The big GNOME 3 install/upgrade topic

The point is that one wants to build x11/gnome3
otherwise gdm by itself is worthless.
If you only want a display manager and not x11/gnome3 itself, may be you could chose something that does not need it like x11/slim.

libgdata does
not build.
Could you provide some more information like the related error messages ?

I ran "make config" in all of the intermediate ports and there was nothing there that could avoid the dependency on libgdata

Next time do yourself a favor and use make config-recursive ;) . See the Chapter 5.5 of the Handbook.

The build of libgdata fails shortly after g-ir-scanner emits
a syntax error on /usr/include/runetype.h, a header file that
contains an inline function definition (which is perfectly fine,
because it is an inline function). I hope that the proximity
of the error message and the failure of the build is a
coincidence, because it is truly, truly, moronic to make a
build depend on successfull introspection of a header file.
Incidentally, I took the function definition out of runetype.h
(a file with a name ending in ".h") and put it into runetype-jfs.c
(a file with a name ending in ".c") which runetype.h now
includes. It made no bloody difference, g-ir-scanner still emits
the error message and libgdata still fails to build.
Sorry, I am not smart enough to understand that part ;).

By the way, are you sure x11/xorg works properly before pushing further with x11/gnome3 or x11/gdm.

Also, please have a look to this thread before writing your next post : Thread formatting-guidelines.49535 (and edit that one if possible).

Here is the actual build error message,as requested:

Code:
===>  Building for libgdata-0.16.1
gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
gmake  all-recursive
gmake[2]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
Making all in .
gmake[3]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
  GISCAN  gdata/GData-0.0.gir
/usr/include/runetype.h:94: syntax error, unexpected '{', expecting ',' or ';' in 'static __inline const _RuneLocale *__getCurrentRuneLocale(void) {' at '{'
Command '['/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect2HwP_R/GData-0.0', '--introspect-dump=/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect2HwP_R/functions.txt,/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect2HwP_R/dump.xml']' returned non-zero exit status -11
/usr/local/share/gobject-introspection-1.0/Makefile.introspection:153: recipe for target 'gdata/GData-0.0.gir' failed
gmake[3]: *** [gdata/GData-0.0.gir] Error 1
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
Makefile:3084: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed
gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
Makefile:1218: recipe for target 'all' failed
gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/devel/libgdata

I backed out my change to /usr/include/runetype.h before running the above; it didn't make a difference anyway, segregating the function definition in a .c file included by the .h file did not avert the error. The compiler, of course, would not care about a function definition in a .h file, because it is an inline function -- for the curious, this is what it looks like, not that I think it matters:
Code:
static __inline const _RuneLocale *__getCurrentRuneLocale(void)
{

if (_ThreadRuneLocale)
  return _ThreadRuneLocale;
  if (_CurrentRuneLocale)
  return _CurrentRuneLocale;
  return &_DefaultRuneLocale;
}
-- but g-ir-scanner chokes, and after g-ir-scanner choked, the build failed; but, as I said, I hope that the proximity of those two events is a coincidence, since it is truly moronic for a build to depend on successful introspection of a header file.

Now, as to whether x11/xorg works -- yes, it certainly does. I can login to ttyv1 and type xinit and get myself a graphical session on v9 ( :1). V8 ( :0), you will recall, is utterly black because of the failed gdm, so my xinit creates a display on v9, but that is an irrelevant detail, if I kill gdm then xinit will create :0 on v8. The point is that Xorg is working just fine.

As to whether I can build x11/slim instead of x11/gnome3, use that as my display manager, and then individually build whatever GNOME3 applications I want, like gnome-terminal -- well, I haven't tried to build x11/slim, but I just rebuilt x11/gnome-terminal, thereby deinstalling gnome-terminal-2.32.1_3 and installing gnome-terminal-3.14.3 -- and when I try to run it from my xinit session, the bloody thing doesn't run. It exits after displaying the following message:

Code:
** (gnome-terminal:97558): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Operating system does not support abstract socket namespace

Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8

So what the devil am I to do about that? Once, I had a functioning gnome-terminal program, and now I haven't.

The point is that one wants to build x11/gnome3
otherwise gdm by itself is worthless.

I am sorry, I misunderstood that part. I thought you only wanted x11/gdm but had to build x11/gnome3 for dependency reasons. So forget about what I said about x11/slim. As for the rest, as far I understood, you modified some files in the /usr/include/ folder in order to make the port to build. Doing this kind of modification is, IMHO, not a good idea and is not the way things should work. But it is far beyond my skills so you will have to wait for a more advised opinion.

x11/gnome3 failed to build -- the specific failure occurred during the build of devel/libgdata. Based on the error message that I saw on the screen shortly before the build failed, I modified /usr/include/runetype.h and re-attempted the build. The build failed in the exact same way as before. I backed out my change to /usr/include/runetype.h and restored it exactly to its former state. Needless to say, the build still fails, in exactly the same way. It had nothing to do with my change to system header files, and the system header files are back to the way they were before.

Attempting then to abandon gdm -- which, upon updating to the latest version, had become completely worthless -- use another display manager, and only build the components of x11/gnome3 that I most needed, like gnome-terminal, I then individually rebuilt gnome-terminal, which now refuses to run -- it, too, has become completely worthless. But there are presumably people who have built x11/gnome3. How did they do it?

