Very likely no bios updates at all. It's even won't officially support Win7 what to say about FreeBSD. So I must make a correction: it's not a winlaptop it's THEVISTALAPTOP.
Hard to believe that it's VAIO...though what to expect for $600?

Just curious -- has anyone tried to get inking features working on a tablet? I have a Lenovo X61T, and I had intended to install FBSD as a VM in Win7. However, if good inking features are available I *may* reconsider.

IBM used to be the brand to beat (the real manufacturer was Quanta). Nowadays here Lenovo does not sell laptops without bundled Windows, so for me they are out of question. Maybe things are different in Belgium.
My next lappy comes from http://www.powernotebooks.com.

I haven't been disappointed by the HP Compaq I have, but it is rather pricey. Don't go for the cheap HP stuff (Pavilion, and such).

BTW, I think we had a rather lengthy thread about this already.

Found it, merged in.

DutchDaemon said:
I haven't been disappointed by the HP Compaq I have, but it is rather pricey. Don't go for the cheap HP stuff (Pavilion, and such).

BTW, I think we had a rather lengthy thread about this already.

Found it, merged in.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Asus (tightly followed by Toshiba) had the least hardware failures. HP was among the worst. I guess the Pavilion is responsible for this.
Another conclusion was that in most cases price is inversely proportional to the failure rate.

Speedy said:
IBM used to be the brand to beat (the real manufacturer was Quanta). Nowadays here Lenovo does not sell laptops without bundled Windows, so for me they are out of question. Maybe things are different in Belgium.
My next lappy comes from http://www.powernotebooks.com.

Toshiba seems to have some laptops with OpenSolaris preinstalled.
That's the biggest problem I have with purchasing a new laptop: they're always shipped with Windows, so that means that I'm forced to pay for something I will not use. Maybe I should file a complaint with the EU commission. Just like with IE, people should have the free choice in selecting their OS. And this is currently not the case.

Back