systemd gets inetd functions

I see that Ubuntu 22.10 delivers updates to OpenSSH "configured by default to use systemd socket activation, meaning that sshd will not be started until an incoming connection request is received. This reduces the memory footprint of Ubuntu Server on smaller devices, VMs or LXD containers."

So it seems that the systemd crowd are subsuming and re-inventing inetd(8).

We are systemd. Resistence is futile. :)

All joking aside. I'm wondering how long it'll take until systemd is the whole monolithic kernel kitchen sink that Linux was supposedly never meant to be.

To quote another entertainment/movie reference: You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain.

This reduces the memory footprint of Ubuntu Server on smaller devices, VMs or LXD containers.
Because sshd sitting there on a listen() takes so much memory.

top on an ubuntu 20.04 shows sshd with 1280 kb VIRT and 5644 kb RES. Wow tons of memory in use.

So systemd will start up sshd if it's not running, so we have a lag to actually start sshd and hand off the connection, when session is done, I'm assuming sshd exits, then repeat on startup so Hmm, maybe a bit of cache thrashing and other virtual memory actions?

Sigh. Poettering goes to MS, but others continue his work. Which is why I gave a like to Crivens post. For what it's worth, *lots* of Linux people loath systemd, enough of them so that many have made effort to create non-systemd systems, e.g., Devuan.

But now they can write "systemd-NG" to protect that.
And if it all blows up, they'll bring back systemd-classic, and wonder why people think it's a nice ghetto barbequeue. I think Lennard has a knack for leaving just in time before things get unfortunately complicated.

Completely off topic, but I just found out that firefox 106 enables you edit pdfs. So, even though I'm definitely quite a Luddite, and think that many new things in computing are solutions in search of a problem, occasionally, (quite infrequently) some bloated feature creep can be useful. Shucks there are people with a lot more knowledge than me who feel systemd does a lot of good things.

I did once see something interesting. It was to the effect that Poettering knew a lot about C but nothing about sytem administration.

Had to give another like for Crivens's new post. He keeps making me laugh. Hrrm, Cry Crivens and let loose .....(ran out of ideas that seemed funny)

firefox 106 enables you edit pdfs. So, even though I'm definitely quite a Luddite, and think that many new things in computing are solutions in search of a problem
I agree. A pdf reader should do just that. I don't want hyperlinks. I want to have to copy and paste links.
xpdf is ideal.

Absurd as it sounds I enjoy printing a pdf. Enter form data by hand then fax to recipient.
Dumb and clumsy but I control all stages. I don't trust an embedded pdf editor with my personal details.

Unlike systemd where system logs need a reader.
What will the amorphis blob absorb next???

We had a new user complaining about our startup time and messages the other day.
All I could think of is what mindset systemd has enabled. Part of the instant gratification crowd.
I want it all now.

The more the blob swells the more it makes rc.d look like the beauty queen. Simple and elegant.

We had a new user complaining about our startup time and messages the other day.
All I could think of is what mindset systemd has enabled. Part of the instant gratification crowd.
I want it all now.

The more the blob swells the more it makes rc.d look like the beauty queen. Simple and elegant.
The fun part is that systemd isn't any faster on startup than openrc ever was. I can't really say on runit, as I've never had a system use that to really give an comparison. Even the gentoo-openrc is questionable on how much longer it lasts. Last I heard Gentoo abandoned eudev (to an independent group of devs), I wouldn't be surprised next they will try get some distro take over openrc, fail and start abandoning that for another group scramble to maintain it in pieces.

Phishfry wrote "I agree. A pdf reader should do just that. I don't want hyperlinks. I want to have to copy and paste links.
xpdf is ideal" (I messed up with the quote feature of the forum)

Actually , in this case, I meant that I liked this particular feature. Prior to that, as FreeBSD is my main workstation, I'd have to ssh it over a Linux laptop and use the free version of masterpdfedit. Now I can do it on my FreeBSD machine. My handwriting is so bad, even printed, that I'm embarrassed to print and fill out and much prefer doing it with a program. Although of course, there have been times when it's necessary to do it that way for things, for example, that require a signature. Now that I'm old and decrepit and have to, on ocasion, deal with social security and medicare (two things for old people in the US for our non-US readers) this firefox thing, though it's bloat, will be useful. Shall I be a complete hypocrite and say, Aside from being able to edit pdfs, Firefox has gotten really bloated.

(We talked about librewolf before on the forums, which cuts out a lot of the telemetry and other garbage, and it's much faster than firefox. Only available on Linux for now).

To make this post really too long, as far as ct85711 says, I agree. Systemd isn't faster, especially when you get one of those running job at startup, wait 1 min, 30 seconds. Firstly, I don't care about boot time too much, and I think even Windows and Mac take awhile, getting their guis ready. Secondly, the fastest booting thing on a multiboot laptop that I have is Void, which as we've said, uses runinit.

The trick is you can use Linux without systemd, but there's a good chance you can't use Linux without elogind.

I started disliking systemd back in my early days in the Linux world because I used Manjaro and systemd would not do its job after an update. Ever since then that's been my experience with it.

that otherwise hard-depends on systemd.
Right there is the systemd problem in a nutshell. No application should EVER rely/depend on/mandate a specific init system.
If you're going to do that you're better off extending systemd to include KDE/GNOME/Wayland and every application that you would ever need to run.
It would be a simple system though. A single executable that you burn to a disk and boot into

Right there is the systemd problem in a nutshell. No application should EVER rely/depend on/mandate a specific init system.
If you're going to do that you're better off extending systemd to include KDE/GNOME/Wayland and every application that you would ever need to run.
It would be a simple system though. A single executable that you burn to a disk and boot into
Haha, at least making live bootable USB's are really simple now.

We would need a catchy name for it. Something suggesting it contains all... if I only had a catchy name ;)

Reactions: mer
how much memory can use the ssh daemon? 🤦‍♂️
go for another one big monster 🤣 .. thanks god that linux is not the only operating system over there

Back