(Perhaps you are wondering why I re-built gnome-terminal atall -- why not continue to use the old version? The problem is that the old version, ever since I upgraded all my ports, refused to run at all. It complained about the absence of libpng15.so.15. I had to re-build it, to get it to ink with libpng16.so.16. The libpng15.so.15 file had been removed, thus rendering nonfunctional all the programs that needed it. This is progress. So I rebuilt gnome-terminal. There are now no longer any references to nonexistent shared libraries. The program simply exits as soon as you invoke it, complaining that
Code:
** (gnome-terminal:53964): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to accessibility bus: Operating system does not support abstract socket namespace

Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8
as stated in a previous message. The moral of the story is that you should never, never, never, update your ports tree. It is too late for me, but maybe I can save some of you from making the same mistake.)

As always, thank you in advance for any and all replies.

Jay F. Shachter

The moral of the story is that you should
never, never, never, update your ports tree.

That is not a good advice. The good advice is to always read the UPDATING file after updating the ports tree and before upgrading. You would have seen this message concerning graphics/png (which provides libpng16.so library)
Code:
20141225:
  AFFECTS: users of graphics/png
  AUTHOR: antoine@FreeBSD.org

The PNG library has been updated to version 1.6.16.  Please rebuild all
  ports that depend on it.

If you use portmaster:
  portmaster -r png
  If you use portupgrade:
  portupgrade -fr graphics/png
So my guess is that you upgraded your ports without reading this file and that you have a lot of broken dependencies now. You can check this by installing sysutils/bsdadminscripts and running the pkg_libchk command. If you get a lot of messages, the easiest solution in my eyes is to reinstall everything (I mean the ports not the base system).

-- Edit --
If I am right about your install and you cannot solve the problem, I think you should post in a new thread since it is not a GNOME 3 related problem (or this entire conversation be moved to new thread).

Perhaps there are people who post to this forum without first reading the UPDATING file, and, if such people exist, it is right and proper to tell them to read the file, and no one on this forum should resent being given that advice.

I actually upgraded all of my ports, not just the ones that depend on graphics/png. More precisely, I upgraded as many as I could; I did not upgrade the ones that, like devel/libgdata, fail to build. At first I tried to do this with the portmaster command, specifically, with
Code:
portmaster -fBDyw --no-confirm -a
. The portmaster command, bless its heart, has that
Code:
-w
option, so that updating ports will never leave you with a formerly-functioning gnome-terminal program that no longer functions. But portmaster aborts the moment it discovers that you have asked something of it that it cannot do, saying annoying things like

Code:
===>>> The x11/gnome-panel-reference port has been deleted: GNOME 2 was removed
===>>> Aborting update

Nor does it help if you remove the offending port with
Code:
pkg delete
, because if you do, portmaster will just complain about something else (the above message was produced, for example, after I had already run
Code:
pkg delete
to remove a different port that portmaster had been formerly complaining about). So I used portupgrade instead, which does not abort on failures, it continues doing what it can. If I recall correctly, the specific command was
Code:
portupgrade -afR
, and it only took six days, and surely one can live without one's computer for six days, there are so many good books to read. And portupgrade without the
Code:
-u
option is supposed to behave like portmaster with the
Code:
-w
option, it is supposed to preserve old shared libraries, so I do not know why in bloody heck I lost libpng15.so.15 and ended up with programs like gnome-terminal that could no longer run. But I digress. Out of my approximately 1870 ports there were fewer than 1% that portupgrade failed to build, but then there were about 100 builds that portupgrade skipped, claiming that they depended on ports that had failed to build.

And apparently one of the ports that failed to build was devel/libgdata, thus depriving me of all of x11/gnome3, which is the reason why I came to this forum to ask my learned colleagues for help. Perhaps I need to repeat my question. I have not been able to build devel/libgdata. I have shown you the error message. In fact, let me run
Code:
make V=1
and show you a more verbose error message:

(No, on second thought, I shall not do that, because when I did it, your website did not let me post the message, complaining that it is more than 12500 characters long. I shall show it to you in another message.)

But surely there must be readers of this forum who have successfully built devel/libgdata. How did you do it? What must I do to avert this error and build devel/libgdata successfully?

Jay F. Shachter
jay at m5 dot chicago dot il dot us

Code:
===>  Building for libgdata-0.16.1

gmake[1]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'

gmake  all-recursive

gmake[2]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'

Making all in .

gmake[3]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'

