The big GNOME 3 install/upgrade topic

I cannot get the gnome desktop. When trying to start GNOME all I get is a a black screen.
New system with fresh install:
Code:
uname -a
FreeBSD DESKTEST 11.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Aug  9 11:55:48 UTC 2017 2017     root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  amd64

I have tried both installing GNOME pkg install and also from ports
xorg-7.7_3
gnome3-3.18.0

Code:
cat /root/.xinitrc
exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
startx

xauth:  file /root/.serverauth.5084 does not exist

X.Org X Server 1.18.4

Release Date: 2016-07-19

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

Build Operating System: FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE-p13 amd64

Current Operating System: FreeBSD DESKTEST 11.1-RELEASE-p1 FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p1 #0: Wed Aug  9 11:55:48 UTC 2017    root@amd64-builder.daemonology.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Build Date: 19 October 2017  09:03:10AM

Current version of pixman: 0.34.0

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org

to make sure that you have the latest version.

Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,

(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Tue Oct 31 21:21:21 2017

(==) Using default built-in configuration (39 lines)

scfb trace: probe start

scfb trace: probe done

failed to set mtrr: Invalid argument

gnome-session-is-accelerated: llvmpipe detected.

gnome-session-binary[5100]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Unable to lookup session information for process '5100'

gnome-session-binary[5100]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Unable to lookup session information for process '5100'

gnome-session-binary[5100]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file xscreensaver.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary

GNOME_KEYRING_CONTROL=/root/.cache/keyring-DWDX8Y

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/root/.cache/keyring-DWDX8Y/ssh

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/root/.cache/keyring-DWDX8Y/ssh

** (gnome-settings-daemon:5122): WARNING **: Ignoring unknown module 'org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.orientation'

(gnome-settings-daemon:5122): media-keys-plugin-WARNING **: Unable to inhibit keypresses: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.freedesktop.login1 was not provided by any .service files

** (gnome-settings-daemon:5122): WARNING **: Unable to register client: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Connection failure: Connection refused

pa_context_connect() failed: Connection refused

gnome-session-binary[5100]: WARNING: App 'pulseaudio.desktop' exited with code 1

(SCREEN IS BLACK)

Code:
also tried:

cat /root/.xsession
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session

startx

( I do get the login screen where I can select a username and enter a password but after entering the password the screen goes black, except for the mouse cursor)

Code:
cat .xinitrc
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 --with-ck-launch
startx

Xcfe4 works as documented.

Motherboard is SuperMicro X10SRM-F with onboard video, video chipset: Aspeed AST2400 BMC

Monitor is 15” NEC MultiSync LCD1700M+

I had a machine for the life of me I could not get get GNOME3 working on. So I bought an NVIDIA video card, loaded the driver, and poof, GNOME3 easy peezy stock install.

Remove startx from ~/.xinitrc. If the exec is successful commands after it will never be reached. If the exec fails however you could end up in an endless loop ( startx executes ~/.xinitrc which runs startx which executes ~/.xinitrc, which runs startx, etc. etc. )

Remove startx from ~/.xinitrc. If the exec is successful commands after it will never be reached. If the exec fails however you could end up in an endless loop ( startx executes ~/.xinitrc which runs startx which executes ~/.xinitrc, which runs startx, etc. etc. )

Sorry my post was not clear. I usually run from root and the prompt is "#" which is also the comment character so I removed the prompts. startx was typed as a single separate command and is not part of the the .xinitrc file.
Code:
DESKTEST ~#cat .xinitrc
#exec /usr/local/bin/gnome-session
exec /usr/local/bin/startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

DESKTEST ~#startx

I had a machine for the life of me I could not get get GNOME3 working on. So I bought an NVIDIA video card, loaded the driver, and poof, GNOME3 easy peezy stock install.

I was also thinking that it is a video card issue. As I understand it Aspeed chipset is supported (ast_drv).