/usr/local/bin/g-ir-scanner  --warn-all --namespace=GData --nsversion=0.0 --libtool="/bin/sh ./libtool"  --include=GObject-2.0 --include=libxml2-2.0 --include=Soup-2.4 --include=Json-1.0 --include=Goa-1.0 --pkg-export=libgdata  --library=gdata/libgdata.la --nsversion=0.0 --symbol-prefix=gdata --c-include="gdata/gdata.h" --cflags-begin -I/usr/local/include/libsoup-2.4 -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/json-glib-1.0 -pthread -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include  -DSOUP_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED=SOUP_VERSION_2_42 -DSOUP_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=SOUP_VERSION_2_48 -DGLIB_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED=GLIB_VERSION_2_32 -DGLIB_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED='(G_ENCODE_VERSION(2, 38))' -DJSON_VERSION_MIN_REQUIRED=JSON_VERSION_1_0 -DJSON_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED=JSON_VERSION_1_0 -I/usr/local/include/gcr-3 -I/usr/local/include/gck-1 -I/usr/local/include/p11-kit-1 -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/goa-1.0 -I/usr/local/lib/goa-1.0/include -pthread -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include  -I. -I./gdata -I./gdata/media -I./gdata/services/documents -I./gdata/services/picasaweb -I./gdata/services/youtube -I./gdata/services/freebase -I./gdata -I./gdata/media -I./gdata/services/picasaweb -I./gdata/services/youtube -I./gdata/services/freebase -DG_LOG_DOMAIN=\"libgdata\"  --cflags-end  gdata/gdata-entry.c gdata/gdata-feed.c gdata/gdata-service.c gdata/gdata-types.c gdata/gdata-query.c gdata/gdata-parser.c gdata/gdata-commentable.c gdata/gdata-comment.c gdata/gdata-access-handler.c gdata/gdata-access-rule.c gdata/gdata-parsable.c gdata/gdata-download-stream.c gdata/gdata-upload-stream.c gdata/gdata-buffer.c gdata/gdata-comparable.c gdata/gdata-batch-operation.c gdata/gdata-batchable.c gdata/gdata-batch-feed.c gdata/gdata-authorizer.c gdata/gdata-authorization-domain.c gdata/gdata-client-login-authorizer.c gdata/gdata-oauth1-authorizer.c gdata/atom/gdata-author.c gdata/atom/gdata-category.c gdata/atom/gdata-generator.c gdata/atom/gdata-link.c gdata/app/gdata-app-categories.c gdata/exif/gdata-exif-tags.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-email-address.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-feed-link.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-im-address.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-organization.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-phone-number.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-postal-address.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-reminder.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-when.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-where.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-who.c gdata/gd/gdata-gd-name.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-calendar.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-event.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-external-id.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-jot.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-language.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-relation.c gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-website.c gdata/georss/gdata-georss-where.c gdata/media/gdata-media-category.c gdata/media/gdata-media-content.c gdata/media/gdata-media-credit.c gdata/media/gdata-media-thumbnail.c gdata/media/gdata-media-group.c gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-service.c gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-calendar.c gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-event.c gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-query.c gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-feed.c gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-service.c gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-contact.c gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-group.c gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-query.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-service.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-feed.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-entry.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-document.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-text.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-presentation.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-spreadsheet.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-folder.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-drawing.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-pdf.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-query.c gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-upload-query.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-album.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-query.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-file.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-service.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-user.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-feed.c gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-comment.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-service.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-video.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-content.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-credit.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-query.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-group.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-state.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-control.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-category.c gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-comment.c gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-service.c gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-tasklist.c gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-task.c gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-query.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-service.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-result.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-search-query.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-search-result.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-topic-query.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-topic-result.c gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-query.c gdata/gdata-goa-authorizer.c gdata/gdata.h gdata/gdata-entry.h gdata/gdata-feed.h gdata/gdata-service.h gdata/gdata-query.h gdata/gdata-commentable.h gdata/gdata-comment.h gdata/gdata-access-handler.h gdata/gdata-access-rule.h gdata/gdata-parsable.h gdata/gdata-download-stream.h gdata/gdata-upload-stream.h gdata/gdata-comparable.h gdata/gdata-batch-operation.h gdata/gdata-batchable.h gdata/gdata-authorizer.h gdata/gdata-authorization-domain.h gdata/gdata-client-login-authorizer.h gdata/gdata-oauth1-authorizer.h gdata/gdata-goa-authorizer.h gdata/gdata-enums.h gdata/gdata-types.h gdata/gdata-version.h gdata/atom/gdata-author.h gdata/atom/gdata-category.h gdata/atom/gdata-generator.h gdata/atom/gdata-link.h gdata/app/gdata-app-categories.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-email-address.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-im-address.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-organization.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-phone-number.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-postal-address.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-reminder.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-when.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-where.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-who.h gdata/gd/gdata-gd-name.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-calendar.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-event.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-external-id.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-jot.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-language.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-relation.h gdata/gcontact/gdata-gcontact-website.h gdata/media/gdata-media-category.h gdata/media/gdata-media-content.h gdata/media/gdata-media-credit.h gdata/media/gdata-media-thumbnail.h gdata/media/gdata-media-enums.h gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-service.h gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-calendar.h gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-event.h gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-query.h gdata/services/calendar/gdata-calendar-feed.h gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-service.h gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-contact.h gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-group.h gdata/services/contacts/gdata-contacts-query.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-service.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-feed.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-entry.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-query.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-document.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-text.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-presentation.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-folder.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-drawing.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-pdf.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-spreadsheet.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-upload-query.h gdata/services/documents/gdata-documents-enums.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-service.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-query.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-file.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-album.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-user.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-feed.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-comment.h gdata/services/picasaweb/gdata-picasaweb-enums.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-service.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-video.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-content.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-credit.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-query.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-state.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-category.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-comment.h gdata/services/youtube/gdata-youtube-enums.h gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-service.h gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-tasklist.h gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-task.h gdata/services/tasks/gdata-tasks-query.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-service.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-result.h gdata/services/freebase

/gdata-freebase-search-query.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-search-result.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-topic-query.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-topic-result.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-query.h gdata/services/freebase/gdata-freebase-enums.h gdata/libgdata.la --output gdata/GData-0.0.gir

/usr/include/runetype.h:94: syntax error, unexpected '{', expecting ',' or ';' in 'static __inline const _RuneLocale *__getCurrentRuneLocale(void) {' at '{'

g-ir-scanner: compile: cc -Wall -Wno-deprecated-declarations -pthread -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/local/include -O2 -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include/goa-1.0 -I/usr/local/lib/goa-1.0/include -I/usr/local/include/gio-unix-2.0 -I/usr/local/include/libsoup-2.4 -I/usr/local/include/libxml2 -I/usr/local/include/json-glib-1.0 -I/usr/local/include/glib-2.0 -I/usr/local/lib/glib-2.0/include -I/usr/local/include -c -o /usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/GData-0.0.o /usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/GData-0.0.c

g-ir-scanner: link: /bin/sh ./libtool --mode=link --tag=CC cc -o /usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/GData-0.0 -export-dynamic -I/usr/local/include -O2 -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing -s -L/usr/local/lib -fstack-protector /usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/GData-0.0.o -L. gdata/libgdata.la -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -Wl,--export-dynamic -lgmodule-2.0 -pthread -L/usr/local/lib -lglib-2.0 -lintl

libtool: link: cc -o /usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/.libs/GData-0.0 -I/usr/local/include -O2 -fstack-protector -fno-strict-aliasing -s -fstack-protector /usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/GData-0.0.o -Wl,--export-dynamic -pthread -Wl,--export-dynamic  -L/usr/local/lib -L. gdata/.libs/libgdata.so /usr/local/lib/libp11-kit.so -lgmodule-2.0 -lsoup-2.4 -ljson-glib-1.0 -lgthread-2.0 -loauth -lgcr-base-3 -lgck-1 -lxml2 -lgoa-1.0 -lgio-2.0 -lgobject-2.0 -lglib-2.0 -lintl -pthread -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/lib

Command '['/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/GData-0.0', '--introspect-dump=/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/functions.txt,/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/tmp-introspect3Q49qN/dump.xml']' returned non-zero exit status -11

/usr/local/share/gobject-introspection-1.0/Makefile.introspection:153: recipe for target 'gdata/GData-0.0.gir' failed

gmake[3]: *** [gdata/GData-0.0.gir] Error 1

gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'

Makefile:3084: recipe for target 'all-recursive' failed

gmake[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'

Makefile:1218: recipe for target 'all' failed

gmake[1]: *** [all] Error 2

gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'

===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.

Perhaps there are people who post to this forum without first reading the UPDATING file, and, if such people exist, it is right and proper to tell them to read the file, and no one on this forum should resent being given that advice.
Your comment on graphics/png port made me think that you did not read it. I apologize if my previous post offended you, it was not intentional.

As far as I am concerned, devel/libgdata build just fine with poudriere(8).
Code:
====>> Building devel/libgdata
build started at Sun Apr 26 10:42:25 CEST 2015
port directory: /usr/ports/devel/libgdata
building for: FreeBSD 10_1-RELEASE-artificier-job-01 10.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p9 amd64
maintained by: kwm@FreeBSD.org
Makefile ident:  $FreeBSD: head/devel/libgdata/Makefile 373802 2014-12-03 09:18:23Z kwm $
Poudriere version: 3.1.4
Host OSVERSION: 1001000
Jail OSVERSION: 1001000
---Begin Environment---
OSVERSION=1001000
UNAME_v=FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p9
UNAME_r=10.1-RELEASE-p9
-----  SNIP -----
===========================================================================
=======================<phase: package  >============================
===>  Building package for libgdata-0.16.1
====>> Cleaning up wrkdir
===>  Cleaning for libgdata-0.16.1
build of devel/libgdata ended at Sun Apr 26 10:44:05 CEST 2015
build time: 00:01:40
So I do not know what is the origin of your error.

As I said in my previous post, may be rebuilding all your ports will save you time and headaches. I use poudriere(8) so I cannot help you with other tools. But if you want to do so with portmaster(8), here is the corresponding thread : Thread rebuilding-all-ports-with-portmaster.51210.

So, you are able to rebuild devel/libgdata. Do you have an inline function definition in /usr/include/runetype.h? That's what I have, in 10.1-RELEASE-p9 (32-bit), and it is causing g-ir-scanner to choke. Are there different versions of /usr/include/runetype.h in the i386 and amd64 versions of FreeBSD? Or different versions of g-ir-scanner? On my system the inline function is at Line 94 of runetype.h and it is named __getCurrentRuneLocale.

Jay F. Shachter
jay at m5 dot chicago dot il dot us

Jay F. Shachter, this problem is likely specific to your environment. When is the last time you updated your installed ports before now? gnome-terminal-2.32.1_3 was updated to gnome-terminal-3.14.1 in November of last year. In addition, this PR 185923 might relate to your problem specifically.

Perhaps the problem is likely specific to my environment, but my question is a simple one, and easily answered: when you rebuild devel/libgdata, does the build process run g-ir-scanner on /usr/include/runetype.h, or does it not? The output on the screen prior to the invocation (unless you invoke make V=1 for more verbose output) is
Code:
And if your build process does invoke g-ir-scanner on /usr/include/runetype.h, does /usr/include/runetype.h contain an inline function definition beginning on line 94, or does it not? Two simple questions, easily answered.

As for my specific environment, I initially installed 10.0-BETA, and recently upgraded to 10.1-RELEASE-p9 with freebsd-update, and updated my ports tree then, and rebuilt my ports, because that's what the manual page says you have to do. Did I update my ports prior to that? Certainly not. I stand by my earlier advice: never, never, never update your ports tree. You always end up with a broken system when you do, and you have to spend days of nonstop labor to get it working again. I haven't told you the latest. Whenever emacs draws a character, it is invisible, until you move the window. It's not just emacs; the same is true of certain programs with menubars -- when you bring up a menu, the characters on the menu are invisible. Then, when you traverse the menu, and pass thru a menu item, causing it to be redrawn, it becomes visible. So, one thinks, maybe this is a problem only with particular fonts, or, perhaps, only in small sizes. I invoke emacs and select "Set Default Font ..." from the Options menu, and I select a different font, and a slightly higher point size (the default size is absurdly small), and then emacs immediately coredumps. I re-invoke it, and select a different font this time, and select a larger point size, maybe the invisible characters have something to do with what the X server does when trying to render very small fonts. But no matter how large I make them, the characters I type are still invisible, until I shake the window. Fortunately, I have xemacs -- which is not a FreeBSD port, that's why it works, I brought over the source and built it myself -- and the characters it draws on the screen are not invisible. If it turns out that I can get emacs to work by updating some library on which it depends, then some other program will break. It's always something.