I loaded multimedia/vlc and when I try and load a file using vlc within xfce I get:
Code:
VLC media player 2.2.6 Umbrella (revision 2.2.6-0-g1aae78981c)
[000000080243d050] core libvlc: Running vlc with the default interface. Use 'cvlc' to use vlc without interface.
[00000008025a4650] oss audio output error: cannot open OSS device /dev/dsp: No such file or directory
[00000008025a4650] core audio output error: module not functional
[0000000818843150] core decoder error: failed to create audio output
Failed to open VDPAU backend Shared object "libvdpau_nvidia.so" not found, required by "vlc"
Failed to open VDPAU backend Shared object "libvdpau_nvidia.so" not found, required by "vlc"
[0000000827a1f210] xcb_xv vout display error: unknown XVideo RGB format 0 ()
(EE) [mi] EQ overflowing.  Additional events will be discarded until existing events are processed.
(EE)
(EE) Backtrace:
(EE) 0: /usr/local/bin/X (mieqEnqueue+0x1fb) [0x588ffb]
(EE) 1: /usr/local/bin/X (QueuePointerEvents+0x4b) [0x44e84b]
(EE) 2: /usr/local/bin/X (xf86PostMotionEvent+0x121) [0x48aad1]
(EE) 3: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so (_init+0x5533) [0x80e2126d3]
(EE) 4: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so (_init+0x26f3) [0x80e20cc83]
(EE) 5: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/input/mouse_drv.so (_init+0x1610) [0x80e20ace0]
(EE) 6: /usr/local/bin/X (xf86AddEnabledDevice+0x58) [0x47c708]
(EE) 7: /usr/local/bin/X (xf86InstallSIGIOHandler+0x347) [0x49f487]
(EE) 8: /lib/libthr.so.3 (_pthread_sigmask+0x536) [0x8025cbd86]
(EE) 9: /lib/libthr.so.3 (_pthread_getspecific+0xe5f) [0x8025cbbef]
(EE) 10: ? (?+0xe5f) [0x7ffffffffe62]
(EE) 11: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ast_drv.so (_init+0xd62) [0x806303c32]
(EE) 12: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ast_drv.so (_init+0x115b) [0x8063042ab]
(EE) 13: /usr/local/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ast_drv.so (_init+0x5b6e) [0x80630d2ce]
and xfe locks up so I have to reboot. I have not configured a nvidia card so I do not understand why it is looking for nvidia.

I am following your lead, I just ordered an NVIDIA card and will try that.

Hello
I am trying to get Gnome3 running on my Dell Precision T3600. I get the OOPS error message error message.
I am using xterm/ I have had no luck starting Gnome3 since.. Gnome 3 ran once, and I have not been able to get it running since. I have xterm running now.
Gnome 3 runs well on my other Dell T3600 I have Ubuntu 17.10 running. I wont post what I think of 17.10. The gdm/session log has some errors listed, like (gnome-settings-daemon:54284: WARNING *** Unable to register client:
Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

I'm pretty sure most people are using this discussion thread for their GNOME3 installation issues; even though most times its more of a case of X and video drivers instead of the actual GNOME3 port installation being awry.

I used FreeBSD over 15 years ago and getting back now. I tried installing on a Lenovo laptop, installed FreeBSD 12-BETA3, got network wireless working and everything fine on shell. I can do a pkg install xorg but pkg install gnome3 does not even get started and gives an error not found. I was able to install pkg install xfce4 but looks like resolution or driver messed up so does not even load. Any tips for Lenovo L450 model to try out FreeBSD.

I am wishing to install MATE on my new install of FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE-p4, but from what I am finding, that won't work...yet.

I installed a desktop as suggested by TriHexagonal, and that went forward to completion easily enough (although it seemed to take forever to install XORG...like 4 hours). Now I want to upgrade the desktop to something with more features, and from what I am reading MATE would be the most logical one to move to.

As I have mentioned, my ultimate goal is to build a desktop and operating system for the computo-klutzes in my family (6 of them) so they can all dump Billy Gates' offerings.

I previously used XFCE and liked it well enough, although it seemed to be a bit "light" in features.

My understanding is that MATE is an "upgrade" of GNOME3, therefore I am posting to this part of the forum in hopes of finding some help with getting MATE configured correctly, if that is possible.

So, am I on the correct part of the forum? If not, where should I be posting questions about MATE?

Thanks,

Ken Gordon

Well!!! I am quite surprised by this, but this morning, I edited my .xinitrc file to include "mate-session exec", and then typed "startx". Lo and behold, MATE started up just fine! My only issue is that when trying to drag an open window which contains xfe it drags very slowly, kinda like it is connected to a bunch of rubber-bands, but eventually stays where I leave it.

Also, all the applications I had previously installed, Firefox, Libreoffice, Thunderbird, etc., work just fine and are listed in the Applications box. In fact, I am listening to Sunday Baroque as I type this.

I feel kind of like I fell into the outhouse and came out smelling like a rose. ;-)

So far, I am finding this to be very nice. More experimentation is planned.

Ken Gordon

I just installed FreeBSD 12.2-RELEASE. I configured the network and now I have installed and configured GNOME 3 as per the handbook, but it does not start at boot. I double checked I followed the configuration sets correctly, everything was done correctly.

Now what?

Back