Two simple questions, easily answered.
Two simple answers then.
does the build process run g-ir-scanner on /usr/include/runetype.h, or does it not?
My building log gives me :
Code:
--- SNIP --
/usr/include/runetype.h:94: syntax error, unexpected '{', expecting ',' or ';' in '{' at '{'
  GICOMP  gdata/GData-0.0.gir
VAPIGEN gdata/libgdata.vapi
  GEN  gdata/libgdata.deps
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
Making all in po
gmake[3]: Entering directory '/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1/po'
  MSGFMT ar.gmo
  MSGFMT as.gmo
  MSGFMT be.gmo
--- SNIP --
So yes it does but despite the syntax error the package still builds fine. From the same log :
Code:
====>> Building devel/libgdata
build started at Sun Apr 26 10:42:25 CEST 2015
port directory: /usr/ports/devel/libgdata
building for: FreeBSD 10_1-RELEASE-artificier-job-01 10.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 10.1-RELEASE-p9 amd64
maintained by: kwm@FreeBSD.org
Makefile ident:  $FreeBSD: head/devel/libgdata/Makefile 373802 2014-12-03 09:18:23Z kwm $
Poudriere version: 3.1.4
Host OSVERSION: 1001000
Jail OSVERSION: 1001000
--- SNIP ---
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/wrkdirs/usr/ports/devel/libgdata/work/libgdata-0.16.1'
====> Compressing man pages (compress-man)
=======================<phase: package  >============================
===>  Building package for libgdata-0.16.1
====>> Cleaning up wrkdir
===>  Cleaning for libgdata-0.16.1
build of devel/libgdata ended at Sun Apr 26 10:44:05 CEST 2015
build time: 00:01:40

does /usr/include/runetype.h contain an inline function definition beginning on line 94, or does it not?

At line 94 and after in my /usr/include/runetype.h file :
Code:
static __inline const _RuneLocale *__getCurrentRuneLocale(void)
{

if (_ThreadRuneLocale)
       return _ThreadRuneLocale;
   if (_CurrentRuneLocale)
       return _CurrentRuneLocale;
   return &_DefaultRuneLocale;
}
So yes it does.

Hello everyone, just joining the GNOME party. I upgraded my system earlier today, and now I have a problem with graphics/colord. The symptom is that colormgr get-profiles no longer shows the installed profiles. I had xiccd compiled from source, but it's now unable to load profiles with the message:
Code:
Unable to find default local directory monitor type
Seems like an issue with glib/gio. Not sure what went wrong.

I have a simple test for it:
Code:
python -c "import gio; print gio.File('/home/').monitor_directory(gio.FILE_MONITOR_NONE, None).is_cancelled()"
This should return a bool on a properly functioning system, but now it returns the above error.

Hi all,
I started upgrading from GNOME 3.14 to GNOME 3.16 using portupgrade
portupgrade -arR and I faced with following error.
Could you please advise how to solve this problem?
thank you.
If you need more information, please let me know.
Code:
make[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/x11/gdm/work/gdm-3.16.2/docs'
gmake[3]: Entering directory '/usr/ports/x11/gdm/work/gdm-3.16.2'
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/x11/gdm/work/gdm-3.16.2'
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/x11/gdm/work/gdm-3.16.2'
gmake[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/x11/gdm/work/gdm-3.16.2'
===>  Staging for gdm-3.16.2
===>  gdm-3.16.2 depends on package: zenity>=3.0.0 - found
===>  gdm-3.16.2 depends on file: gnome-shell>=3.15.92 - not found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by gnome-shell-3.16.3 for building
===>  Extracting for gnome-shell-3.16.3
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for gnome3/gnome-shell-3.16.3.tar.xz.
===>  Patching for gnome-shell-3.16.3
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for gnome-shell-3.16.3
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on package: ca_root_nss>=0 - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: gnome-control-center - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: msgfmt - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: gmake - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: pkgconf - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/x11.pc - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xfixes.pc - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/sm.pc - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on package: gstreamer1-plugins>=1.4.0 - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/intltool-extract - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libstartup-notification-1.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libcaribou.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libcaribou.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libmutter.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libmutter.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgnome-keyring.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgnome-keyring.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgcr-3.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgcr-3.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libtelepathy-glib.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libtelepathy-glib.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libtelepathy-logger.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libtelepathy-logger.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libfolks.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libfolks.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libibus-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libibus-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libpulse.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libpulse.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libcroco-0.6.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libcroco-0.6.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libdbus-glib-1.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libclutter-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libclutter-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgjs.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgjs.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libintl.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libintl.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libatk-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libatk-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libedataserver-1.2.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libglib-2.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgnome-desktop-3.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgtk-3.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgirepository-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgirepository-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libxml2.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libpango-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libpango-1.0.so)
===>  Configuring for gnome-shell-3.16.3
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-ca-certificates
configure: loading site script /usr/ports/Templates/config.site
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... (cached) /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... (cached) /usr/bin/awk
checking whether gmake sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether gmake supports nested variables... yes
checking whether UID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking whether GID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... (cached) /usr/bin/tar
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking whether gmake supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... clang
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether clang accepts -g... yes
checking for clang option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether clang understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for style of include used by gmake... GNU
checking dependency style of clang... gcc3
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether clang++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of clang++... gcc3
checking build system type... amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2
checking host system type... amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... (cached) /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... (cached) /usr/bin/egrep
checking for fgrep... (cached) /usr/bin/fgrep
checking for ld used by clang... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... yes
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... (cached) 262144
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... no
checking how to convert amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2 file names to amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2 format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2 file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from clang object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... clang-cpp
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if clang supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking for clang option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if clang PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if clang static flag -static works... yes
checking if clang supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if clang supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the clang linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... freebsd10.2 ld.so
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... immediate
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... clang++ -E
checking for ld used by clang++... /usr/bin/ld
checking whether the clang++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking for clang++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if clang++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if clang++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if clang++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if clang++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the clang++ linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for intltool >= 0.40... 0.51.0 found
checking for intltool-update... /usr/local/bin/intltool-update
checking for intltool-merge... /usr/local/bin/intltool-merge
checking for intltool-extract... /usr/local/bin/intltool-extract
checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/local/bin/msgmerge
checking for msgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.20.2
checking for XML::Parser... ok
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.22... yes
checking for xsltproc... /usr/local/bin/xsltproc
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 3... python3
checking for python3... /usr/local/bin/python3
checking for python3 version... 3.4
checking for python3 platform... freebsd10
checking for python3 script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python3.4/site-packages
checking for python3 extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python3.4/site-packages
checking for GStreamer (needed for recording functionality)... yes
checking for TEST_SHELL_RECORDER... yes
checking for libsystemd-journal... no
auto
checking for GNOME_SHELL... yes
checking for MUTTER... yes
checking for GNOME_SHELL_JS... yes
checking for ST... yes
checking for SHELL_PERF_HELPER... yes
checking for SHELL_HOTPLUG_SNIFFER... yes
checking for TRAY... yes
checking for GVC... yes
checking for DESKTOP_SCHEMAS... yes
checking for BROWSER_PLUGIN... yes
checking for BLUETOOTH... no
checking for CALENDAR_SERVER... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libecal-1.2 >= 3.5.3 libedataserver-1.2 >= 3.13.90 gio-2.0) were not met:

Package dependency requirement 'libedataserver-1.2 >= 3.13.90' could not be satisfied.
Package 'libedataserver-1.2' has version '3.12.11', required version is '>= 3.13.90'

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables CALENDAR_SERVER_CFLAGS
and CALENDAR_SERVER_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
"/usr/ports/x11/gnome-shell/work/gnome-shell-3.16.3/config.log" including the
output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to
provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. a
/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome-shell
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gdm
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade20150811-1234-yqfv8e env UPGRADE_TOOL=portupgrade UPGRADE_PORT=gdm-3.14.2 UPGRADE_PORT_VER=3.14.2 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
--->  Skipping 'x11/gnome-shell' (gnome-shell-3.14.4) because a requisite package 'gdm-3.14.2' (x11/gdm) failed (specify -k to force)
--->  Skipping 'x11/gnome-shell-extensions' (gnome-shell-extensions-3.14.4) because a requisite package 'gnome-shell-3.14.4' (x11/gnome-shell) failed (specify -k to force)
--->  Skipping 'x11/gnome-terminal' (gnome-terminal-3.14.3) because a requisite package 'nautilus-3.14.2' (x11-fm/nautilus) failed (specify -k to force)
--->  Skipping 'x11/gnome3' (gnome3-3.14.2) because a requisite package 'gnome-terminal-3.14.3' (x11/gnome-terminal) failed (specify -k to force)
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
   - sysutils/fusefs-exfat (marked as IGNORE)
   ! devel/gnome-common (gnome-common-3.14.0)   (unknown build error)
   ! devel/appstream-glib (appstream-glib-0.2.6_2)   (install error)
   * devel/appstream-glib (appdata-tools-0.1.8_1)
   ! sysutils/tracker (tracker-1.2.6_2)   (new compiler error)
   * x11-fm/nautilus (nautilus-3.14.2)
   * sysutils/brasero (brasero-3.12.0_2)
   * archivers/file-roller (file-roller-3.14.2_1,1)
   * graphics/evince (evince-3.14.2_1)
   ! www/epiphany (epiphany-3.12.1_2)   (unknown build error)
   ! net/gnome-online-accounts (gnome-online-accounts-3.14.3)   (unknown build error)
   * net/grilo-plugins (grilo-plugins-0.2.13)
   * multimedia/totem (totem-3.14.1_2)
   * x11-fm/sushi (sushi-3.12.0_2)
   * deskutils/gnome-photos (gnome-photos-3.14.2)
   * deskutils/gnome-documents (gnome-documents-3.14.2)
   * databases/evolution-data-server (evolution-data-server-3.12.11_1)
   * multimedia/cheese (cheese-3.14.2_1)
   * sysutils/gnome-control-center (gnome-control-center-3.14.4)
   * mail/evolution (evolution-3.12.11_2)
   * net-im/folks (folks-0.10.1)
   * net-im/empathy (empathy-3.12.8)
   * deskutils/gnome-contacts (gnome-contacts-3.14.2)
   * deskutils/gnome-utils (gnome-utils-3.14.0,1)
   ! x11/gdm (gdm-3.14.2)   (configure error)
   * x11/gnome-shell (gnome-shell-3.14.4)
   * x11/gnome-shell-extensions (gnome-shell-extensions-3.14.4)
   * x11/gnome-terminal (gnome-terminal-3.14.3)
   * x11/gnome3 (gnome3-3.14.2)

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you try to manually upgrade the dependencies, either by directly listing them as arguments to portupgrade or by uninstalling and reinstalling from ports?

I upgraded x11/gnome-shell
with the command portupgrade gnome-shell and ended up
with same error. Do you have any clue? Thank you.
Code:
root@localhost:~ # portupgrade gnome-shell
[Reading data from pkg(8) ... - 993 packages found - done]
--->  Upgrading 'gnome-shell-3.14.4' to 'gnome-shell-3.16.3' (x11/gnome-shell)
--->  Building '/usr/ports/x11/gnome-shell'
===>  Cleaning for gnome-shell-3.16.3
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/sbin/pkg - found
===> Fetching all distfiles required by gnome-shell-3.16.3 for building
===>  Extracting for gnome-shell-3.16.3
=> SHA256 Checksum OK for gnome3/gnome-shell-3.16.3.tar.xz.
===>  Patching for gnome-shell-3.16.3
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for gnome-shell-3.16.3
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on package: ca_root_nss>=0 - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: gnome-control-center - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: msgfmt - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: gmake - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on executable: pkgconf - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/x11.pc - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/xfixes.pc - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig/sm.pc - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on package: gstreamer1-plugins>=1.4.0 - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on file: /usr/local/bin/intltool-extract - found
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libstartup-notification-1.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libstartup-notification-1.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libcaribou.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libcaribou.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libmutter.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libmutter.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgnome-keyring.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgnome-keyring.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgcr-3.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgcr-3.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libtelepathy-glib.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libtelepathy-glib.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libtelepathy-logger.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libtelepathy-logger.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libfolks.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libfolks.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libibus-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libibus-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libpulse.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libpulse.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libcroco-0.6.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libcroco-0.6.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libdbus-glib-1.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libdbus-glib-1.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libclutter-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libclutter-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgjs.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgjs.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libintl.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libintl.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libatk-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libatk-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libedataserver-1.2.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libedataserver-1.2.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libglib-2.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libglib-2.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgnome-desktop-3.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgnome-desktop-3.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgtk-3.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgtk-3.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libgirepository-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libgirepository-1.0.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libxml2.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libxml2.so)
===>  gnome-shell-3.16.3 depends on shared library: libpango-1.0.so - found (/usr/local/lib/libpango-1.0.so)
===>  Configuring for gnome-shell-3.16.3
configure: WARNING: unrecognized options: --with-ca-certificates
configure: loading site script /usr/ports/Templates/config.site
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking for a thread-safe mkdir -p... (cached) /bin/mkdir -p
checking for gawk... (cached) /usr/bin/awk
checking whether gmake sets $(MAKE)... yes
checking whether gmake supports nested variables... yes
checking whether UID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking whether GID '0' is supported by ustar format... yes
checking how to create a ustar tar archive... (cached) /usr/bin/tar
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles... yes
checking whether gmake supports nested variables... (cached) yes
checking for gcc... clang
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether clang accepts -g... yes
checking for clang option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking whether clang understands -c and -o together... yes
checking for style of include used by gmake... GNU
checking dependency style of clang... gcc3
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether clang++ accepts -g... yes
checking dependency style of clang++... gcc3
checking build system type... amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2
checking host system type... amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2
checking how to print strings... printf
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... (cached) /usr/bin/grep
checking for egrep... (cached) /usr/bin/egrep
checking for fgrep... (cached) /usr/bin/fgrep
checking for ld used by clang... /usr/bin/ld
checking for BSD- or MS-compatible name lister (nm)... /usr/bin/nm -B
checking the name lister (/usr/bin/nm -B) interface... BSD nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking the maximum length of command line arguments... (cached) 262144
checking whether the shell understands some XSI constructs... yes
checking whether the shell understands "+="... no
checking how to convert amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2 file names to amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2 format... func_convert_file_noop
checking how to convert amd64-portbld-freebsd10.2 file names to toolchain format... func_convert_file_noop
checking for /usr/bin/ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for objdump... objdump
checking how to recognize dependent libraries... pass_all
checking for dlltool... no
checking how to associate runtime and link libraries... printf %s\n
checking for ar... ar
checking for archiver @FILE support... no
checking for strip... strip
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking command to parse /usr/bin/nm -B output from clang object... ok
checking for sysroot... no
checking for mt... mt
checking if mt is a manifest tool... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... clang-cpp
checking for ANSI C header files... (cached) yes
checking for sys/types.h... (cached) yes
checking for sys/stat.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdlib.h... (cached) yes
checking for string.h... (cached) yes
checking for memory.h... (cached) yes
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes
checking for inttypes.h... (cached) yes
checking for stdint.h... (cached) yes
checking for unistd.h... (cached) yes
checking for dlfcn.h... (cached) yes
checking for objdir... .libs
checking if clang supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions... yes
checking for clang option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if clang PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if clang static flag -static works... yes
checking if clang supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if clang supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether the clang linker (/usr/bin/ld) supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether -lc should be explicitly linked in... no
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... yes
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build shared libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... no
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... clang++ -E
checking for ld used by clang++... /usr/bin/ld
checking for clang++ option to produce PIC... -fPIC -DPIC
checking if clang++ PIC flag -fPIC -DPIC works... yes
checking if clang++ static flag -static works... yes
checking if clang++ supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if clang++ supports -c -o file.o... (cached) yes
checking whether NLS is requested... yes
checking for intltool >= 0.40... 0.51.0 found
checking for intltool-update... /usr/local/bin/intltool-update
checking for intltool-merge... /usr/local/bin/intltool-merge
checking for intltool-extract... /usr/local/bin/intltool-extract
checking for xgettext... /usr/local/bin/xgettext
checking for msgmerge... /usr/local/bin/msgmerge
checking for msgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for gmsgfmt... /usr/local/bin/msgfmt
checking for perl... /usr/local/bin/perl
checking for perl >= 5.8.1... 5.20.2
checking for XML::Parser... ok
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.22... yes
checking for xsltproc... /usr/local/bin/xsltproc
checking pkg-config is at least version 0.16... yes
checking for a Python interpreter with version >= 3... python3
checking for python3... /usr/local/bin/python3
checking for python3 version... 3.4
checking for python3 platform... freebsd10
checking for python3 script directory... ${prefix}/lib/python3.4/site-packages
checking for python3 extension module directory... ${exec_prefix}/lib/python3.4/site-packages
checking for GStreamer (needed for recording functionality)... yes
checking for TEST_SHELL_RECORDER... yes
checking for libsystemd-journal... no
auto
checking for GNOME_SHELL... yes
checking for MUTTER... yes
checking for GNOME_SHELL_JS... yes
checking for ST... yes
checking for SHELL_PERF_HELPER... yes
checking for SHELL_HOTPLUG_SNIFFER... yes
checking for TRAY... yes
checking for GVC... yes
checking for DESKTOP_SCHEMAS... yes
checking for BROWSER_PLUGIN... yes
checking for BLUETOOTH... no
checking for CALENDAR_SERVER... no
configure: error: Package requirements (libecal-1.2 >= 3.5.3 libedataserver-1.2 >= 3.13.90 gio-2.0) were not met:

Package dependency requirement 'libedataserver-1.2 >= 3.13.90' could not be satisfied.
Package 'libedataserver-1.2' has version '3.12.11', required version is '>= 3.13.90'

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables CALENDAR_SERVER_CFLAGS
and CALENDAR_SERVER_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
See the pkg-config man page for more details.
===>  Script "configure" failed unexpectedly.
Please report the problem to gnome@FreeBSD.org [maintainer] and attach the
"/usr/ports/x11/gnome-shell/work/gnome-shell-3.16.3/config.log" including the
output of the failure of your make command. Also, it might be a good idea to
provide an overview of all packages installed on your system (e.g. a
/usr/local/sbin/pkg-static info -g -Ea).
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/x11/gnome-shell
** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa /tmp/portupgrade20150812-1481-rkkc2j env UPGRADE_TOOL=portupgrade UPGRADE_PORT=gnome-shell-3.14.4 UPGRADE_PORT_VER=3.14.4 make
** Fix the problem and try again.
** Listing the failed packages (-:ignored / *:skipped / !:failed)
   ! x11/gnome-shell (gnome-shell-3.14.4)   (configure error)
root@localhost:~ # whereis gnome-shell

Code:
You need to update databases/evolution-data-server. Please, be sure that you have your ports tree updated.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=393607

Code:
You need to update databases/evolution-data-server. Please, be sure that you have your ports tree updated.

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports?view=revision&revision=393607
Thanks cpm, upgrading databases/evolution-data-server did the trick.

I, too, have the disappearing character problem in emacs when I am using Lithuanian or some special French characters.
Here are some of the characters that disappear: ąčęėįš
Normal English characters are visible.
Also certain text in html files disappear in emacs until I shake the emacs window. For example in <TITLE>text</TITLE>
the "text" is invisible until the window is shaken.

I'm not sure if there's a meta-port for this, but how does one install just GNOME 3 Classic mode? I'd like to spin up an environment without the GNOME 3 shell overlay mess and just have the classic GTK3 session utilities.

I am very new to FreeBSD, the last install I did was v4.7, some years ago. I am currently unable to get GNOME3 working on my recently built FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE box. Here are the steps I completed:
  1. Installed GNOME3 on FreeBSD 11.0 using pkg install gnome3 which completed successfully.
  2. Installed XWindows using pkg install xorg which completed successfully.
Then, I added, what I thought was correct, to the appropriate files.
  1. Added
    Code:
    kern.vty=vt
    to /boot/loader.conf
  2. Added
    Code:
    proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
    to /etc/fstab
  3. Added
    Code:
    dbus_enable="YES"
    hald_enable="YES"
    gdm_enable="YES"
    gnome_enable="YES"
    to /etc/rc.conf
  4. Restarted machine.

Results.
When I reboot the computer, computer gets to CL login, screen blinks, displays (arrow (i.e. XWindows)) cursor for a second, then goes dark, display goes offline, and computer freezes. Cannot use Alt+F key to get out, computer is locked up.
The only way I can get back is boot up single user, then mount the "/" mount point with rw perms. Comment out the aforementioned lines from the files, then boot to multi-user as usual.

What am I missing? What did I do wrong?

You can remove kern.vty=vt from loader.conf, it's the default setting so there's no need to set it explicitly. Remove the gdm_enable and gnome_enable from rc.conf. You need to make sure Xorg itself is configured correctly first and this is easier to do if you use startx. Once Xorg works correctly you can re-enable GDM again.

Back